Guitar Solos - your favorites

One more, not widely known:
Contraband: All the Way to Memphis
The entire song has some blistering solos from Tracii Guns and Michael Schenker. Contraband was a one hit wonder “supergroup” but man does this song qualify!!

As a Texan and a human being I think it's criminal that Billy Gibbons hasn't even been mentioned yet

Angus Young - High Voltage Live at Donnington.

Tommy Emmanuel - The Journey

Mason Williams, Classical gas.

Eddie Van Halen- Eruption from “Live Without a Net”

Ted Nugent - “Hibernation”

Lately I’ve been stuck on the solos on My Morning Jackets One Big Holiday.

Mark Knopfler - Sultans of Swing
Mick Mars - Home Sweet Home

Those are the two that came to mind immediately. I'm sure I'll be back in this thread with more.

Anything by Tommy Emmanuel
Anything by Pat Metheny

A 6-pack of my all-time favorites ...

I can’t think of a particular solo, but go down the YouTube rabbit hole with John 5.

Good stuff.

This is a difficult and deep question for me. I'm going to have to ponder this a bit.
Same. I feel like this thread could have 10000 posts and it still wouldn’t be enough

Ok.
first one is easy
Mick Ronson guest solo in The Wildhearts “ My Baby is a Headf**k”. The album made my desert island disc list.

The song has 3 solos. He takes the second one at 3:21. His last solo ever recorded and it takes the song to a whole other level.
Not linking the song because its very aggressively NSFW.

Anything Knopfler.
the solo in Aqualung
Just about anything Hendrix
Anything SRV
Martin Barre of Jethro Tull never gets any love. Great call

So many by Mick Taylor when he was with The Stones, but Can't You Hear Me Knocking is my favorite. With Keith's riff, and Bobby Keys on Sax it is a great tune, but add in Taylor's guitar work and solos and it is definitely one of my all time favorites.

Rick Beato who has an excellent YouTube channel, did his take on the top guitar solos of all time.

I have to add Matt Guitar Murphy to my list. Murphy’s Boogie.
I will also add:
Jimmy Page - working session on remastered The Ocean.
John Fogerty- Born on the Bayou. Any of his songs live are tremendous. I’ve seen him twice. Very underrated.
Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult- Godzilla (live).

Last edited:
A toss up among these four:

David Gilmore, Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Texas Flood
Eddie Van Halen, Eruption, Van Halen
Jimmy Page, Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

I can't find fault with any of these.
I'll throw in a few off the beaten path numbers:

Rush - Soliloquy (2112)
Frank Zappa - Watermelon in Easter Hay (Joe's Garage)
Mike Campbell (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) - It's Good to be King (The Live Anthology)

I'll stop there since this could just go on and on...

A lot of really good names mentioned, but I am surprised no one has thrown Billy Strings into the mix. That guy can pick it

Jimmy Page - Sine I've Been Loving You
Nels Cline- Impossible Germany- Wilco

I always liked Killer Queen by Brian May, simplistic but awesome phrasing. Same goes with Santeria with Brad Nowell. Also, all of She came in through the bathroom window feels like one awesome solo by Harrison.

I gotta get Ritchie Blackmore in here! So many with Deep Purple, Child in Time, Highway Star, the intro to Speed King. Then you move on to Rainbow, so much more great guitar from Blackmore (and didn't hurt to have Dio's vocals and Cozy Powell on drums!), for this I'll go with Stargazer.

Back