Gout sucks bigtime

sheepdawg

Member, Goat Acres C.C.
Reaction score
Handicap
10-14
So I grew a bunch of tomatoes this year, been eating them like crazy. About four days ago my right knee swelled up and started hurting. The next two days were pure hell. I can barely walk and getting comfortable is impossible. It might be backing off slightly today. Caution tomato lovers, they're on the list for foods that set gout off. I've been here before, it's been a while. Lots of water and black cherry juice. Monday I'll call the doc for some drugs. I hate this.

It starts in the gut, so it can be solved in the gut. After researching extensively about how an imbalanced gut biome can leave people susceptible to gout, I beat it just by religiously taking a good probiotic along with psyllium husk. I wanted to avoid the meds at all costs.

It hit me in the hands/fingers. Golf was damned painful, thought I might have to give it up. Nope.

I completely understand avoiding meds at all costs but I got pretty bad gout for a long time and was willing to do whatever it takes to stop it. Been on Allopurinol for a few years and not one flare up.

I have a friend dealing with gout flareups. He had one a few months ago. He told me it felt like his feet were breaking just walking on them. It sounded terrible. I hope you figure out a way to manage it.

Had gout in my big toe after neck surgery, it was the most painful thing I've ever had 😕

good luck!!!

I got diagnosed with gout back in my mid-thirties. I've been taking allopurinol ever since. The blood test wasn't enough for them, they stuck a needled in the joint at the base of my big toe to draw fluid. I swear they had to scrape me off the ceiling, as I don't think I've experienced pain that severe ever since. A Gout attack is usually associated with the big toe but can affect any joint as many have witnessed in this thread.

Right big toe about 15 years ago, been taking Allopurinol ever since. It even hurt when blanket touched my toe.

So I grew a bunch of tomatoes this year, been eating them like crazy. About four days ago my right knee swelled up and started hurting. The next two days were pure hell. I can barely walk and getting comfortable is impossible. It might be backing off slightly today. Caution tomato lovers, they're on the list for foods that set gout off. I've been here before, it's been a while. Lots of water and black cherry juice. Monday I'll call the doc for some drugs. I hate this.
Any food high in Uric Acid can cause a flare up. It looks painful.

I've been fighting gout for over 30 years now. Several times I've been prescribed Allopurinol as a daily medicine cure. That works but I opted not to take it every day. I've managed it with food and beverage choices but, for me anyway, apparently there isn't a way to stop attacks. Fortunately, I always have a supply of Indomethacin available. If I treat it early enough in the attack the Indomethacin will knock it down quickly.

Well a turn for the worse. This knee started throbbing like off the charts Sunday evening. Off to the Emergency Room where a sepsis infection of the knee was diagnosoned.
After dealing with severe pain they hit me with several shots of diluadid and heavy duty antibiotics. Got my knee operated on this afternoon, surgeon said they took a bunch of goo out and cleaned it out. My golf is done for a while. Can't wait to see the scar, Doc said it was a pretty one.

Nobody can figure how the bacteria got in my knee.

SItting up in the hospital bed right now watching Elvis in Fun in Acapulco. Greaser Elvis was so cool and my knee ain't hurting like crazy 🙂

Back