Golf instruction and golf lessons...

CorvetteGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
Lessons are an important ingredient to a lower handicap. What I have found best is go to 3 or so different instructors, only then will you get a full range of instruction. Most golf instructors focus on one aspect thinking the rest will follow along. well, it doesn't.
And just because you own the latest and greatest and got fitted - you are still limited by your skill - which can't be improved by going to the store.

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
TMG's method probably seems "odd" for folks who have the mindset of "If I just get this one extra thing down I'm going to break 90", or for those who believe hitting balls at the range will cure their swing issues.
The next-door-neighbor that got me into golf falls into that latter category. In his view the only way to learn is to spend hour-after-hour on the range and on the course, hitting ball-after-ball. Well, I've tried that and found it... unproductive. It seems to me kind of like throwing darts blindfolded. I'm sure it can work for some--if they spend enough time and money doing it. But ISTM it can hardly be the most efficient way to learn.

CorvetteGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
The next-door-neighbor that got me into golf falls into that latter category. In his view the only way to learn is to spend hour-after-hour on the range and on the course, hitting ball-after-ball. Well, I've tried that and found it... unproductive. It seems to me kind of like throwing darts blindfolded. I'm sure it can work for some--if they spend enough time and money doing it. But ISTM it can hardly be the most efficient way to learn.
correct - just hitting ball after ball does nothing but perfect improper technique. If one goes to the range one must know what they are practicing - if they dont know what they are practicing then don't waste the energy.

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I once asked Michael Breed "if an instructor taught address technique fundamentals, grip-posture-alignment, and the student learned-practiced same, would the student end up with a good looking effective swing?"
Breed replied "absolutely, yes".
I then asked him "so why don't you and other instructors just teach grip-posture-alignment?"
Breed replied "students pay money and expect complicated teaching, they don't want to be told simple fundamentals work well".
Seamus reacted to my post about Michael Breed with a "mind blown" but I believe Breed's perspective is very common within the golf instruction industry today.
Rather than teach time tested and proven address technique fundamentals today's instructors make things way too complicated, giving the student unnecessary and counter productive swing position thoughts . Also, it is common for instructors to teach whatever is the "flavor of the month' on Tour; such as "X-factor" 20 years ago, followed by variations of stack-and-tilt, followed by one-plane, and most recently "use the ground for leverage-power".

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
I can't remember how many times I've heard "I'm going back to my old swing" when a guy is struggling on the course. I ask "what old swing would that be?...,,the one that you didn't like?". The fact is these types of guys never really applied themselves to actually take the time to learn the golf swing. Sure, there's a lot of moving parts, but let's face it, there's only so many ways to swing a golf club, so the process of trial and error to figure out what's going on doesn't require one to be a rocket scientist. To swing consistently, round after round, is another thing, but then again, even the like's of NFL QB's practice on a regular basis to make the same throws they have made since high school.

uitar99

Reaction score
Handicap
I think more students need playing lessons. Only on the course can an instructor see where does your game go awry under pressure - trees, lies, hazards, etc. My instructor did a 6 hole playing lesson and I played what I thought was the correct shot. Then he had me play what was a much easier shot to execute - for example a 9:00 swing with my PW rather than a full sand wedge. Or punching out with a driver rather than a 4 iron. Really helped so my bad hits were reasonably playable.

It's about the score, not how good your swing looks on the range.
Thats a very good point. Interesting reading the posts here. It goes to show how differently, individuals look at instruction. We all learn differently. Some want electronics, some do not. Some want to see improvement through lower score. Some want to see improvement through a particular swing look.

If we are new to instruction, we don't know what to expect from an instructor...but...we expect him or her to know exactly how we learn and what we want.

Now add in the instructors differences. Some work with what you have. Some want to change your swing under s specific program. Some use electronics. Some, not so much.

From my experience, golf instruction is still the Wild West.

I started later in life. 58. Took lessons. He really stressed set up. Play a fair amount and practice fair amount.

Thing that really helped me was swinging a golf club indoors, no ball. Slo mo. Everyday in the winter. One guy told me its all physics. Get the club face back to where it started. Resonated with me . That slo mo really helped me figure out where/what my club face was doing/going. Where it bottoms out. Physics. A real eye opener for me.

But not for everyone.

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In 3 years I went from "which end of the club hits the ball?" to a 12.2 Handicap. 12.2 might not be great, but it's better than average and I'm proud of it. I am on a quest for single digits and I am confident I will get there.

I'm still on a quest for improvement, and probably always will be.

I believe you will get to single digit man.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in