OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Let me hear them. What drives you crazy at the gym. Setup, people, behaviors, whatever.

I used to kind of live this funky hell as a trainer, but I'm currently at the gym during after work rush and may or may not want to poop in half these people's lockers right now. Lemme hear what gets under your skin.

People squatting in the curl rack. The nerve of them.

:ROFLMAO:

I absolutely avoid the gym. I use kettlebells and body weight at home. Heavy bag for add explosive cardio. People use the gym for a social
Gathering at it runs me nuts.

I'll go first. It's leg day. As with all things in life I move like The Wolf drives. Real f***ing fast. And it is a studied and observable fact that people will work out slower on any machine where they can sit on their @ss between sets. Or lay. So I'm talking to you, lazy gym goers, when you're on the seated leg extension or leg curl machines, remember you have to actually keep moving to burn that fat and build muscle. So pretty ******* please, with sugar on top, use the machine. Or get the hell out of the way.

And have a pleasant day. 😁

Last edited:
In-between your set, get the Frick off and let me get a set in.

On a serious note - spreading their towel, water bottle, backpack, etc. taking up 3 or 4 (or more!) stations so they can do their circuit. Now everybody else has to stand around and wait for 30 minutes while they monopolize all that equipment. Do your straight sets at one station, GTFO and move to the next, this isn't your private gym.

Oh boy I have a list:
1. Being on equipment and spending more time on your phone. I understand rest, but not 10 minutes between sets.
2. Hogging equipment and doing something that you could do anywhere on limited equipment. i.e. crunches on the only bench.
3. Influencers filming and wanting a whole corner of gym to themself.
4. Not wiping equipment down after profuse sweating on it.
5. Hogging multiple pieces of equipment at once.

My current gym is actually really good, most people are fairly hardcore, so have good etiquette.

The only thing I miss about the gym is heavy leg day. Hard to replicate it with 2 53lbs kettlebells. Pistol squats get kinda hard on the ankle

2. Hogging equipment and doing something that you could do anywhere on limited equipment. i.e. crunches on the only bench.
At my last gym they had two bench press stations. This old guy in his 80s would come in and take up one of the benches for 10-15 minutes, sitting there on it just rocking back and forth and gently stretching in his hot pink tights with gym shorts over them. Never loaded a bar or touched a weight. 🤬

Only thing that bothers me is taking up more than one machine/station at a time. Otherwise, I'm pretty relaxed

At my last gym they had two bench press stations. This old guy in his 80s would come in and take up one of the benches for 10-15 minutes, sitting there on it just rocking back and forth and gently stretching in his hot pink tights with gym shorts over them. Never loaded a bar or touched a weight. 🤬

That type of jubilation definitely doesn't require a machine/rack space.

I was pretty easy going when I would go to commercial gyms. Now, I would do some pretty weird exercises and deadlift without shoes and stuff and no one bothered me about it, but I always would clean up / disinfect my areas, especially if it got messy with chalk

What i couldn't stand was people using the benches close to the heavy dumbbell weights while using light weights. Now I know sometimes you take the bench that is available, but couldn't we switch? Like, I really didn't want to have to do farmers carries if I am doing 5 sets of bench and have to walk back and forth 20 yards each way each time I finish a set to rack the weights or go up in weight or whatever

My only big one is people that tie up 3 or more machines then sit on their phone. But will tell you “oh, I am using that”.

otherwise I can pretty much work around anything else. That annoys me.

I would say my biggest gym pet peeve is that my son thinks he is going to be a professional bodybuilder before he gets out of high school.

Back the eff off the dumbbell rack. The space in front of it is a walkway for other people to get their weights, not for you to kiss yourself in the mirror.

The only thing that drives me really crazy is people that don't clean equipment after using it.
That and the guys that want to be naked as long as possible in the locker room. There has to be some correlation between men reaching the age of 75 and an increase in their desire to stand naked in the middle of a locker room and air dry. To each their own I guess, but I always have approached changing clothes among strangers as a relatively quick process.

If duty calls and you've got to :poop:, pick up your stuff. 10 minutes is a long time in the gym

The only thing that drives me really crazy is people that don't clean equipment after using it.
That and the guys that want to be naked as long as possible in the locker room. There has to be some correlation between men reaching the age of 75 and an increase in their desire to stand naked in the middle of a locker room and air dry. To each their own I guess, but I always have approached changing clothes among strangers as a relatively quick process.
Oh. So your gym has “that guy”. I swear, it doesn’t matter if I go to the gym at 4 am, or 9 pm there is always the same dude walking around naked. Lol

I'll go first. It's leg day. As with all things in life I move like The Wolf drives. Real f***ing fast. And it is a studied and observable fact that people will work out slower on any machine where they can sit on their @ss between sets. Or lay. So I'm talking to you, lazy gym goers, when you're on the seated leg extension or leg curl machines, remember you have to actually keep moving to burn that fat and build muscle. So pretty ******* please, with sugar on top, use the machine. Or get the hell out of the way.

And have a pleasant day. 😁
I have a great facility at work so I tend to use that most of the time but also go to the local YMCA and the issue is the same…. I prefer to superset my workout so I continue to move…. I absolutely hate when someone is using, say the lat machine do a set and then sit on their phone resting…. Get your a$$ out of the way… I’m old and I’ll lose momentum 😂

As has been said, someone spreading their stuff out on 3-4 stations and moving from one to the other like they own it. I have been known to use one and have been told they were using it. I said you were using the curl bench when i sat down, we can share and circuit at the same time.....they just huffed and moved on.

Last edited:
and if you sweat all over a bench or leave your hair gel behind, wipe the damn bench down when you are done

Back