Golf Lesson Success

Islander

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so i figured it was time to get some golf lessons. I was able to get my swing respectable so I wouldn't embarrass myself, so I decided to look for an instructor. My biggest problem was keeping my tee shots in play. It is tough to score when you are taking penalty strokes on each hole. Now I have always have had decent power, and at the beginning of the season I was proably avergaging around 250 yards off the tee, just keeping it in play was the issue.

So there was an ad on Kijiji for a guy offering golf lessons so I figured I would look into it. He is a local long driver who participates in long drive competitions throughout Canada and the States, so who better to help me figure out the driver. After my first lesson with him I had pretty well eliminated my slice, replacing it with a slight draw. Now needless to say I was ecstatic with this. I have fought a slice my whole life, so a draw was something very new. Not only that but I has able in increase my distance as well. When I was able to make clean contact, i was hitting just about 270 at the range with old crappy range balls.

Now my problems were starting to come back. I was pulling a lot of balls, then over correct and and fade balls. The 270 yard balls were the ones that got going fairly straight with a slight draw. Miss hits were pretty severe dropping to 220-230 with the fades/slices.

So I was able to get back out with him yesterday to work out my pulls, as it went all the way through my clubs down to the short irons. So after most of the time working with the short irons, we were able to save only about 20 balls for the woods. After showing him what was going on and him fixing what he saw, I was cranking my 5 wood 240-250 off the deck. I was amazed. I never thought I could hit a ball that far with that club teed up but off the deck with range balls, wow. So after about 10 balls or so, we went up to the big stick. Again he fixed a few things and let me swing away. Now this is where it became a little unbelievable for me, and if I wasn't there I would have never believe it, but my next 3 balls FLEW 280!! I just looked back at him in amazement. Not only were they long, but straight. Now with a new found confidence that I had never had before, I aimed dead red at the 300 yard marker at the end of the range and let it fly. First one rolled into the long grass to the left of the marker and the next bounced into the marker. I was astonished. I couldn't believe that it was actually me hitting the ball. Now I was getting a little cocky and tried to put a little more into my next few swings and a slight fade came out., but very slight that would have still been playable on a course. But my misses were still rolling out to about 280, so I would take that ANY day.

Now I could understand that no one would believe me that I hit a range ball that far. It is of course am internet forum, and I wouldn't believe it either. But I am so excited about what I was able to do yesterday I had to share. To me it really shows what lessons can do for someone, and wish I had done it sooner. Now I can only hope it can translate to lower scores. I am very happy with my decision to get lessons and am believer now that lessons really do make a world of difference.

Now on a side not, my instructor hit a few balls after we were done. WOW to see a real long driver hit balls is impressive. He had surgery on his back this winter and it is still giving him problems but he was still hitting 350 with ease. Clearing the range and well into the put that is behind the range line. His last ball had to be at least 375. Just crushed. The sound was just ridicules.

great to hear Islander

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

You mean everyone doesnt hit 295 off the tee? Last round I played I drove every green. Flexes! Lmao! Seriously, good stuff man. I had lessons last year and it was the best thing I ever did for my golf game. I think I might have to go back because now I feel like Im kind of stuck at my current level. Shooting some 80's but still 95's too. Just dont have the consistency yet that I want.

Just a bit of a follow up. Got out today to play a course I played at the beginning of the year well before I ever got any lessons, so it was a good yard stick.

The two times I played it early this year I shot 101 and 97. Today I shot an 85 :D My best round ever. I am very excited. And that 85 is with 5 penalty strokes. :banghead: If I get rid of some of the dumb shots in my game I feel getting into a single digit handicap is very obtainable. I am very happy right now :banana:

Amazing results and sounds like it was a spectactular round as well.

Back