Going To A Live Golf Event?

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I have been to NFL games, so many college football games I can't even count, and a couple of MLB games. I am thinking my next quest is a live golf event. The Wyndham is only an hour from me, but Lord, standing out in the heat and humidity for that long... Nope. Has anyone ever attended a Korn Ferry Tour event? Was it good? Worth the money? Any other golf tournaments worth a go in the south central VA and very north part of North Carolina I don't know about (that are good)?

I used to go to the Houston Open every year and enjoyed it. I would spend some time on the driving range watching guys hit. I would find a group that didn't have many people following so I could be close and watch someone play a full round or 9. I would somehow walk all 18 holes, maybe bouncing between a few different players. I would at some point find a grandstand and sit and watch for a while to rest. Overall I always enjoyed it. I stopped going after my Dad passed because it was always something we did together.

Never been to a KFT event. Would love to. Solheim Cup event is in VA in Sept I believe

Back in the 80’s I attended the Bay Hill event 2x. I wasn’t really wowed. I saw the gods but really couldn’t spend the day watching and wandering. I also saw a Kyocera lpga event in San Diego. I enjoyed that a bit more, less crowds, closer to the action, but again spending the day or weekend just wasn’t my thing.

One thing I like to do for events is get a spot on the tee box near where the players and caddies congregate to catch any conversation and an up close view of them hitting.

I would really enjoy going to an LPGA event. The crowds aren't as big, the environment doesn't seem as hectic, and the ladies play great golf.

One thing I like to do for events is get a spot on the tee box near where the players and caddies congregate to catch any conversation and an up close view of them hitting.
This is enjoyable no matter what tour you’re on. The banter back and forth alone is usually really good for learning a thing or two

I used to go to the Houston Open every year and enjoyed it. I would spend some time on the driving range watching guys hit. I would find a group that didn't have many people following so I could be close and watch someone play a full round or 9. I would somehow walk all 18 holes, maybe bouncing between a few different players. I would at some point find a grandstand and sit and watch for a while to rest. Overall I always enjoyed it. I stopped going after my Dad passed because it was always something we did together.
Perfectly stated.

Find a player or group who might not be the top bill and follow them. I had Fred Couples pretty much to myself in 1991 @ the US Open. On one particular hole I was all alone on the left side of the tee box. Fred hit a perfect drive, when he walked by me I said "nice ball Fred". He looked me right in the eye and said Thank you. I know its a small thing but I remember that moment like it happened yesterday.

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend it. Something I'm looking to start doing again now that my son is interested in golf.

Was lucky enough to get to 2 Ryder Cups and a British Open on corporate hospitality. But whilst I spent some time in the centre eating (and drinking ;)) I was hosting keen golfers from my client and we walked the course for a while on all 3 to follow some players - Tiger notably - along with many thousands of other fans.

Good shout on spending some time on the tees to hear the conversations between caddies and players....

I went to a KFT event when it was the Hogan Tour. It was a lot of fun. Not very crowded and got to see some great golf.

Been to a few. All locally.
I was at Shinnecock on Saturday in '95.
US Open 2009 at the Black also on Saturday.

The best was I marshalled at the Black 2019 for the PGA championship. Inside rope access when on shift and free admission all week plus other cool perks like hats, shirts, rain jacket, merch discounts, meal-drink vouchers, special parking etc..Its great to be up close and hear the conversations too. Some guys are all business, others like to mix it up.
Francesco Molinari was a stand out. Great guy, funny, outgoing and shook hands.

If you ever have a chance go see a practice round. Its a very loose and convivial atmosphere. If you're a PGA marshal or volunteer you also get 2 days of comp practice tickets for friends/ family.

Went to the 2012 Ryder Cup. While there were times there that the energy was insane there were also a lot dull times waiting for action to catch up to me where I was on the course. There was no chance I was going to follow a group as there are way to many people trying to do that with so few actual groups moving around the course. Singles day was better but still not that many groups to watch.

Been a few times to the Waste Management as well. That is its own thing and I have not been in a few years. I was lucky enough to get hospitality tickets on 18 and enjoyed views of the green and also 10 tee. I walked around and when I went you could avoid 16,17,18 and get a good experience watching the rest of the course with a lot fewer people.

I went to the Northern Trust and PGA Championship. The humidity at the Northern Trust was unbearable because of a tropical storm moving in.

I personally prefer practice rounds. I was at a practice round for the PGA and it was a way better experience. Easy to get around, the crowded and you see more shots. It might have just been the course but it was so difficult getting around at the Northern Trust

I would really enjoy going to an LPGA event. The crowds aren't as big, the environment doesn't seem as hectic, and the ladies play great golf.
I've been to the Byron Nelson a few times when it was in Los Colinas. I've been to the LPGA event here in DFW a few times. I took my daughter when she was younger. I buddy and i went out last minute back in 2022.

I prefer the LOGA event for the reasons you mentioned. It's well attended, but you don't feel crowded. You can get on the rope line for any hole or follow any group easily. You don't have to fight the herd or sit 5 fans deep on a hole.

And as you mention, they play some absolutely amazing golf. While it's more relatable to the men in regards to the distance they hit, their accuracy is on another planet.

I used to go every year to what was then known as the Western Open when it was held at Butler National just outside of Chicago. What I liked was seeing the course the way the players saw it which is entirely different than what is seen on the television. You see how the layout dictates what the players can or can’t do. This was back in the 80’s when Jack, Tom Watson, Seve And Greg Norman were the players to watch. Being next to Greg Norman when he was blasting tee shots is something that has stuck with me to this day. I used to take my mom with me. She was such a trooper while I dragged her all over the course. Practice days are great because you were allowed to take pictures and getting autographs was easy. Wear comfortable shoes.

I’m sure the KF Tour would be enjoyable. I’ve only ever been to one event, the WGC when it used to be held at Firestone, it was probably 2002-2003ish, very very busy of course as Tiger was in his most dominant years.

Driving range, putting green, chipping green, #1 tee, #10 tee, #9 green, #18 green is an easy way to get your fill of a LOT of shots without walking yourself silly. The odds of seeing that one player hit that one shot are pretty slim.

I’ve been to a Ryder Cup and majors and tour events both sides of the pond. All have been fantastic experiences. Seeing a pro hit a ball in real life really does bring home just how different a game they play. If you do go to an event, I’d highly recommend spending some time at the range.

I think just about any high level golf event is worth going to. I've been to several PGA Tour events & a Ryder Cup and don't feel a need to go back any time soon. It's great to do once in a while and see the stars up close, but much better to follow the actual event at home on TV. Some alternatives are good, too. I'm sure a KF event would be fun. I went to a US Open practice round at the Country Club and that was very interesting too. Much more relaxed and you could get closer to the players, chat with them a bit, etc. And also see the course a little more easily. Couple years ago I went to an NCAA golf regional at Yale and that was even more relaxed, hardly any crowds and you can basically walk along with the players if you want (but don't really do that!).

Back