GPS cart with camera capabilities

Vortex

Reaction score
As we all know, cameras are everywhere. According to some outlets, the average Londoner is captured on CCTV about 300 times per day. The average for Americans, in major urban areas, is about 75 times per day. Is golf one of the next frontiers?

One of the guys in yesterday's group occasionally gets a blue handicap cart flag if his knee is bothering him. I drove the cart, without a flag, but tried to optimize the drop-off and parking locations while respecting the staked areas after the tee box and before the greens. One the first hole, I dropped him off about 20 yards in front of the green in accordance with the cart markers. The GPS switched from approach view to a camera image of me behind the wheel. The same thing happen on the third hole. I completely support proximity sensors that shut a cart down if you breach a restricted area. The camera thing seems intrusive. Is there a microphone in the GPS unit too? Maybe John Connor vs Skynet in the Terminator movies is true! Just kidding, but what you guys think about cameras in the GPS units?

The only way I would want a camera on a cart is if it was front facing and recorded video of my swing...for instructional purposes haha

Seriously though no I don’t think carts should have cameras

What is alleged purpose behind these cameras? Does it have to do with it being a blue flag cart?

Ya not sure what would be the purpose, maybe so they can talk to you if needed

The only way I would want a camera on a cart is if it was front facing and recorded video of my swing...for instructional purposes haha

That's a great idea! However, 4 hour rounds will likely stretch to 6 hours very quickly.

A shot clock is another idea. If the cart stops for more than 60 seconds between the tee box and green stakes, then the backup horn starts beeping.

That would actually be an awesome idea

What is alleged purpose behind these cameras? Does it have to do with it being a blue flag cart?
I think the idea is the course can show footage to a person who drives in a restricted area. The starter disables the camera if you get a blue flag. I'm all for respecting the course rules. The camera solution feels creepy.

That's a great idea! However, 4 hour rounds will likely stretch to 6 hours very quickly.

A shot clock is another idea. If the cart stops for more than 60 seconds between the tee box and green stakes, then the backup horn starts beeping.

What happens when I need to look for my ball or wait for the group ahead? ?

What happens when I need to look for my ball or wait for the group ahead? ?

This requires creativity. One guys drives in circles while the other guy looks for his ball.

In the other case, just hit into the group ahead. You probably won't hit anyone. o_O Nobody has a minute to waste anymore so we have to get the rounds done in 4 hours or less. #efficiency, #TIC!

This requires creativity. One guys drives in circles while the other guy looks for his ball.

In the other case, just hit into the group ahead. You probably won't hit anyone. o_O Nobody has a minute to waste anymore so we have to get the rounds done in 4 hours or less. #efficiency, #TIC!

Not much I can argue about with there. :ROFLMAO:

This seems a bit intrusive... must have had issues with people consistently driving in restricted zones. Is the footage saved anywhere? Any notices posted that the footage will be saved?

This seems a bit intrusive... must have had issues with people consistently driving in restricted zones. Is the footage saved anywhere? Any notices posted that the footage will be saved?

You're probably right. The course is in Florida and I play it often when visiting. The course bought new carts last year. The camera capability seems to be a standard feature of the GPS unit. Maybe it was always on and this was the first time I experienced the camera because I tried to get close to the greens. That said, I've witnessed people park 10-20 feet off the edge of the green. The course put in new greens last year because they host a Symentra event in April/May and the Tour wasn't coming back without the upgrades.

lol, did you at least smile or make a goofy face.....but i would agree, to take a pic ope someone inside the natural or restricted areas

This seems unnecessary.

I've not seen that in my area yet but it does seem like an invasion of privacy.. I would be having a word with the manager about it.

Big Brother is watching..............?

Seems a bit over the top, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Helps “prove” people were driving where they shouldn’t be...

LOL, point in case. ?

20190607_172345 (1).jpg

The safest place in the world when I’m hitting lately is to be near the flag, lol.

Back