Graphite Shafts for Irons that Compare Best to Nippons

GolfDuck

Reaction score
I am searching for a new set of irons, and was originally planning on getting a set with Nippon (Modus3 Tour 105s or NS Pro 950s) shafts. Just before making a purchase I had some new pain and soreness (59) that have led me to decide I should get graphite shafts in whatever new iron set I get. I love the Nippon shafts I previously mentioned, so if anyone knows any graphite shafts comparable (especially relating to getting a mid to high launch) to those please let me know.

For reference my swingspeed is about 95 with my driver and low 80s with my 7 iron, I have a long, smooth swing and am presently about an 8 hdcp. I am probably getting a set of new irons that has stronger lofts (mainly looking at Mavriks, Mavrik Pros,and Honma 747Ps) that usually seem to produce lower launch angles and less spin. I usually hit my irons (old Srixon I302s with Rifle 5.5s) with a mid launch/flight and that has worked well with those Srixons, but I should probably get shafts that help get the ball a little higher with the new irons I will purchase.

From my first research I am presently intrigued by: UST Mamiya Recoil shafts; TT Project X Catalyst shafts (definitely the most available with the Mavrik irons); the Aerotech SteeelFiber FC shafts; and the Honma Vizard shafts (since they are easily found with the 747Ps). Please let me know what you think of the graphite shafts I have mentioned or if you have other possibilities for me to consider. Be safe and have a great day!

Last edited:
Nothing will feel like steel, even those that have some sort of steel in them. However, getting similar launch angles is easily achieved. Is there a place near you where you can book a fitting? You’ll get a lot of suggestions about every others like, but that means almost nothing to you as a golfer.

Some suggestions to try if you’re able to.

Fujikura Vista Pro
Accra iSeries iCWT 2.0
VA Raijin 84

I moved from Nippon Modus to Recoil Proto and haven’t missed a beat.

The project x 100CW were also a similar performing shaft for me

Played Modus 105's and moved to Recoil 95's. Have had no issues at all. There are plenty options with Recoils.

Nothing will feel like steel, even those that have some sort of steel in them. However, getting similar launch angles is easily achieved. Is there a place near you where you can book a fitting? You’ll get a lot of suggestions about every others like, but that means almost nothing to you as a golfer.

Some suggestions to try if you’re able to.

Fujikura Vista Pro
Accra iSeries iCWT 2.0
VA Raijin 84
Thank you Summit.

Thank you JB! The Recoils (not sure exactly which one yet) seems to be the favorite and most similar to Nippons so far.

I prefer the feel of Accra over Recoil in weights of 95g or more- more lively. But the Recoil 95 does perform. The Recoils in SmacWrap - 78g ES - are very likeable, more lively.

I am surprised if Nippons would cause you issues - my swing speed and smooth description is similar to yours - I use graphite in irons but Nippon Steel in Wedges. I use R Flex in the Pro Modus 3 Wedge Shaft in the 115 (122g) . The 950GH is soft in flex and I'd probably go S in flex.

JB, what Nippon Modus3 shaft and flex did you come from? What specific Recoil shaft and flex did you go to? What is your swing profile... driver & 7 iron swing speed, and type of swing? Thank you!

Played Modus 105's and moved to Recoil 95's. Have had no issues at all. There are plenty options with Recoils.
Snickerdog, what Nippon Modus3 shaft and flex did you come from? What specific Recoil shaft and flex did you go to? What is your swing profile... driver & 7 iron swing speed, and type of swing? Thank you!

Snickerdog, what Nippon Modus3 shaft and flex did you come from? What specific Recoil shaft and flex did you go to? What is your swing profile... driver & 7 iron swing speed, and type of swing? Thank you!
NS Pro Modus 105 Reg flex
Recoil 95 Reg flex
Driver swing speed is 95-95
7 iron swing speed I am unsure of. Probably around 70
Smooth tempo

NS Pro Modus 105 Reg flex
Recoil 95 Reg flex
Driver swing speed is 95-95
7 iron swing speed I am unsure of. Probably around 70
Smooth tempo

You sound like me -- I bet your 7i swing speed is about 78.

Like a lot of poeple have already said. I swittch from the Nippon 105s' to the Recoil 95 and haven't looked back. Great shaft

You sound like me -- I bet your 7i swing speed is about 78.
Could be correct, last time on monitor was at the Grandaddy and I didn't pay well enough attention.

Back