Golf Channel's GOLF Am Tour Permanently Shut Down

That's too bad, always thought it was a good way to get a new generation involved and really long term grow the game

There were a few guys that did I seem to remember but always heard it was full of sand baggers

In central Ohio the guy who ran it started his own tour and first event is Monday here.

Too bad. I played in a some a few years ago and they were fun. No sandbaggers since your handicap was based on ONLY your scores during their tournaments. Divided into 4 handicap index divisions and played straight up - no strokes given. So if your HI was 7.9 you might be playing heads up against a 4.0 - but that is not so bad and It was as fair as i have seen.

The Grint is running the same type of tournaments in some areas. Only their second year so the schedule is not as many events but I played in one last year and it was great. Haven't played this year due to the risk this spring but maybe later in the year.

I played one season a couple years ago. Although it was pretty fun, it was not the best ran tournaments and there was an issue with sandbaggers. This was a couple years ago and I think the director changed. That being said, to hear they are shutting down permanently is a bit shocking.

That sucks.

Wowwww. This is major news. I’ve played on it up until last year when I moved north for about 6 years. It was incredibly fun, and some of my best friends I met playing on it.

Crazy

I quit that tour several years ago. Kasey did a great job getting participation for the local GWAT but that's a double edged sword. Maxed out every event for the most part which led to too many 6 plus hour rounds. Had to shag balls on the range sometimes because that was the only way you would get to hit any practice balls at some facilities due to limited hitting stations and range ball availability. Couldn't hit practice sometimes due to the amount of players and the fact that many would hit practice balls from the time they arrived to about 5 minutes before tee time. Surprised they shut it down. Lot of membership support in the southern Indiana, Kentucky area.

There were a few guys that did I seem to remember but always heard it was full of sand baggers

I heard similar and every course I saw them at complained about pace of play and how slow they were. But my guess is that is most large organized events.

I played on it the last 3 years and LOVED it. Here in Northern California the sand bagging was non existent. The rounds in 2020 were at the 4.5 mark for the first time as well. I'm VERY sad about this as I was on pace to attend National's again this year.

Back