Golf Ball Wear and Tear

Rock26

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello Everyone..

As my game has improved I have been able to play one ball for multiple rounds.

Now I am curious how much damage to your golf ball will you allow before replacing it?

Outside of obvious performance affecting cuts/deep scuffs/etc, if it looks like it needs to be cleaned, and I go to clean it, and it's scuffed/rubbed enough to still look dirty, it's out.

No cuts or scuffs, if any of those it goes into the shag bag.

It’s just up to you. Some are overly critical of it, others don’t care. I played the same ball for 90 holes once, it was beaten by the end, but fine.

Good question, Im interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well! Typically I lose a ball before it gets too beaten up lol. But, Ill continue playing with one for sure with 1-2 minor scrapes/scruffs. Beyond that I dont, even though its probably a very minimal affect on my game.

I would probably change out big scratches and stuff but nothing small. I don't know how much performance it impacts but I think it would be a mental thing for me.

Once it gets scuffed or marked, I take out of play. I have a large inventory of one-hit wonders.

Unless visibly damaged, or I think it's not flying, or rolling right, I don't change a ball out for a couple of rounds. After 36 holes, the ball goes into my shag bag.

Something I have done in the past is play ball #1 for 6 holes, #2 for 6 holes, and #3 for 6 holes. I play a sleeve of 3 balls during one, 18 hole round. I will play that sleeve for 3 rounds. Just messing a round.

Obviously it depends on how well I'm playing, and if I'm not losing any balls.

I'll continue to play a ball that has scuffs on it, but if it has "whiskers" I'll either cut them off with my pocket knife or take it out of play if they're extensive.

Years ago I actually played a ball that had a small hole/indentation in it. I had to dig a little deep to get rid of some cart path rash. You could see the layer below the white cover, maybe the size of the tip of a wooden tee. I was surprised that I didn't really notice any degraded performance. Does that say something about the ball or my game?

I'll continue to play a ball that has scuffs on it, but if it has "whiskers" I'll either cut them off with my pocket knife or take it out of play if they're extensive.

Years ago I actually played a ball that had a small hole/indentation in it. I had to dig a little deep to get rid of some cart path rash. You could see the layer below the white cover, maybe the size of the tip of a wooden tee. I was surprised that I didn't really notice any degraded performance. Does that say something about the ball or my game?
You want the honest answer? :LOL:;)

As inconsistent as I am swing to swing I've never noticed any performance issues with minor scuffs and scrapes so I keep them in play, but everyone is different. Last round my cartner noticed a sharp course grain of sand partially embedded in the cover of his new ProV upon finishing the 5th hole. Must've happened one the nice fairway bunker shot he played. I would've just towled the ball to dislodge it and played on but he stashed it for his tee shot on 15, a little 125 yarder over water. One rub with his thumb dislodged that tiny grain before he dunked it in the pond.

I’ll play a ball for a few rounds if it only has minor scuffs on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regular play I will sometimes play a ball that gets fairly scuffed up. In tourney/league play always use a good ball.

Unless the cover has a legitimate cut in it, I usually play until I lose it

I’ll keep them in play if they’re scuffed, but obviously not if they’re cut/cracked. I can’t really keep track of how many holes I play a ball because I throw them back in the bag at the end of a round, and the next round I randomly dig out the first two balls I grab - might be new, might be old, might be a mix.

Normally when there is physical damage to the outside of the ball that could mess with performance.
Most of the time I do not have to worry about this since I sacrifice many balls to the golfing gods, so they will continue protecting the club-ho community.
You are welcome

I lose balls too quickly... I don't worry about cart path rash, cuts, scrapes, stains...

Back in the day I had a 5W that would cut the cover of my ball badly enough that the ball would corkscrew in flight. I thought that was awesome and wanted it to happen all the time.

I'll play with a light scuff, but any cuts at all, or multiple scuffs, I put it in with my practice balls. Also, sometimes if I hit a shot I don't like and nobody's behind me, I'll hit that shot again with the ball I've taken out of play. I never count that shot though.

I do not share your problem it it has been interesting to read the responses.

I usually play the same ball until it has significant scuffs or I lose it in the drink whichever comes first. If the former I’d guesstimate 1.5 to 2 rounds.

Back