D.Witt

Reaction score
So I am taking my first golf lesson this weekend and I am wondering what to expect, things I should give thought to before the lesson and how honest I should be about what's comfortable vs what's technically correct, but uncomfortable... I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere ...... but those of you that have had lessons, what we're somethings you'd wished you'd known before your first lesson that would have helped you or helped the instructor to help you better ??

So I am taking my first golf lesson this weekend and I am wondering what to expect, things I should give thought to before the lesson and how honest I should be about what's comfortable vs what's technically correct, but uncomfortable... I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere ...... but those of you that have had lessons, what we're somethings you'd wished you'd known before your first lesson that would have helped you or helped the instructor to help you better ??

First, you have to figure whether or not you trust him/her. If you don't, find another teacher. If you do, listen to what you are told. Check the ego at the car and go from there. Lessons are key.

From my experience, lesson 1 is about about feeling out how you and your instructor get along, communicate and how the dynamic works. The main thing I would say is keep an open mind and go into the lesson with NO EXPECTATIONS or fear. He/she is there to help you. It's not a test - no one is judging you except yourself.

As far as things feeling uncomfortable, unfortunately with golf almost any change you make will bring that on. You have to work at it until that uncomfortable feeling is gone.

Have fun with it!

It's like a Job interview. You will both be feeling each other out. You will need to see if his method and thoughts are inline with hat you want to accomplish and if you are comfortable with what he wants to do.

I appreciate the responses... I look forward to this experience ...

I took my first lesson a week ago. The lesson is gonna progress with your ability to perform the things they show you.

My goal was to get as much as I could from the single lesson so I quickly implemented any change suggested and if I felt the lesson had stalled I would make the push for what I thought I would need to work on. Like if there is silence, they don't know if your clueless or grasp the concept, so it's better to say you understand it. If you can't perform the change ask for help. They will either work you through it or give you a drill to make it easier.

I had to change my grip completely (strengthen), change my stance( much wider), change my backswing completely (I had no wrist hinge and was off plane due to this), And I also had to shift my weight and get my back foot on tip toe (something I haven't done in 20 years of golfing). I made all of these changes within 15 minutes and was given a lot more to work on than if I just got hung up on grip for the whole time.

Grathan that makes sense.. Seems the best thing for me is to is expect nothing except to be ready to adapt to changes and ensure I'm very clear on how to implement the changes..

Well fellow Hackers,

Had my first lesson and I must say it was a great experience... We first started with him asking me what my goals were, did I want to quick fix something or did I have some long term goal.. I responded simply by saying "I want to be a better, more consistent golfer". From there we talked about my biggest issues, and where I feel I struggle the most .. After examining my swing, and stance.. I was happy to hear that there were a number of things I do correct.. My feet, My backswing, My head, and My back angle were all good.. We changed a few simple things that impacted my swing for the better immediately... Changed my grip..(I had a "weak" grip") , Changed my alignment distance from the ball (I had the club too close to me and had little space between my hands and my body) ... Changed my head, as a habit from constantly being told to "keep my head down", my shoulder rotation on my backswing moved my shoulder to my chin, which in turn, made my head move too much.. We raised my head in my stance to allow my shoulders to clear in both swings.( THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE) .. Those 3 simple things changed a ton in my ball flight and accuracy. I scheduled another session for this coming Saturday for help with hitting my woods off the fairway.. Sounds weird, but put me in any rough or long grass.. I can hammer my woods... Put me in the fairway, and my woods are evil beasts built to slice and hook to my hearts content !!!!

Stay Tuned...

wish I would have seen this earlier, but to anyone going for lessons, grab a notebook and pen/pencil. Take notes on things so you can refer back to them later, as IMHO you don't want to be going for a lesson every week.

Get things to work on, maybe drills and note things that will help you remember what you need to do/work on.

I agree, I think weekly lessons would be overload, Figured since I was able to apply the changes and drills that were made in the first lesson so well, I'd see how another session goes... great idea with making notes, gonna write some things down right now..
wish I would have seen this earlier, but to anyone going for lessons, grab a notebook and pen/pencil. Take notes on things so you can refer back to them later, as IMHO you don't want to be going for a lesson every week.

Get things to work on, maybe drills and note things that will help you remember what you need to do/work on.

Back