Grafalloy Epic shaft Info Needed

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
I purchased a Grafalloy Epic 68G Stiff shaft the other day from Blind9 on a blowout sale. It is a 46" .350. I have done some checking on this site for info on this shaft but did not find much. I did learn that is has a mid kick point and tends to hit the hall high. This may be perfect for a couple of my boys that have a hard time getting the ball up with the driver. both need stiff shafts.

Has anyone used this shaft and if so what head did you put it in. I was looking at getting a head just to mess around and build a driver. Can someone recommend a head that would work with this shaft and does not cost an arm and a leg. I was thinking about and older Titleist since I have never owned one but im open.

Also would it be possible to put this shaft in a 2009 TM burner 3 wood. One of my sons broke his 3 wood shaft last week and needs a new one.

thanks.

Wow no love on this shaft. No wonder they were on sale.

Wow no love on this shaft. No wonder they were on sale.

Nah, its a very good shaft but you MUST be careful with the tip prep due to the materials, there were several cases of mi-prepped shafts snapping. Do it right and it had tremendous feel. I had one in my old Dymo2 4W for a while before going Graman.

I put a regular flex one of these on my SuperFast 3 wood last summer and love it. I had trouble hitting off the deck with the stock setup but this thing makes it easy.

Sorry mate, didn't see this one before.

I found the Epic to be a pretty good shaft, espcially for the cost, though it wasn't for me. It does launch the ball high and also puts a fair amount of spin on it. The thing to note with this is that there's very little torque in the shaft. When you swing it, it's going to feel more like a hybrid shaft then your normal driver shaft. Also, it's heavier then your standard driver/fairway shafts as well so if you or your boys is use to swinging lighter shafts this is going to be bit of a change and is certainly going to require some transition time.

In terms of putting it into a TM 3 wood, did you know if the shaft you bought has a .335 or a .350 tip?

Sorry mate, didn't see this one before.

I found the Epic to be a pretty good shaft, espcially for the cost, though it wasn't for me. It does launch the ball high and also puts a fair amount of spin on it. The thing to note with this is that there's very little torque in the shaft. When you swing it, it's going to feel more like a hybrid shaft then your normal driver shaft. Also, it's heavier then your standard driver/fairway shafts as well so if you or your boys is use to swinging lighter shafts this is going to be bit of a change and is certainly going to require some transition time.

In terms of putting it into a TM 3 wood, did you know if the shaft you bought has a .335 or a .350 tip?

it has a 350 tip. its 68 grams.
If it feels heavier than it may be the perfect shaft for one of my sons. When he did a Calloway fitting they recommended a heavy shaft based on his swing. He has been having a lot of trouble getting the ball up. He is the same son that broke the 3 wood. If this could work in his 3 wood that may workout. If not maybe We can put it in his driver. he is hitting a Calloway IQ

Nah, its a very good shaft but you MUST be careful with the tip prep due to the materials, there were several cases of mi-prepped shafts snapping. Do it right and it had tremendous feel. I had one in my old Dymo2 4W for a while before going Graman.

Thanks for the warning on the tip prep. It does have a warning on the tip on how to prep it.

Thanks for the warning on the tip prep. It does have a warning on the tip on how to prep it.

Yep, its a VERY finnicky material. Tip it right though, I still say its a great shaft.

Thinking about throwing one of these in my driver. I plan on buying an X-stiff and after tip prepping I am gripping, leaving it at it's longest.

Can anyone comment on the characteristics of this shaft?

It was a mid launcher for me Thain, I hate to comment on the spin as it was in the "dark ages" of my swing haha. I can tell you I really did like the feel on it, I was just paranoid when prepping it as at the time there were so many breaks. I'd really love to grab a fairway model for my G20, I think that could be lethal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well theyre 26 bucks, shipped on RBG at the moment. In fact, they had so many, that they sent some back to grafalloy and had them paint them seperate colours. White, Silver, Blue, Green and Orange epics are all available now with the same shaft characteristics.,.
It was a mid launcher for me Thain, I hate to comment on the spin as it was in the "dark ages" of my swing haha. I can tell you I really did like the feel on it, I was just paranoid when prepping it as at the time there were so many breaks. I'd really love to grab a fairway model for my G20, I think that could be lethal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well theyre 26 bucks, shipped on RBG at the moment. In fact, they had so many, that they sent some back to grafalloy and had them paint them seperate colours. White, Silver, Blue, Green and Orange epics are all available now with the same shaft characteristics.,.

Beyond worth a chance then IMO. I've been eyeballing them, may have to nab one come payday on Friday.

Just grabbed an orange that I will grip with a blue Winn to make my Bronco Bomber of a driver. I have the FW version of the epic in an old TM burner 3w and it does feel great to hit. Should be interesting to see it in my TM/ST.

Back