Garmin G8 - Legal ?

Lynford

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I'm wondering about getting a new GPS (I can't get new courses for my current one as the company has gone bust)

I'm well known as a tech freak, I like things with all the whistles and bells and I was looking at the Garmin G8.

My question is - Is this legal for competition play ? The reason I thought it might be illegal is that is has a slope function, which CAN be turned off. My confusion is that using an iPhone App for competition is illegal, I believe because you can get weather / wind conditions and a compass ? Even if you don't use them ?
So is this Garmin illegal even if you don't use some of the functions available (just because they are available)
Also, has anyone got any thoughts on using this Garmin or thoughts on an alternative ?

Cheers !

i am sure the rules were relaxed on this and you can use your phone as a distance measuring device as long as you used this only and not the other features on your phone. As for the garmin i cant see any problems using it as long as you switch the slope feature off

I believe i saw an article that says you cannot use a GPS with slope capabilities during a tournament even if it is turned off. I will see if i can locate that and post here.

Hi,

I'm wondering about getting a new GPS (I can't get new courses for my current one as the company has gone bust)

I'm well known as a tech freak, I like things with all the whistles and bells and I was looking at the Garmin G8.

My question is - Is this legal for competition play ? The reason I thought it might be illegal is that is has a slope function, which CAN be turned off. My confusion is that using an iPhone App for competition is illegal, I believe because you can get weather / wind conditions and a compass ? Even if you don't use them ?
So is this Garmin illegal even if you don't use some of the functions available (just because they are available)
Also, has anyone got any thoughts on using this Garmin or thoughts on an alternative ?

Cheers !

GPS devices are only illegal if the competition doesn't explicitly say that they are legal. If nothing is mentioned allowing the use of GPS devices or laser rangefinders, then the devices are not permitted for a stipulated round.

Smart phones are now legal because the weather functions will not give you the conditions are your location. If the competition committee allows GPS devices, smartphones are legal to use.

I think it's funny that using a device with slope, weather or compass functions is illegal, but it's perfectly legal to hire another human being who has an encyclopedia of information about every break on every green and has measured distances from everywhere on the course, and knows precisely where north and south are. Oh, and they carry your stuff for you.

I think it's funny that using a device with slope, weather or compass functions is illegal, but it's perfectly legal to hire another human being who has an encyclopedia of information about every break on every green and has measured distances from everywhere on the course, and knows precisely where north and south are. Oh, and they carry your stuff for you.

Check the rules. Smartphones are not illegal.

Slope is illegal in tournament play. I have a Bushnell Pro X7 with Slope and I wish I purchased the one without Slope as I never use the feature. It really doesn't tell me anything I don't already know and in fact, I've found myself hitting long and short if I pick a club based on the "Slope" Distance.

Back