Grunge / Alternative

Mikey D

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Packing Chowdah
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, we have the Punk/New Wave/Ska thread and while there's great music in there, it's time for a Grunge / Alternative thread. The music of angst ridden Gen-Xers, perfectly summed up more eloquently than I ever could by the below meme:
GenX.PNG

To start us off, a song by one of the earliest Seattle grunge bands:

And the same song, covered by my favorite band of all time. I was at this show and it is probably in the top three PJ shows I've seen. Neil Young joined them at the end to play Rockin in the Free World (will need to watch on youtube).

Crazy to think mother love bone had so much influence in grunge. Eddie Vedder basically came in and turned it into pearl jam but not before Chris Cornell came in also and together with Eddie and mother love bone became temple of the dog when their lead singer died. On top of that Alice in chains made the song would for their lead singer who died andrew wood.

Alice in chains, Nirvana, and pearl Jam unplugged were untouchable. Layne Staley was so sick and basically dead inside but that performance was jaw dropping.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Seattle during the Grunge revolution.

After PJ released 10 they put on a FREE outdoor concert to thank the fans through local radio stations.
A buddy of mine won tickets and still one of the best shows I've ever seen (and I just hit the big 5-0)!

The concert was held at an undisclosed location and they bussed the winning fans to the venue.
Had a ton of openers and still remember Cypress Hill performing in one of the biggest clouds of smoke I've ever seen;).
Unbelievable memory from a truly gracious band.

If you haven't had the chance to check out AIC with the new singer, I highly recommend.
Their new stuff is outstanding and they put on an amazing live show.

Alice in chains, Nirvana, and pearl Jam unplugged were untouchable. Layne Staley was so sick and basically dead inside but that performance was jaw dropping.

Agreed 100%. I love PJ and Nirvana's Unplugged sets and will listen to them at anytime, but AiC's blows them away. Layne was hurting and it definitely shows, but what a show and album.

Agreed 100%. I love PJ and Nirvana's Unplugged sets and will listen to them at anytime, but AiC's blows them away. Layne was hurting and it definitely shows, but what a show and album.

The way Jerry Cantrell looks at him during the concert like holy crap, it really sets in.

At like 2 minutes you can see Jerry look around and just sets in, they hadn't performed in years together, had to find a fix for Layne, had just kicked out Mike Starr and just sat down and killed it. Inez's tone on the bass is insane, the shot at Metallica cutting their hair and selling out, the whole thing is a capsule of that period of time.

alice in chains unplugged - YouTube

Now whilst I love punk, ska, alternative etc my true love is the grunge scene that came out in the late 80s into the early 90s.

To this day I will still play Soundgarden, AiC, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, TAD etc and it hits just as hard as it ever did!

This is one of the greatest shows of all time in my opinion. Is raw and brutal and beautiful to watch. Layne was so ill, and you could feel him singing from the very pit of his stomach. Is a very uncomfortable listen but just gorgeous.

I always felt like he was singing his own eulogy when he sang that song.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Seattle during the Grunge revolution.

After PJ released 10 they put on a FREE outdoor concert to thank the fans through local radio stations.
A buddy of mine won tickets and still one of the best shows I've ever seen (and I just hit the big 5-0)!

The concert was held at an undisclosed location and they bussed the winning fans to the venue.
Had a ton of openers and still remember Cypress Hill performing in one of the biggest clouds of smoke I've ever seen;).
Unbelievable memory from a truly gracious band.

If you haven't had the chance to check out AIC with the new singer, I highly recommend.
Their new stuff is outstanding and they put on an amazing live show.
Aw man @Rod Dunlap we need to talk about that! I would love to have been there, seen the shows at the Crocodile and Vogue (?) - have heard so many anecdotes about my favourite bands playing shows there!

Gotta love Pearl Jam, they are so awesome to their fans. Always have been from day 1.

Another 1 that could not stay off drugs, and had an amazing voice. STP I think is super underrated. Scott had one of the cleanest grunge voices.

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush (Acoustic) - YouTube

I swear every band in the 90s just couldn't stay off drugs these aren't grunge but 2 other 90s bands that I listened to heavily more on the alternative/rock side.

Blind Melon - No Rain - YouTube
sublime - YouTube
Yup, STP we’re one of my favourites. I love the raw heaviness of Core and could tell as they went through Purple and into Tiny Music that they were moving away from the ‘grunge’ label. All three were amazing records, and all completely different sounds.

Another great band, one of my favourite vocalists of all time. Hit me hard when he passed recently, such a loss. The drugs ripped through the scene pretty bad.

Yup, STP we’re one of my favourites. I love the raw heaviness of Core and could tell as they went through Purple and into Tiny Music that they were moving away from the ‘grunge’ label. All three were amazing records, and all completely different sounds.
My best friend growing up was a huge STP/Scott Weiland fan always was playing their music, Saw them at Ozzfest, saw them at local places in Ft Lauderdale, he was insanely talented.

Aw man @Rod Dunlap we need to talk about that! I would love to have been there, seen the shows at the Crocodile and Vogue (?) - have heard so many anecdotes about my favourite bands playing shows there!

Gotta love Pearl Jam, they are so awesome to their fans. Always have been from day 1.
It was a great memory for sure. No I never made it to those spots unfortunately.

There were always some really cool live shows around the Pioneer Square area back in the day.
Bands like Candlebox would play frequently. A really underrated grunge band IMO.

It was a great memory for sure. No I never made it to those spots unfortunately.

There were always some really cool live shows around the Pioneer Square area back in the day.
Bands like Candlebox would play frequently. A really underrated grunge band IMO.
I think my whole image of Seattle comes from the Charles Peterson black and white photos of the scene and the Singles film. I based my whole image for years on those haha

Another 1 that could not stay off drugs, and had an amazing voice. STP I think is super underrated. Scott had one of the cleanest grunge voices.

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush (Acoustic) - YouTube

I swear every band in the 90s just couldn't stay off drugs these aren't grunge but 2 other 90s bands that I listened to heavily more on the alternative/rock side.

Blind Melon - No Rain - YouTube
sublime - YouTube
Sublime - Badfish
Nirvana - All Apologies

Both fit in that singing their own eulogies category. I love Sublime. I don't think they wrote a bad song.

My best friend growing up was a huge STP/Scott Weiland fan always was playing their music, Saw them at Ozzfest, saw them at local places in Ft Lauderdale, he was insanely talented.
He really was, such a versatile voice and what a showman! Saw a couple of his last performances on YouTube and man they were heartbreaking. He clearly wasn’t doing well at all, and had surrounded himself with enablers 😢

Sublime - Badfish
Nirvana - All Apologies

Both fit in that singing their own eulogies category. I love Sublime. I don't think they wrote a bad song.
Sublime was the soundtrack to many of my favourite times. The 40oz to Freedom record still gets spin very frequently in our house!

What would bands like Soul Asylum, Live, Candlebox, Silverchair, Bush, and Days of New considered? Like lite grunge lol. I like them all.

What would bands like Soul Asylum, Live, Candlebox, Silverchair, Bush, and Days of New considered? Like lite grunge lol. I like them all.
I’m not sure Soul Asylum would be grunge, although they certainly had the look! They were very punky, so year I suppose you could class them as that.
Silverchair and Bush maybe diet grunge? 😂

Sublime was the soundtrack to many of my favourite times. The 40oz to Freedom record still gets spin very frequently in our house!
We're Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance, what a jam.

Back