Garmin approach z82 review

Golfmasta69

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,
Thinking of upgrading my old laser range finder and kinda leaning towards this one because in one device it also provides gps data - front, middle, back etc.

So curious what feedback there is out there for those that have used it or compared it to others. I get it that it's relatively pricey, but for me again i like the fact that i can get both the laser and gps functionality in one device.. ( don't really know of others that do that as well)

thanks!

Quick review:

Pros

- amazing info on the display, with a ton of information and different yardages to different targets in sight
- feature packed, perfect combo of rangefinder + GPS
- sleek package, great build
- if you are someone that likes technical information/have a yardage book/analytic approach to the game, this is next level and like a caddie

Cons

- shooting a target/lock on takes a second
- short battery life, but this is manageable if you’re good about charging it
- while the digital portion of the display is clear as day and as mentioned above, very informative, the field view is actually caught through a digital lens instead of a scope, resulting in a slightly grainy display, specially in low light
- super expensive

All in all, I love mine and i like to believe that it has actually helped me shave off a few strokes off of my game this past year. I do carry a backup Leupold GX-2i3 in my bag

awesome.. great to hear. sounds like it's worth a shot. i dont mind the tech.. as i have sorta been doing both using a range finder and an app from my phone, so thought might as well try a device with both features in one. Thanks again for the input!

you got it! before you pull the trigger, definitely check out the new shot scope rangefinder + GPS that THP just reviewed

Oh.. hadn't heard of that one..Will do:)

you got it! before you pull the trigger, definitely check out the new shot scope rangefinder + GPS that THP just reviewed
Cant seem to find it.. could you please send me that link.. thnks

A friend of mine who I play a lot of golf with has it. He is very happy with it and has no complaints. It is very nice and seems to have some very good features.

So I tried the Z82 on hole #1 of a local course (still snow) to test out the hole layout and get some initial thoughts. The unit seems to work quite well, however if I move the unit slightly from side to side or up and down, the display starts to go out of focus very quickly. It seems like the unit has a very narrow field of view or my unit has an issue. It happens when I'm looking at something down the fairway, or when just looking at the menu options. I can get the display quite sharp when my eye is perfectly centered in the eye piece, but if I start to wander slightly it starts to get blurry. Quite unfortunate. I'm not sure if I want to keep the unit or return it. Anyone notice this as well, or is it an issue with mine?

just picked one up brand new for $299 so I figured its worth a shot although im sure there's a new one coming sometime soon

ive had a Nikon coolshot pro stabilized the past 2 years and love it. Only reason im picking this one up is because i have 2 bags so sometimes ill forget to bring the Nikon and then gotta play without it which honestly sucks

first round with the z82 and pretty disappointed. Very slow response time to accurately lock on distance. I also dont care for the display/optic

Pro: I like that looking through the lens you can see the Digital display of the green and automatically see front, middle, and back distances

I got mine on a deal, but for the full $600 I would not be happy overall. I think I'll be looking to return mine and try out the Precision Pro R1

used this for 4 rounds now and ill be moving on from it. The response time is horrible for a unit that costs $600. The GPS technology is great, but overall the lens clarity sucks and the time it takes to lock on to the pin (and not highly successful at that) is pretty awful

My 3 year old Nikon pro stabilized is much more ideal for me

Back