Give me just one tip for my first year of golf

or you can just be one the lucky ones who will pick it up relatively easy and be approaching a 10 cap within 2 seasons. And do it all without too much help from anyone.

Don't get frustrated hitting bad shots. You're not thatgood, it's going to happen. Just make sure you have fun and the bad shots will slowly reduce. You're still going to hit them...golf is hard.

My main advice, and you're already planning it, is get some lessons early. I played for 20 something years before my first lesson and wish I had done it long ago.

Anti-minimalists will scream, but I suggest a 7 club bag for the first year. Driver or 3 wood for the tee shots, odd or even irons (or mixture with what your comfortable with), a PW, SW, and putter. 14 clubs is a lot of hardware to digest for a beginner. You can add extra clubs as your game gets better.

Last edited:
Anti-minimalists will scream, but I suggest a 7 club bag for the first year. Driver or 3 wood for the tee shots, odd or even irons (or mixture with what your comfortable with), a PW, SW, and putter. 14 clubs is a lot of hardware to digest for a beginner. You can add extra clubs as your game gets better.

This is really helpful as it was something I've been thinking about in terms of a core set of clubs.

Have fun! Enjoy it.

No one cares how bad you golfas long as you keep pace. They are too busy sucking themselves. Golf is hard
This was the worst advice I got when I started playing. It’s not that it’s wrong but man I rushed every shot and had to learn you don’t have to try and play 18 in under 2 hours 🤣

That’s just me though.

If I had one tip, it would be find your OWN game and be cautious of the myriad of tips you will get. :cool: :golf2:

Swing easy, have a lot of fun, and keep your frustrations to a very low minimum.

Novices will hit a lot of poor shots at the beginning of their golf journey. Don't let the game beat you up before you even get started.

Someone coined the golf phraise "you're not good enough to get mad" . It really is good advice.

Work on the proper grip and alignment.

Hit TONS of wedges and practice your short game (chipping, pitching and putting). You will be doing alot of this and it will drive your scoring.

Like so many others have said, I would highly recommend lessons. It will put you so much further down the road than trying to do it on your own.

My old man, who is my best pal and favourite golf partner ever gave me too soundbites that have stuck with me forever and has got me through so many bad rounds and patches....

"you do realise, don't you, that you're not good enough to get upset at a bad shot?"

"the cemetery is full of people who wish they could play that badly"

Both of them stopped me in my tracks, and I remember them every bad round I have.

As others have said, make sure you work on gripping the club correctly on each and every shot. If your grip is not good, you'll lose control of the club face and even if your overall swing is good, shots may not turn out so good.

Ask the pro that you get a lesson from for a quick fundamental checklist (grip,aim, alignment, posture,,etc) that you can go through for each shot

Good luck !!!

If a playing partner gives you a tip, ignore it!!!!!

or you can just be one the lucky ones who will pick it up relatively easy and be approaching a 10 cap within 2 seasons. And do it all without too much help from anyone.

Speaking for a couple friends, I know of golfers who would consider quiting the game if their handicap ballooned to double digits. ;)

Don't stress when things don't go right, just enjoy the process. Enjoy being outside. Enjoy it when you hit one flush. Let all the rest of it just come with time. It's a great game, but frustrating at times.

This was the worst advice I got when I started playing. It’s not that it’s wrong but man I rushed every shot and had to learn you don’t have to try and play 18 in under 2 hours 🤣

That’s just me though.

I would say that as a beginner playing with others, sometimes it is ok to pick up your ball and move to the next hole. If my 15 year old son didn't do this occasionally at a certain course we play, we would never make it home.

Play as much as you can, but don't give a darn about the score.

Have fun, learn the game, and learn to look forward to the little things that make golf great.

Make sure you have your favorite adult beverage close by at all times. Never know when you’re gonna need it

Lots of really useful advice already given...

I'll add not to be intimidated by other golfers - remember that everyone was a beginner at some point. So long as you're trying to learn, respecting the rules and other players, you're ultimately out there to have some fun.

Use a FootJoy Raingrip golf glove during the summer when it's sweaty weather.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect." Arnold Palmer

Have fun with it and don’t hold back!

It’s a game and you can play it how you like. If you want a lesson or new equipment, get it. Don’t let anybody tell you how to live your golf journey.

Back