Golf has changed. What do you miss or not miss. I miss....

pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
....the sound of metal spikes clicking in the parking lot in the morning.

How is this a contest? :unsure: edit ... that's why we have moderators. The contest banner was taken off (y)

But ... what I miss is the feel of a pured tee shot with a persimmon wood.

I do not miss the size of driver heads being comparable to some modern day hybrids.

Oh this is so true, I miss that sound. I do not miss the 3 wheeled carts that left you feeling as if you had just driven a cross country baja race where you couldnt feel your arms after the round.

I miss playing with my grandfather...

Oh this is so true, I miss that sound. I do not miss the 3 wheeled carts that left you feeling as if you had just driven a cross country baja race where you couldnt feel your arms after the round.
Cmon those things where death trap at a minimum.

I do not miss the lack of suitable graphite shafts. They've come so far in the last 20 years.

I do not miss the size of driver heads being comparable to some modern day hybrids.

I started when driver heads were in the 210cc range. Just a bit bigger than the largest hybrids out now, I think, but not much.

I do not miss the lack of suitable graphite shafts. They've come so far in the last 20 years.

I started when driver heads were in the 210cc range. Just a bit bigger than the largest hybrids out now, I think, but not much.
I started about 40 years ago when metal was not even a consideration for a wood. No idea what the actual size of the head was but they were tiny and the sweet spot was about the size of a pin head.

I started about 40 years ago when metal was not even a consideration for a wood. No idea what the actual size of the head was but they were tiny and the sweet spot was about the size of a pin head.

I hear ya. I mean, even us youngsters have seen those drivers. I mean, like, in museums an such... :ROFLMAO:

I have a bunch of them in my garage. I used to play with them ... when i was a kid.

Do you a matching driver/3wd or even D/3/5 or D/3/4 in decent shape that you wanna get rid of on the cheap? I've been wanting to put together a retro set to take out one day, but don't wanna break the bank in doing so.

Do you a matching driver/3wd or even D/3/5 or D/3/4 in decent shape that you wanna get rid of on the cheap? I've been wanting to put together a retro set to take out one day, but don't wanna break the bank in doing so.

You can still get them at flea markets and garage sales.

You can still get them at flea markets and garage sales.

Yeah, but they're either trashed or they want a Benjamin for them.

I don't miss balata golf balls. When I began playing they were the top of the line golf balls. But they were very easy to scuff, scratch or cut.

I also miss the sound of the metal spikes! I still remember my first set. A set of Wilson consisting of a wood driver, 3W, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i and bulls-eye putter. New it cost me $50! And wound balata balls with liquid centers!:LOL::LOL: I cut one open from a smiley cut and almost hit my eye with the liquid center. One dumb kid!:ROFLMAO:

I think there is a D/3/5. Heck you can just have them if you pay for the shipping ...

I miss a couple of local courses near me that closed down in the last 10 years. such good memories on those courses.

I miss respect for the course and other golfers - sanding divots, fixing pitch marks, raking bunkers, putting trash in a trash can, not spitting sunflower seed hulls or tobacco juice on the green, etc.

I miss playing after dinner on a Sunday night during the summer with my dad, that was a lot of fun as a child back in the day. Maybe when my kids are at that age I can start it back up!

....the sound of metal spikes clicking in the parking lot in the morning.
Oh man! That was a great sound!

My dad was the manager at our country club when the change was made to soft spikes and I was tasked to change all of the spikes on Men's day!

I've been playing about a quarter-century and really can't think of anything about golf in the 1990's that I miss today. Other than maybe the fact our local golf courses were healthy, full of golfers and (most of them) making money unlike today when they're going belly-up at a slow but steady rate.

But the clubs, balls, shoes and even clothing we use today are so much better than 25 years ago it isn't even funny.

Remember those baggy, heavy cotton (or completely non-wicking polyester) golf shirts with the arms that hung down past the elbow? Or wearing khaki pants that weren't breathable, had tons of pleats and needed to be *ironed* for goodness sake? Ye Gods!

And I sure wouldn't trade one TP5 for a dozen Tour Balatas (for good players) or Rock-Flites (for the rest of us).

I miss playing with my FIL, rest his soul. He got me back into golf at my age 35. He was a WWII See-Bee. He passed in January at age 97!

I miss respect for the course and other golfers - sanding divots, fixing pitch marks, raking bunkers, putting trash in a trash can, not spitting sunflower seed hulls or tobacco juice on the green, etc.
I went out on the 9 hole course with my son this weekend - the first thing i taught him was to rake the bunker. Respect.

I went out on the 9 hole course with my son this weekend - the first thing i taught him was to rake the bunker. Respect.

Maybe y’all can join my club. I think myself and one friend of mine are the only ones who have touched a bunker rake this century. We could sure use the help!

Absolutely metal spikes.

Back