Golf Club Price Increase

Let's say a manufacturer increases their price on a new line over a previous model. As a consumer, what would justify this move for you? (ie, visible tech, adjustability, performance, etc.)

Keeping up with market price. The companies are there to make money, I’m there to spend it. I’m not particularly brand loyal so a company needs to win me over with performance for every new purchase. With the $20 increase on MD4 wedges they added enough to outperform the other wedges using my swing. That price increase put them on par with Titleist pricing. I got more out of the club, they can get more out of my wallet. Win-win.

Aren't the price increases kind of justified at this point with the technology and materials used these days? $500 drivers and $1000-1200 sets of irons have been available and popular for many years now. I'm not really gonna scoff at a $20-50 price increase if the club works well for me, I'd rather buy correctly the first time than buy twice.

Aren't the price increases kind of justified at this point with the technology and materials used these days? $500 drivers and $1000-1200 sets of irons have been available and popular for many years now. I'm not really gonna scoff at a $20-50 price increase if the club works well for me, I'd rather buy correctly the first time than buy twice.

There is a lot of truth in what you say. More tech, more expensive materials = higher cost.

Take into account also market pricing. You can go out and buy a full bag for under $500 if you’re so inclined. How many people would look at that and say “what’s wrong with them?” So if your competition is selling at a $500 price point why wouldn’t you?

A) if you can move the product at that point and make an extra $5 a club you’d be silly not to, and doing the shareholders a disservice.

B) if a consumer is looking at two clubs and one is $50 more than the other I’d be willing to bet confirmation bias makes the more expensive club perform better. (Disclaimer: I have no proof of that, just a guess)

So yeah prices will increase, that’s the tenant of capitalism: “All the market will bear”.

Do I hit it better?
Can I afford to golf as much as I want this year while buying said club?

Back