Golf Shoe Heel Height

Typhoon

Reaction score
Handicap
Plus side
Although it doesn’t bother me, I hit balls in golf shoes, sneakers and work boots just fine but there are a lot of crazies out here so…

I tried on a pair of ASICS gel ace pro or something in our shop. Very nice shoe. Probably grab myself a pair. I laughed though because the heel is higher than the other shoes I had on by a half inch.

So do you guys think of how that affects your newly fitted clubs? Distance to the ball? Putter length? Do you have to adjust your posture because you are now taller?

Although it doesn’t bother me, I hit balls in golf shoes, sneakers and work boots just fine but there are a lot of crazies out here so…

I tried on a pair of ASICS gel ace pro or something in our shop. Very nice shoe. Probably grab myself a pair. I laughed though because the heel is higher than the other shoes I had on by a half inch.

So do you guys think of how that affects your newly fitted clubs? Distance to the ball? Putter length? Do you have to adjust your posture because you are now taller?
I know for a long time I pretty much only wore spikes. When I occasionally wore spikeless or forgot them and had to wear tennis shoes I would hit them a little fat more often on the range warming up but usually adjusted after awhile.

I imagine somebody is going to come out with a golf shoe with a taller midsole like Hoka. I love the running shoe but I want to feel the ground in golf

Not an issue for me as far as I know

If you're taller in your shoes just use a tee on par 3s and it'll be "perfect". 😜

I actually pay attention to this a lot. Not overall height necessarily, but if you're suddenly a bunch taller it will impact your dynamics through the ball.

I pay more attention to heel height specifically and the resulting weight distribution. Because that can reek havoc. It's your weight is in your heels or you're out on your toes the compensations get complicated for most people real fast. Everyone has what works best for them.

I actually pay attention to this a lot. Not overall height necessarily, but if you're suddenly a bunch taller it will impact your dynamics through the ball.

I pay more attention to heel height specifically and the resulting weight distribution. Because that can reek havoc. It's your weight is in your heels or you're out on your toes the compensations get complicated for most people real fast. Everyone has what works best for them.
the weight distribution part makes some sense

But just height, I don't think it matters all the much. It's not like the courses are consistently flat. For most of us it won't matter, and for those that do they can adjust just mine imho

Are you talking like heel to toe drop or just increased height?

Most of my running shoes were (since I don't run anymore) around 11mm toe drop, however my hiking shoes are 0 drop shoes. I had never considered them in my golf shoes, but now I'll need to look at that too.

I have found that since I've had 3 different styles of shoes so far they have not impacted me at all, but I'll assume they are all 8-15mm drops.

So I do a ton of swing work while at work in a conference room. I use a little callaway mat (this one) with foam balls.

It makes the ball sit about a half inch higher since my feet are on the floor. I have noticed that after extensive periods of working on that mat without also hitting shots on course I start seeing issues with low point when I do get back on course.

So yeah I think it matters.

I've often wondered if one isn't better off sticking to one brand and model of golf shoe. I would think that different size heels, different sole thicknesses, etc., could affect one's ball striking if wearing one type one day, and another the next. Then again, maybe I overthink things but believe taking every inconsistency out of the equation leads to better golf.

I think I enjoy golf partly because I am unburdened of fixation on such minute details as golf shoe height.

It is another variable to add to my list when I golf, but I tend to wear the same shoe type. Most of my shoes have very thin soles without much cushion or support. I could see how changing the sole might make things difficult if the difference is more than a groove or three.

I’m 5’4”. I buy golf shoes with 3” soles just to feel taller 😀

Totally matters, The difference between a fat shot and a pure shot is pretty small if the heel/toe drop changes a little, that balance and the body angles are magnified through your body. Legs-torso-arms. It’s a long “lever-arm”

Back