Oxford dictionary below
b2fa30484f6d2f88b4c0f4089259985c.jpg
Yeah, I missed that because I saw the ad and since all the real definitions were listed already, I assumed there was nothing else.

I just lost a little respect for Oxford.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I missed that because I saw the ad and since all the real definitions were listed already, I assumed there was nothing else.

I just lost a little respect for Oxford.

IMO, this a situation where Oxford and others have simply recognized that a lot of people use “golf” as a verb, whether it makes sense or not.

I still stand by my example of “baseball” which is a noun, but no one says they are “baseballing”. It’s just not accepted. Yet enough people use the noun golf as a verb, so it is accepted.

IMO, this a situation where Oxford and others have simply recognized that a lot of people use “golf” as a verb, whether it makes sense or not.

I still stand by my example of “baseball” which is a noun, but no one says they are “baseballing”. It’s just not accepted. Yet enough people use the noun golf as a verb, so it is accepted.
Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's right... or correct.

Semantics.

Punch, flop, stinger, chip, bagging, gaming... they're all words that have been borrowed, then taken to mean something entirely different than their origin.

Who cares? I sure don't.

You can play golf while I go golfing. Both end up in the same place even when one cares more than the other about the description of the mutually enjoyed activity.

Besides, do we really wanna invalidate all of the "I'd Rather Be Golfing" bumper stickers out there?

Besides, do we really wanna invalidate all of the "I'd Rather Be Golfing" bumper stickers out there?

I'm good with that. Should've said "I'd rather be playing golf" in the first place.

I think this can all be traced back to AOL's sloppy and invasively poor grammar and its insidious impact upon modern language as a whole. The problem was then exacerbated by Hollywood and their whimsically silly movie...

"You've Got Mail."

You Have Got Mail???

It's been decidedly downhill ever since then and has only escalated my need to clear my head and golf as often as possible.

I think this can all be traced back to AOL's sloppy and invasively poor grammar and its insidious impact upon modern language as a whole. The problem was then exacerbated by Hollywood and their whimsically silly movie...

"You've Got Mail."

You Have Got Mail???

It's been decidedly downhill ever since then and has only escalated my need to clear my head and golf as often as possible.
Your need to clear your golf?

Yes. Head, schedule, path, hips and golf. I need to clear my golf. As I golf, while golfing.

Yes. Head, schedule, path, hips and golf. I need to clear my golf. As I golf, while golfing.
Schedule?

I keep seeing this thread and keep wondering why people care so much. With the slang /ebonics/poor grammar rampant in the US is there really any reason to argue this? It's like that friend who thinks it's their job to be the grammar police and spends their time during social events correcting everyone's speech. Do they not know how everyone perceives them? It's not necessary, wanted, or worth the breath it takes. If someone makes a point like that on a golf course and embarrasses someone I will be the jerk who intentionally says it the wrong way as many times possible the rest of the round to annoy them. My 2 cents.. There's enough legitimate things to debate.. This seems petty to me and no one benefits from the argument.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Golf As a Verb

This is where a lot of the conversation has gone astray. The former does NOT suggest that golf is a verb. In the former the word used was "golfing" not "golf".

That’s exactly my point.....I believe golf is a noun. But many people take the noun “golf” and turn it into a verb (the former golfing).

This thread is hilarious, grammar ninjas out in full force. It went down the exact rabbit hole I expected it. I don't care how you or anyone else choose to use the word golf in everyday life. I'll just sit over here waiting for me next chance for sunshine and golf.

I keep seeing this thread and keep wondering why people care so much. With the slang /ebonics/poor grammar rampant in the US is there really any reason to argue this? It's like that friend who thinks it's their job to be the grammar police and spends their time during social events correcting everyone's speech. Do they not know how everyone perceives them? It's not necessary, wanted, or worth the breath it takes. If someone makes a point like that on a golf course and embarrasses someone I will be the jerk who intentionally says it the wrong way as many times possible the rest of the round to annoy them. My 2 cents.. There's enough legitimate things to debate.. This seems petty to me and no one benefits from the argument.

I think the OP suggested it to be a light-hearted thread. I'm not sure anyone really cares that much.

I think the OP suggested it to be a light-hearted thread. I'm not sure anyone really cares that much.
Certainly.. And I hope I didn't take out to a serious place.. Lol. I was just thinking out loud about how I would react if I saw this correction take place in real life. I have a family member who likes correcting everyone's grammar and I'm the type of person that never wants to embarrass anyone. I have the mediator personality so I'm the one who pulls the person aside and helps them understand how they are being perceived in order to calm things down. In all seriousness, I just hope that whether you go golfing or play golf that you golf your ball and score well.

Certainly.. And I hope I didn't take out to a serious place.. Lol. I was just thinking out loud about how I would react if I saw this correction take place in real life. I have a family member who likes correcting everyone's grammar and I'm the type of person that never wants to embarrass anyone. I have the mediator personality so I'm the one who pulls the person aside and helps them understand how they are being perceived in order to calm things down. In all seriousness, I just hope that whether you go golfing or play golf that you golf your ball and score well.

Do you also pull the person aside that doesn't know how to speak properly and let THEM know how they're being perceived so they can fix the errors of their ways?

Do you also pull the person aside that doesn't know how to speak properly and let THEM know how they're being perceived so they can fix the errors of their ways?

Nope.. I am not an English teacher and do not feel it is my place. If I'm on a golf course trying to enjoy a round with friends I want to make sure everyone can enjoy what we've paid money for. Unnecessarily calling someone out / embarrassing them because of your own pet peeve just doesn't sit well with me as I don't see it accomplishing what you hope to. It makes things awkward, and if anything just ensures that person (and potentially others) will not include you in the next round they plan. Our culture has embraced poor grammar and you see it across marketing / advertisement campaigns. I don't see how you can actually influence the change you want without becoming an English teacher who cares and can help mold young minds and teach them the importance of using correct grammar. You will have to fight the influence that society has on them but if you take up that task then I will certainly tip my hat to you. I just believe there's a correct time and place and don't see the value in being a grammar police to people who are already set in their ways. If you've seen people change their grammar by confronting them then maybe I'm wrong but I've only seen the opposite.

Bingo! We’ve have a winner!

i say "golfing"....i tell the wife i am going golfing today...lol...but i see what you're saying

i say "golfing"....i tell the wife i am going golfing today...lol...but i see what you're saying
Well, the first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem. :clown:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, golf is both a noun and a verb. I'll go with that.

Attachments

• Golf definition.jpg
    Golf definition.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, golf is both a noun and a verb. I'll go with that.
That doesn't surprise me.

Back