Getting older, distance, and trying to get or stay JACKED!!

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Another loft thread where someone mentioned jacking had me thinking about a friend who thought about doing a fitness thing this year, and instead just got new clubs, and has had a hell of a year. Couple saw some decent things with speed training, couple did that and are back where they were, another friend lost like 50 pounds and has been coming on strong. Etc etc.

Distance is a big element in the game we love and we all get older everyday.

As the season is winding down, what's the state of your distance? What did you do to gain this year? Did you regress, held the same? What worked and what didn't, and what do you have planned this fall/winter to get JACKED!? Or say jacked.

You can tell everyone here how you hit it too far already if you want, but they'll quietly resent you for it. :p

Could be anything from general/specific swing work, new "jacked" clubs lol, speed training, hitting more fairways (people always forget that one), a fresh fitness goal, a knee replacement, all kinds of stuff. Whatcha got?

All the text changes in this OP give me anxiety 😱

The Axius Core unit!

Love this thread.

I'm 43 this year. I've never been a long hitter, but I've increased distance over the last 5 years in a couple of ways. First, just getting better contact. Center of face contact just imparts so much more energy! Second, during my round yesterday, I made a small change that resulted in swinging more freely. I had 2 or 3 of the longest drives I've had all year, maybe in a couple of years.

Add to that that I lost 30 lbs in the last 2 years, and general fitness level has gone up.

That thread made me think of my friend because he had real plan to get in shape and get some distance back, but realized it just wasn't going to happen. Then took a couple lessons and realized getting it there was going to take some effort too. Went with the new Tec X and hasn't regretted it a bit. He adds some loft at impact but is a solid player, just getting older, getting slower, habits getting harder to break. Worked great for him. Best cap and most fun he's had in years. All because of the almighty jackage. :p We really need to remove the idea of jacked as bad. Jacked is good. Jacked is fun. That dude talked mad **** on course this year and I feel like that type of confidence actually got him a girl, too. He definitely did get richer or more handsome...

My yardages went up significantly this year once I realized my rangefinder had been set to meters for who knows how long

All the text changes in this OP give me anxiety 😱
I fixed it a little for you, you ***** little *****! :p

This type of can't-do attitude is never going to get you jacked, btw. :LOL:

Just need to get back into working out. I like to just do some cardio (peloton or heavy bag) and some light weight lifting (dumbells only, maxed at 50s). Been months since I've done it.

I fixed it a little for you, you ***** little *****! :p

This type of can't-do attitude is never going to get you jacked, btw. :LOL:
Looks a little better. Appreciate it 😘😂

Last edited:
Love this thread.

I'm 43 this year. I've never been a long hitter, but I've increased distance over the last 5 years in a couple of ways. First, just getting better contact. Center of face contact just imparts so much more energy! Second, during my round yesterday, I made a small change that resulted in swinging more freely. I had 2 or 3 of the longest drives I've had all year, maybe in a couple of years.

Add to that that I lost 30 lbs in the last 2 years, and general fitness level has gone up.
That's awesome! I should ask some golf specific questions about it, but I was a trainer for a long time so my biggest curiosity is if results like that have contributed to you continuing to put the effort in? I mean hitting drives like you never have before is a little addictive. Does that help fuel the drive?

Just need to get back into working out. I like to just do some cardio (peloton or heavy bag) and some light weight lifting (dumbells only, maxed at 50s). Been months since I've done it.
Has it affected things on course? Have you lost any distance? Would you be hoping to pick any up through equipment in the near future?

Right now I'm concentrating on fairly narrow goals: Goal #1: Get my new full swing down right. Goals #2, #3, and #4: Get my short game back, get my putting back, learn how to hit out of bunkers.

I am doing some fitness work at home, but I've not returned to the gym, yet, because I've been out for a while, don't want to get all stiff and sore right now, and possibly interfere with Goal #1.

When the season's over I'll return to the gym. I expect getting back in shape will improve the work I've done this season.

As for distance: Dunno, for sure. All I know is, when I did some hitting off the mat in the back yard a couple weeks ago, my 7i was getting out to at least 150 yards at times. If my longer clubs are commensurate with that I think I'll be satisfied with my distances. If that turns out to be the case, I don't know if I'll even bother with swing speed training and chance blowing up my swing.

The last time I tried to get "Jacked" I had my right hip replaced ... didn't work. This time while lifting, I tore a tendon in my shoulder ... didn't work. Still in search of that "jacked" feeling though.
Oh you mean ... strong lofts?? Yes well ... my T100S irons do have a bit of a strong loft but I haven't hit them yet because they haven't been delivered ... so that doesn't work either. :banghead:

Can you share a quick bit about your goals through using it here?

For me it was to help with lower back pain, but my trainer Jackie said due to increases in my strength and flexibility, I will see distance gains as well!

I did nothing. I finished the last two seasons injured, so this year I didn’t push it. Distance is OK, but I’m hoping to get after it next year with a better overall fitness foundation.

I've done a lot this year fitness-wise to improve my distance and golf game. Strength training and weight loss I believe have directly contributed to my playing better golf. The most dramatic gain has been with Driver.

Start of the season:
Start Distance.PNG

Now:
Last 10 distance.PNG
There were certainly some swing issues that I cleaned up that helped add to the distance I'm seeing but I don't think I would have seen as much of a gain without the fitness aspect. (I lost my 'GW' tag so I had to use the SW tag for it)

I'm going to keep at it with the fitness/diet/and wellness plan. It's just my lifestyle now. At 44 I feel better than I ever have both physically and mentally and I want that to continue. I keep saying I'll add yoga for more flexibility but I never end up following through. Maybe this winter will be different?

I feel like I’m in a weird spot this year where I’ve gained distance with my irons and somehow lost some with the driver. I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t all due to club delivery. Face angle, path, strike etc…

I tried speed training last winter and then gave up on it when my swing wasn’t in a good place. I may try it again this year but also while working with an instructor to keep my swing in shape. He swings 125 mph and I’m a little jealous.

I’m determined to get back to the shape I was in about 3 years ago. Not jacked at all but better than where I am now.

Distance for me is mostly taking good easy swings. I'm a chronic over-swinger and when I dial it back to 75% I crush the ball so adding distance is mostly just practicing for me.

That said, I really dialed it back in the gym nursing golfers/tennis elbow the last 2 years after power lifting for 20 years and saw some distance loss. I have been back to some heavy squat workouts lately and with muscle memory my strength is way up super fast and it's paying off with the driver. My long drives the last couple months have been much further than normal and closer to what I used to see when I was 20 pounds heavier.

I haven’t lost distance this year which is a positive since it looks like I’ll need right shoulder surgery over the winter. My left shoulder has already been rebuilt.😀

The last time I tried to get "Jacked" I had my right hip replaced ... didn't work. This time while lifting, I tore a tendon in my shoulder ... didn't work. Still in search of that "jacked" feeling though.
Oh you mean ... strong lofts?? Yes well ... my T100S irons do have a bit of a strong loft but I haven't hit them yet because they haven't been delivered ... so that doesn't work either. :banghead:
Alright so lifting your way to jackage probably not meant to be. Have you looked at less traditional or lower impact options there. I'm a gym guy, lift 4 days a week, but some of that is going to have to change a little soon. We get older...

So did you go for the S over maybe the 100 to try to gain or get some back? Or even have a little swing cushion? I used to love having a little stronger club in the 4,5,6 so I could swing just a little less hard, and focus on accuracy. Kind of a wedge mentality in the long irons. The slightly stronger lofts and distance let me do that and keep gaps the same while being more accurate.

Distance is much improved this year across all clubs, the swing changes are obviously helping, and I’m using my body much more efficiently than I was last year. Here’s the off-season plan of attack to come into ‘23 JACKED.
1. Continue Fit4Golf workouts. After a few months of the programming I feel like my shoulders and hips are turning better. My shoulder mobility kind of sucks due to some old injuries, so I’m going to pay attention to that and get yoga in when I can. Since adding more weights and less body weight work I feel like the power is there.
2. More cardio.
1/2a. Continue with sobriety. My body has been operating much better since quitting drinking.
3. Continue with full-swing lessons to find the Center of the face, turns out it actually helps 🤔.
4. See my local fitting shop about shafts for my woods/UT. If there’s a few more yards in there with some better dispersion I want it.

1st. Take full advantage of being fit by the best into some great gear.
2nd. Continue my strength training routine. Squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press. All these have helped me add distance and clubhead speed.
3rd. Look into maybe a second-hand Stack system. I believe I would benefit from it, and winter is a great time to work on speed training.

I moved up to the senior tees.

Lots of ways to get jacked. I've mentioned score jacking before. lol That's probably the easiest way to not lose ground and not put in jack efforts. Move it on up!

Back