Golf balls for slow swing speeds

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
One of my playing partners was told that they should play a high spin ball because they will get more distance, and yet, they have a very slow swing speed.

This seems contrary to what I have read here and elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but high spin balls are typically higher compression and would "generally" require higher swing speed to compress the ball and therefore generate more distance.

I'm of the opinion that they would be better off playing a ball with a lower compression that not only feels more comfortable to play, but instills confidence that they can compress the ball for more distance.

I am also a slower swinger and in my own personal testing, I have found that balls with a compression between 70-80 provide the most distance and the feel that I prefer.

Am I missing something?

Don't think you are missing anything,.. I am also a slow swinger specially when it is 40 deg in Seattle (which is why my drivers are 48" long). , I use a softer ball like a SuperSoft in the winter ... I just like a ball that feels good. Chrome Soft is another I like year around.:love:

Your thought process definitely sounds correct compared to what your friend was told

I read somewhere slower swing speeds, softer ball, it stays on the club face longer and therefore has force for longer and hence greater acceleration.

Wilson Duo Soft...

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

The two balls that work the best for my very slow swing speed are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The Callaway ERC Soft is a great ball but very low compression (sub 40?) while at the other end the Vice Pro Plus at 95 compression performs, surprisingly, slightly better. The Vice Pro Plus is described as being for high swing speed players (110 mph+) but its performance at slow swing speeds seems to be backed up by that big 2021 ball test.

You can think of spin as using up more of the golf ball's energy to go high instead of go far.

That being said, I don't notice any difference between high spin balls and low spin balls unless it really gets extreme. A Pro V1x or K Sig flies a half club short for me compared to a Supersoft. But I've played a twilight practice round hitting a Chrome Soft (medium/low spin) side by side with a Supersoft (super low spin), and their distance and ball flights were almost exactly the same. I'd probably have to hit 100 shots of each on a Trackman before I saw a statistical difference.

I asked the Titleist reps at the 2021 Titleist Experience about this. I’m a 85-90 mph driver guy and told them my goal was to hit the ball higher. They recommended the ProV1x for me. FWIW.

I use the Wilson Staff Zip and the 50 Elite. Both are 50 compression and they work well for my swing speed, however they are starting to feel too soft. I have tried the W/S Triad at 85 compression and it also has a good feel but just a little too firm for me. I'm a die hard W/S fan so I'm hoping they will design a ball in the 65-70 compression range to fill the gap between the Duo and Triad.

I'm a short knocker myself. The longest ball I found was the Bridgestone e7. Bridgestone discontinued it. I tried their e6 and basically got the same playability.

I've tried a lot of the other brand's soft balls, but the e6 always played longer for me. I have no idea what it's compression value is.

I'm a short knocker myself. The longest ball I found was the Bridgestone e7. Bridgestone discontinued it. I tried their e6 and basically got the same playability.

I've tried a lot of the other brand's soft balls, but the e6 always played longer for me. I have no idea what it's compression value is.
If I remember correctly the first edition of the e6 was 65 compression.

You don’t compress the ball. That is one of those daft terms that seem to have made their way into golf talk. You watch a ball being hit in super slo mo and the ball will deform, but it’ll do that pretty much with any swing speed. It’s physics. I’m a slow swing speed player. Around 93 with the driver. I play a pro V1x or Vice pro plus, both on the end of higher compression. Both work well for me off the tee and into the greens. Maybe your buddy should go online and try some of the ball selector tools to see what results get throw up? That may give him a better rough idea of what maybe he should be playing.

I swing around 88-91 with driver, hit my 7i around 140 carry and find the V1x works well for me. I need launch and spin to keep the ball in the air and most often use the V1x.

In another site's ball testing a couple years ago, the V1x was the longest ball off the robot at the 85 mph swing speed. My guess is the higher flight and longer carry helped there.

But in terms of distance I have hit the V1x, along side the Super Soft, Srixon Soft feel etc and strike is going to play a bigger part on distance than the actual ball will.

For what its worth, my buddy swings around 87-91 and owns a GC2 monitor, he said the 2 fastest ball speeds he has ever seen out of all the balls he has tested were the Left Dash ProV and the Srixon XV...both high compression balls.

You don’t compress the ball. That is one of those daft terms that seem to have made their way into golf talk. You watch a ball being hit in super slo mo and the ball will deform, but it’ll do that pretty much with any swing speed. It’s physics. I’m a slow swing speed player. Around 93 with the driver. I play a pro V1x or Vice pro plus, both on the end of higher compression. Both work well for me off the tee and into the greens. Maybe your buddy should go online and try some of the ball selector tools to see what results get throw up? That may give him a better rough idea of what maybe he should be playing.

Good idea to use a ball selection tool, but I don't think they have any accurate numbers for swing speed and distances.

I think the concept of "compressing the ball" is a relative thing... when I hit a firm ball - compression over 90 - I don't feel like I'm getting through the ball like I can with a softer ball. I know this is probably purely a feeling, but in my ever so humble opinion, your performance generally comes down to "feel". When I feel like I'm playing going to play well, I normally do. I just don't feel like a high compression ball gets the best performance out of me, even thought it might very well be going just as far as a softer ball.

I think the concept of "compressing the ball" is a relative thing... when I hit a firm ball - compression over 90 - I don't feel like I'm getting through the ball like I can with a softer ball. I know this is probably purely a feeling, but in my ever so humble opinion, your performance generally comes down to "feel". When I feel like I'm playing going to play well, I normally do. I just don't feel like a high compression ball gets the best performance out of me, even thought it might very well be going just as far as a softer ball.

The compression of the ball definitely makes a difference to your game no doubt. I can’t play with a soft compression ball at all.

Good idea to use a ball selection tool, but I don't think they have any accurate numbers for swing speed and distances.

I hear what you are saying here. I did some ball testing at an indoor place the other day.. I brought along several balls with me and hit these 3 the most.
V1x, Tour B RXS and the Srixon Trispeed Tour. The RXS felt the nicest (soft buttery feel off the irons) next best feeling was the Trispeed while the V1x felt the worst to me. Very hard and clicky...but performance wise the V1x was there with the best of them numbers wise.

It's often said on here with drivers..everyone makes a good one, so why settle if there is a characteristic that does not appeal to you (could be sound, feel, looks etc).
I kinda feel the same way with balls. Only things I don't like about the V1x is price and its harder feel. So that is why I am testing balls to see if there is something comparable in performance but with a softer feel. Thinking I may have found it with the RXS. Just wish it wasn't $50 a box.

The compression of the ball definitely makes a difference to your game no doubt. I can’t play with a soft compression ball at all.
out of curiosity, why?

My 3 best scores came with a V1x (firm comp), SuperSoft (low comp) and Soft Feel (low comp) so it honestly doesn't seem to matter to me which ball I use. The swing I bring with me that day seems to trump all.

Shot -1 with a V1x, +1 with a SuperSoft and +3 with a Soft Feel.

out of curiosity, why?

My 3 best scores came with a V1x (firm comp), SuperSoft (low comp) and Soft Feel (low comp) so it honestly doesn't seem to matter to me which ball I use. The swing I bring with me that day seems to trump all.

Shot -1 with a V1x, +1 with a SuperSoft and +3 with a Soft Feel.

I need to high compression ball for the greens. I can’t putt with a low compression ball. I’ve hit the pro V1x and the chrome soft in the same round. Little to no difference in feel or distance off the tee for me. But on the green, I can’t putt for the life of me with a chrome soft. When I’m selecting a ball, I work from the green back. The feel of the ball makes the biggest difference to me on the green. I watched TXG do a ball fitting. They did the same thing. May not work for everyone, but works for me.

One of my playing partners was told that they should play a high spin ball because they will get more distance, and yet, they have a very slow swing speed.

This seems contrary to what I have read here and elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but high spin balls are typically higher compression and would "generally" require higher swing speed to compress the ball and therefore generate more distance.

I'm of the opinion that they would be better off playing a ball with a lower compression that not only feels more comfortable to play, but instills confidence that they can compress the ball for more distance.

I am also a slower swinger and in my own personal testing, I have found that balls with a compression between 70-80 provide the most distance and the feel that I prefer.

Am I missing something?
They may have been told they should play a high spin ball because they're not generating enough spin, which can aboslutely rob them of distance. That's not uncommon with slower swing speeds, especially with some of the clubs those speed players tend to play.

You don't under compress a golf ball. In a general sense, which is rough when talking about golf balls, firm is fastest no matter how fast you swing. Speed is still only one component of distance though.

Gotta get off the compression for distance thing.

Everyone's recipe is different. @AnthonyC and I were fit into the same ball (ProV1x) at the Titleist Ball Experience despite having very different swings and speeds. He's not as fast as I am, but he needed the spin to maximize his flight and distance. We both do.

They may have been told they should play a high spin ball because they're not generating enough spin, which can aboslutely rob them of distance. That's not uncommon with slower swing speeds, especially with some of the clubs those speed players tend to play.

You don't under compress a golf ball. In a general sense, which is rough when talking about golf balls, firm is fastest no matter how fast you swing. Speed is still only one component of distance though.

Gotta get off the compression for distance thing.

Everyone's recipe is different. @AnthonyC and I were fit into the same ball (ProV1x) at the Titleist Ball Experience despite having very different swings and speeds. He's not as fast as I am, but he needed the spin to maximize his flight and distance. We both do.
My driver SS is sub 100. I was losing distance because I didn't have enough spin. My swing is too slow to generate enough spin to actually make up distance and height. Chris, the Titleist Ball fitter, told me my secret to success is spin. Spin is the power juice for my swing. I'm talking 30 yards difference between The X and AVX (soft ball).

Don't think you are missing anything,.. I am also a slow swinger specially when it is 40 deg in Seattle (which is why my drivers are 48" long). , I use a softer ball like a SuperSoft in the winter ... I just like a ball that feels good. Chrome Soft is another I like year around.:love:
Love the soccer balls. I play at Whitehorse and it gets chilly. I practice with slazenger raw balls because the hard ball gives a ton of feedback on club face

I am 67 and since my home course is littered with hazards I find a lot of golf balls, so get to try just about every ball out there. For me, I have noticed that off the tee all balls pretty much go the same distance. Where I notice a difference is around the green where you can get premium balls to hop and stop, unlike non-premium golf balls.

Premium golf balls will provide more consistency as they have tighter mfg tolerances and craftsmanship.

I hear what you are saying here. I did some ball testing at an indoor place the other day.. I brought along several balls with me and hit these 3 the most.
V1x, Tour B RXS and the Srixon Trispeed Tour. The RXS felt the nicest (soft buttery feel off the irons) next best feeling was the Trispeed while the V1x felt the worst to me. Very hard and clicky...but performance wise the V1x was there with the best of them numbers wise.

It's often said on here with drivers..everyone makes a good one, so why settle if there is a characteristic that does not appeal to you (could be sound, feel, looks etc).
I kinda feel the same way with balls. Only things I don't like about the V1x is price and its harder feel. So that is why I am testing balls to see if there is something comparable in performance but with a softer feel. Thinking I may have found it with the RXS. Just wish it wasn't $50 a box.

Here's a ball that you may want to consider. Maxfli just came out with a new Tour S ball that is softer than their Tour and Tour X. I've compared it to the Chrome Soft and honestly can't find a lot of difference EXCEPT the price. Tour S is $ 60 for 2 dozen while the CS is $ 49.

My driver SS is sub 100. I was losing distance because I didn't have enough spin. My swing is too slow to generate enough spin to actually make up distance and height. Chris, the Titleist Ball fitter, told me my secret to success is spin. Spin is the power juice for my swing. I'm talking 30 yards difference between The X and AVX (soft ball).

This really seems to fly in the face of some golf club testing. Let me explain. How many times have you seen them compare golf clubs and when one hits the ball further than the other it's because the spin is less than with the other club. Generally, this is attributable to the loft differences in the club, but they always point out that with less spin the ball seems to go further.

Back