Garbage on the golf course

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
Apparently we have someone who thinks because "it's organic" that they can just toss orange peels all over the place.... on the fairway. Now if I remember that trash is considered a moveable object, but these things like apples and banana peels are considered "natural" and thus are considered loose impediments. So if your ball moves, you're supposed to take a 1 stroke penalty. I came within a foot of one of these things today. Can't this player keep his orange peels in a ******* bag until the turn? It's the 9th hole. Why does he have to drop his trash on the fairway? I'm sick of it. I'm already paying inflated green fees and now I have to deal with this?

People are pigs.

People just have absolutely no manners, respect or give a darn these days. I see sunflower seed shells all over greens and trash everywhere pretty much daily on the course while working and pick up trash out of my yard when walking my dog almost every day. It is ridiculous.

Banana skins are magnificent fertiliser , as I would imagine orange skin ,,, have no problem with either dropped as paste of tree or bush to aid the plant. Or organic food waste ….

Having it dropped in fairway is just laziness , same with non recyclable rubbish , put it in your bag or sand bucket and drop it in the nearest rubbish bin ( next hole tee off )

It’s not hard - a little bit of thought goes along way

That is ridiculous…find out who it is.

If I have an apple or banana while on the course, I make sure the core/peel goes into the woods or the long grass. I'm not a savage.

Or, at least throw that kind or organic refuse into the woods. On a side note, I occasionally find sunflower seeds on the green. :rolleyes:

Apparently we have someone who thinks because "it's organic" that they can just toss orange peels all over the place.... on the fairway. Now if I remember that trash is considered a moveable object, but these things like apples and banana peels are considered "natural" and thus are considered loose impediments. So if your ball moves, you're supposed to take a 1 stroke penalty. I came within a foot of one of these things today. Can't this player keep his orange peels in a ******* bag until the turn? It's the 9th hole. Why does he have to drop his trash on the fairway? I'm sick of it. I'm already paying inflated green fees and now I have to deal with this?

Since when did Washington State begin growing natural oranges peels, bananas peels, and eaten apple cores?

It's trash ..................so why can't you consider them moveable objects to begin with?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the rules can chime in?

@Knot Right That's what I said, but the USGA made a decision about this a few years ago. You can remove them but you have to be careful about not moving your ball. If your ball moves, it's a one stroke penalty because they're "natural objects." Unlike with moveable obstruction where you can mark your ball, you can't mark your ball to remove this trash. To me? They're trash, but there are rules nazis out there.

@Nick Kane hit a tee shot and gets to the ball and there are solo cups and everything sitting there. Wtf is wrong with people.

I have no tolerance for littering! People need to be considerate!

I haven't seen anything like that, but I've spent more time picking up after others lately. Beer/soda cans, plastic cups, random paper products, etc. Losers being losers, is all.

Littering is one of my biggest pet peeves... hate it. Just like when I go fishing, I generally leave the course in better condition than when I arrived. At the very least, not worse. It's annoying to find wrappers, sunflower seed shells, plastic bottles, beer cans, etc. when out for a round.

I have yet to come across discarded fruit on the course. A wrapper blowing out of a cart is one thing, but blatantly throwing out your garbage is disgusting. My rule is if you don’t want it on your living room floor, don’t leave it on the course. And keep your seeds off the green!

Trash on the course really bothers me!

Our course has trash cans on hole #1, 3, 5, 7, 12, 14, and 16.

At every trash can I stop and ask everyone in the group if they have any trash. My buddies tease me about it.

It really chaps my azz when there are sunflower seed hulls on the green.

I don't mind the peels , just not in the fairway. That's just plain laziness. Unless it fell out of the cart, which I doubt. At least throw it in the woods or out of play, like under a tree. Biodegradable, so I don't mind it. I eat a banana 🍌 once in a while but at least I have the decency to throw it away. Plus don't most public courses have trash cans on like every hole?? :unsure:

Anything biodegradable is cool with me as long as it’s not on the fairway or green. Seeds on the green is inconsiderate for sure.

I see peoples dip and cigar nubs littered on the course frequently. Not a fan of seeing that.

Compostable, degradable, whatever.... its rude and inconsiderate. Toss your garbage at the next bin!

Compostable, degradable, whatever.... its rude and inconsiderate. Toss your garbage at the next bin!
Agree. I don’t care if it’s biodegradable or not, it shouldn’t be left lying around on the golf course. Treat the course like you’d treat your home, clean that ish up.

Agree. I don’t care if it’s biodegradable or not, it shouldn’t be left lying around on the golf course. Treat the course like you’d treat your home, clean that ish up.
We used to walk the courses with garbage bags here cleaning up as we played. The amount of crap was ridiculous. Wrappers, cigarette packages, cans everywhere.... just gross.

We used to walk the courses with garbage bags here cleaning up as we played. The amount of crap was ridiculous. Wrappers, cigarette packages, cans everywhere.... just gross.
When I’m riding in a cart I’ll pick stuff up and throw it away at the next trash can. I don’t have room on my push cart when I’m walking, but if it’s near the green or tee box I’ll pick it up and toss it.

What happens if the products are actually good for the course??

Back