Getting fit for AMT shafts

swood35

Reaction score
For those that have been fit into AMT irons, how do you make a call on whether the progressive weighting and flex of each shaft works for you if you only get to hit the 7 iron? (Long story why things have changed since my fitting, but basically, I've recovered from an injury.) I'll preface this that I think I am oversensitive to differences in club to club.

I originally fitted into 95G F4 recoil shafts 3 years ago. The 4-6 feel perfect, the 7 (which was great for the first year) starts feeling a little light, the 8 even lighter (unable to maintain control with finesse shots) and the 9 and PW became almost unplayable for how quick they turned over (start lines 15 yards left). Fast forward and I took a leap and got heavier shafts for my 9i and pw and my local guy threw the AMT blacks into these. They feel amazing.... perfect flight, flex, and my start lines are dead on. BUT all of a sudden my mid irons almost feel too light in my hands and I'm turning them over a little. 4-5 iron feel good and 6 iron starts feeling a little light

I'm interested in getting fit for a new set and interested in the AMT's based on what I'm experiencing in my current set, but how do you really get comfortable that they will feel right if you only get to hit the 7i? I feel like these are the right shafts for me but that would be a big investment to rip them out later on.

So much like you I am oversensitive to differences in club weight. I can tell if a club set is properly swing weighted or not. It's annoying, I wish I didn't. That said, I am absolutely convinced a lot of it (for me) is between the ears. If I believe in what I am doing, it tends to work. If I have indecision....

To your question: I don't know where you live. But if there's any chance you live somewhere near a store that sells used sets, you should be able to talk your way into hitting a 5, a 7, and a P in that set. Even if the head isn't perfect, should get you somewhat the information you need.

As a last point of info, I have hit the titleist t300 with both ascending weight sets they offer - the AMT red and the Nippon AMC880. The specs are very similar. I find a significant difference in how they perform for me.

Also, if the irons feel "a little light" - why not just buy a little lead tape until they don't? See what that does to your ball flight. I'd do that at the range before I started pulling out shafts.

I'd get fit for the 7 and if you love it, go for it.

I’m also very sensitive to differences in overall weight and swingweight. Often times with constant weighted shafts my shorter irons can begin to feel a bit lighter than long and mid-irons. I custom ordered a set of T100-S with AMT Black and a Vokey 46° with AMT Black. Very happy with them ... just enough weight progression to satisfy me.

I was fit into AMT White with my ZX5’s. I personally wanted a better weight transition from my long irons to hybrid and woods, then again from my short irons to wedges. I felt like the AMT provided that and was stable through the set. I’d hit the stock Ping shafts before and really like the ascending weighting and knew I wanted something similar in my gamers. There is a chance you’re taking but a good fitter will be able to help tremendously.

Took a leap of faith and dropped the amt reds in.....perfect. I'm still getting the flight I liked out if my long irons but now I can actually take something off my 9i without losing left and right control.

I'm sure these are niche for people like me but absolutely game changing for me right now.

Took a leap of faith and dropped the amt reds in.....perfect. I'm still getting the flight I liked out if my long irons but now I can actually take something off my 9i without losing left and right control.

I'm sure these are niche for people like me but absolutely game changing for me right now.
Great to hear they’re working out!

Back