Graphite shaft extenders...

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Should still work I think.

I've used those, but most times I just use part of an old graphite shaft I have. Cut it to where it inserts snug and apply epoxy, then just trim the rest to length. Easy peasy.

That should work and I used the plastic ones from golfsmith when I did my irons and no epoxy was needed for them.

I typically take any extensions to my builder at EW. The only 2 times I have extended a club, it ended up needing a decent amount of build up tape to match the outer diameter of the shaft. He has gotten it dead on both times.

I use wood dowel from home depot , one section lasts long time. TAKES JUST A FEW MINUTES TO TAPER the part that will slide inside shaft on grinder. Whatever you use I never epoxy the extension, just wrap 2 sided tape around the part that goes inside shaft, it holds great and can be removed with a pliers if you decide you don't like the extension.

Should still work I think.

I've used those, but most times I just use part of an old graphite shaft I have. Cut it to where it inserts snug and apply epoxy, then just trim the rest to length. Easy peasy.

YES it is easy but consider skipping epoxy and opt for 2 sided tape, it will be very secure unless you are going for a huge extension amount which is usually not the case. Extension is then fully removable with pliers. In your way you are pretty much screwed if you want to remove or modify extension on graphite shaft. Also wood dowels work fine if you have a grinder to taper the inside the shaft part of extension. 1.5 to 2 inch insertion amount is fine,

skip the epoxy? Interesting. So, just use the double sided grip tape I have?

skip the epoxy? Interesting. So, just use the double sided grip tape I have?

done it quite a few times, no problems whatsoever. If the part of your extension that goes inside shaft is not a fairly snug fit then you might want to wrap an extra layer of the 2 sided tape around the part that goes inside shaft . I use a piece of a wood dowel, taper about 1 1/2 inch bottom section of dowel to a point where I ACHIEVE SNUG FIT, TAPE THAT AREA, CUT TOP PART OF DOWEL PIECE TO EQUAL EXTENSION LENGTH DESIRED, IF TOP SECTION IS TO FAT GRIND IT A TAD. Takes about 5 to 8 minutes approx.

done it quite a few times, no problems whatsoever. If the part of your extension that goes inside shaft is not a fairly snug fit then you might want to wrap an extra layer of the 2 sided tape around the part that goes inside shaft . I use a piece of a wood dowel, taper about 1 1/2 inch bottom section of dowel to a point where I ACHIEVE SNUG FIT, TAPE THAT AREA, CUT TOP PART OF DOWEL PIECE TO EQUAL EXTENSION LENGTH DESIRED, IF TOP SECTION IS TO FAT GRIND IT A TAD. Takes about 5 to 8 minutes approx.
Hello,
NOOB here so please bear with me. Also, hope posting to an inactive thread such as this is OK because "uman" is suggesting an approach that sounds great. Just want to confirm a few things and hope either "uman" or someone knowledgeable will respond.

Recently purchased a used hybrid (graphite shaft) that I discovered too late had been shortened about 3/4". I have regripped clubs previously but never attempted to extend length. I've seen it done and don't see anything overly complicated. I have a damaged graphite shaft on another club that should work fine (3 iron - the tip is splintered...guessing the previous owner didn't play long irons well).

Although I have epoxy available, really like the tape suggestion because it allows the flexibility of reverting back or modifying further if the added length doesn't work well.

Will cut the old graphite shaft to allow about 1.75" to slide into the butt of hybrid. Have three questions:
  1. Should I use grip solvent on the tape or insert it dry? I will be using solvent when attaching the new grip after lengthening. Would that be enough solvent to use then, thinking some would seep into the extension.
  2. Any idea on how much depth reduction to allow for when using the tape. Thinking it will add some thickness to the extension piece and will not insert as deep as normally measured without.
  3. Never worked with graphite shaft and wonder if possible to split the butt end when pushing / seating the extension piece?
Don't mean to over think this but do not want to damage the shaft of the hybrid. It is an Ozik Red Tie so not cheap.

Thanks!

Back