Grinded my wedge.. What´s your thought?

Almdudler

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 EGA
Hello everybody!

I kind of got an idea this morning about a wedge in my bag that I rarely use. It's a Wilson Staff FG Tour that comes in play less than once every third round.. And that's when i wanna save the finish of my Vokey..

I bought it two years ago thinking I would master it like a knight masters his sword... But unfortunately every fifth shot was thinned/topped. I seemed to have trouble to get the sole under the ball. Mostly this was because of the swing. Currently I can actually use it with good results but I wanted something more of it.. So why not make it easier for "flop-shots"!? I saw a video from the Wilson tour technician who did grinds on the exact same model.. So why can't I? :victory:

Heres a before picture:
DSC_00682.jpg

The black markings of what material I wanted to get rid of:
DSC_00842.jpg

And here's the after picture:
DSC_00992.jpg

Not as pretty as the professionals do it. But I won´t see the grind.. It shall perform for me!

Tested a few chips in the backyard and it seems to do the trick! I will be practicing wedges tomorrow so I´ll update the thread if anyone is interested. Demand more pictures or videos and I´ll bring em to you! :alien2:

Looks good to me. Do you know how much material you took off? Does it feel any different weight-wise?

Looks good to me. Do you know how much material you took off? Does it feel any different weight-wise?

In metric units it was about 2 mm at the end of the sole.. The feel is almost the same as before.. I know it must be a couple of grams lighter than before but the feeling is about the same..
The FG tour 60* has quite a chunky sole so it might be a little more easier to control now, at least I hope so. But i will know for sure tomorrow! :)

That is great I have done some grinding (hand file ) on a couple of wedges and one went from very hard to hit to very easy to hit. If you want to pretty them up some use a finer file then go to emery cloth in progressively finer grits. You can get to a satin finish with this method.

Very cool, gonna stay tuned into this. I'm considering grinding a fraction off my 60, but will let it be for now.

looks good but remember you might get some rust there now that the finish is gone

I've ground on a few old wedges over the years, and some worked and some didn't. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot.

Looks good! Sort of a v sole.

That is great I have done some grinding (hand file ) on a couple of wedges and one went from very hard to hit to very easy to hit. If you want to pretty them up some use a finer file then go to emery cloth in progressively finer grits. You can get to a satin finish with this method.

That seems like a good method.. Perhaps in a later project. Right now my main goal is to find a use for this club or put it out of the bag..

looks good but remember you might get some rust there now that the finish is gone

Yeah i thought of this and perhaps it will have to be maintained or coated in some way.

The plan is to only use this club during this year. Next season I will buy new matching wedges in the grinds I want. But for now I rather put my money on balls and greenfees..

I took some pictures and videos out at the practice area today. I´ll edit something and put it up this evening.. :act-up:

Not too shabby. Like you said, you won't see it, you'll just see it working. Hope it performs for you.

So here's a few clips from earlier today..

My thought for this wedge and the custom grind was to find a use for the club with some type of specialty shot. When practicing with it I found it easy to do high flop shots that had a few feet roll out..
The grind made it easy to open up the blade and still get under the ball in the stroke. As seen in this picture:
DSC02345.jpg

Before I made this grind the sole would often get too much contact with the ground and sometimes it made me loose swingspeed during contact..
So I will put this club into use at times when I have very little green to work with. Here is a video of me practicing those shots with the club:

At least in 75% of my shots the club performed as planned. The other 25% was the lack of concentration from my part. I don´t think you can here it in the video but there are a field of goats beside the barn behind me in the second shot..
Let me tell you that goats might be fun on the internet, but in the vicinity of a golf course they are not!!! :deadhorse:

Yeah i thought of this and perhaps it will have to be maintained or coated in some way.

The plan is to only use this club during this year. Next season I will buy new matching wedges in the grinds I want. But for now I rather put my money on balls and greenfees..

I took some pictures and videos out at the practice area today. I´ll edit something and put it up this evening.. :act-up:

If you are only playing it one season i would not worry about it a little rust won't hurt it

There is a way through which even if sole got too much contact with the ground still one do not loses swingspeed.

There is a way through which even if sole got too much contact with the ground still one do not loses swingspeed.

Perhaps, but for shorter chips on firm ground, IMO this grind helps me open up the face..
I look at this almost the same as the importance of having the right lie angle on your putter.. To prevent the heel or toe from disrupting the rhythm..
Or are you of the opinion that a player should adjust his swing and setup according to the clubs and not the club's to the player?

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

Update: found an angle grinder with a suitable disc to polish the sole a bit..
6esavupe.jpg

Looks almost brand new! At least the sole..

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

What did you use to do the grinding? I am planning to do my set once they come back from being grooved. Was looking at a small table grinder, but if I can't find one for a good price then I may use my dremel and fix it to the table and go from there.

What did you use to do the grinding? I am planning to do my set once they come back from being grooved. Was looking at a small table grinder, but if I can't find one for a good price then I may use my dremel and fix it to the table and go from there.

I used a more industrial grinder since I have access to that kind of stuff. And an angle-grinder for polishing..
But I would guess that any kind of grinder that can remove sufficient material and not make the surface too rough would do the trick! With the right discs an angle grinder can actually be used for the whole process!
Good luck! I hope it turns out great!

Back