Grip It And Rip it Or Change Your Approach

I am a grip it and rip it kind of guy. If I think I can reach it, I'll give it a shot. That being said, over the last few years as I have tried to get my handicap lower and score better, I have taken the "better" approach and hit long irons off of tees to a full length club instead. And each time, my soul dies a little inside. But I do tend to score better, so there is that. :D

For me there are certain holes I seem to drive the ball well, and other I don’t. It’s got to be in my head because the narrowest hole I tend to drive straight down the fairway. The wide open fairway I tend to miss.

It depends. Am I on my par 4 18th and only need a 6 to win? Or do I need a 4 to win? If I only need a 6 I'll play a 7 iron. If I need a 4 I'll have to hit driver.

I generally prefer to hit a driver whenever I can. That said, there are times when I’ll hit a 22 degree hybrid.

For regular risk reward holes I trend toward playing it safe but vary that depending on how I’m playing. For those holes that are in my head...it doesn’t matter, I seem to flub them up no matter what.

I'm developing a pretty decent "bunt driver" approach on such holes or ones where distance needs to be limited.

I can easily screw up 4W, hybrid or 5-iron as much as full swing driver. So I've been sporadically experimenting with a significantly throttled version of driver.

Tee'd maybe 33% lower and a couple of inches closer toward center stance, choke down a couple of inches, limit length of backswing... swing through as normal.

It's been pretty darned good, should try it more often to get a more thorough gauge on its dependability.

I’ve got just as much chance of messing up a layup shot as I do a drive, so I’m going for it!

I’ve got just as much chance of messing up a layup shot as I do a drive, so I’m going for it!

:D I know someone with that philosophy also (me).

On a 300 yard hole with an easy green and trouble everywhere off the tee. Driver is a sucker's club. Play what the designer has told you to play. Obviously they set the hole up for a longer approach. Put your 5 or 6 iron in position and then hit whatever you have left in unless your a dead ringer with that driver.

On a 300 yard hole with an easy green and trouble everywhere off the tee. Driver is a sucker's club. Play what the designer has told you to play. Obviously they set the hole up for a longer approach. Put your 5 or 6 iron in position and then hit whatever you have left in unless your a dead ringer with that driver.

You make it sound so simple. Sadly in my case I wish it was so. ;)

You make it sound so simple. Sadly in my case I wish it was so. ;)
? it's not simple, but that's what the hole is calling for. Maybe develop a 1/2 swing with the driver that you can hit more accurately. I think too many folks rely on full swings for every shot. 3/4 swing flighted shots are often easier to make solid contact and much more accurate. Definitely spend a range session working on them, but it's really just a hard punch shot. I am a bad golfer that tried to chase that long game for a lot of my life. Now I am just out playing golf. My handicap has dropped 5 strokes in 2 years and I think there is a good chance it drops another 2 or 3 shots this season. Maybe even below 15 and I have no shot that goes over 230 yards. Even with my driver I quit reading about how to hit it farther and embraced all the spin I put on the ball with that club. Yes I don't hut it far, but it is much more likely to go close to where I want it then trying a distance maximizing swing.

Cha
Have you ever played a hole that when you get to the tee that has a very narrow opening to hit through do you still do the grip it and rip it approach like always or do you play it safe and hit less than driver assuring that you can make a good shot off the tee to get yourself out into the fairway. I know that there are many factors which determine you're approach but which would you generally do?
change approach

I'll usually go with the best option to put me in the fairway, but there are tight driving holes that just fit my eye and Driver comes out.
Example: my home course 7th hole is 364 yards, woods and OB down the left side, woods down the right to about 160 yds out then there's water. My normal pay here is a 3 wood to leave me between 140-150 yds to the green. I learned a long time ago, put yourself in position to score and you'll have less chance of beating yourself up later. (now executing the necessary shot is a whole nother conversation :rolleyes:)

My game is predicated on accuracy and keeping the ball in play.

I don’t over power courses

Depending on how I’m playing or what I’m playing for I might try to be smart.

J/k Grip and Rip

Grip it and rip it. For me, due to the fact that the head of the driver is so big, I dont have any less confidence with it than I do with a 3-wood or long iron.

Even if I'm hitting driver well, I would likely consider poking something out there with less risk for trouble. I don't know if that would be 3w, 3hy, or 4i. I do this off the tee frequently. I'd rather have a longer approach than find myself punching out from some nasty place, or worse.

For me it would matter more with how I’m hitting my driver. It it is an off day I’ll grab the old 3 iron and use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally I'm going with the safer club. Unless I am behind and have to make up some ground, then all bets are off.

After reading the single digit HC thread I may need to rethink my approach.

I am typically a grip it and rip kind of player.

One hole that I play with my Sunday group is a par 4 327 yarder. There is a creek that is right at 240 yards. I had typically hit my driver, but as I am getting straighter with it, I was ending up in the creek. Sometimes I hit over, but more than not, I am either a bit short of creek or in it. So, I started to take a 5 iron at the tee instead.

So, I am starting to come around to playing the holes the way they are intended with at least some strategy to them.

I'd try for the hero shot... something that's well outside my abilities and be lucky to find my ball in the rough...

Playing smarter golf, I'd hit 5 or even 6 iron. It'll halve the distance to the green for me and hopefully be more controllable. Knowing my luck, I'd chunk that shot and only make it 20 yards.

I'm definitely clubbing down to whatever I can hit through that opening. I'm less comfortable with narrow chutes than I am with a narrow landing area.

Back