Has any one ever cracked a driver head

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
I was playing in a tournament last sunday and noticed something on top of my driver so had a closer look and noticed a crack on it. I was so gutted to see that. It was weird to see my driver cracked like that.
Ive never seen it happen before so it was a bit of a shock. I had to borrow another guys spare driver today for golf.
20180827_161239.jpg

I have not but have seen it done. Was playing with a guy who had a Big Bertha with the sliding weight along the back. His last drive of the day we heard it make a different sound at contact and looked down to see the whole crown separated at the rear along the weight track.

It happens, unfortunately.

I cracked a new M3 440. I'd hit it maybe 50 times, figured out it wasn't for me. I was cleaning it up to sell it and noticed there was about a 1" long crack about an inch behind the silver part on the crown about an inch from the toe. As far as I know it didn't effect the performance of it, but there was no way I'd sell it in that condition.

TaylorMade very quickly send me a new one as a warranty replacement, excellent customer service.

My Wilson D200 Driver. Wilson did replace it, no questions asked.

8dcb8f92f1b2b1d609932575606e6efe.jpg

I haven't cracked a driver. But I did crack the face on a taylormade 07 burner 3w. It had about a 2" long crack on the face along the top groove. TM replaced it with a newer model since they didn't make that one anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have seen it happen several times and completely split my FT 9 driver where the composite met the face. Luckily almost every time the driver was covered under warranty.

I blew out the backside of my Taylormade 580xd once. At least 20 pieces.... That was interesting. Brought it to Golf Galaxy where o had purchased it and they replaced it immediately.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last year I blew the crown almost off my driver. It was about 10 years old but still hit well. Went to the driving range with my daughter and hit a few balls when it broke. It was really weird sound it was almost like a water bottle hitting a tree or post.

AF1QipOjDrMOKfd8Bmaw3JGM0Vy4CQK34fHkeJ7SDFjM
post-74182-151164312171.jpg

I cracked a driver a couple years ago. My buddy cracked his Epic at the end of last year. Callaway took care of him though. Since they didn’t have any new stock of Epics they upgraded him to a rogue!

Multiple times. A good excuse to get a new driver.

Cracked my SLDR a few years ago. Golf Galaxy gave me the runaround on the warranty claim and lied about sending it to TM. One phone call to TM and a couple photos they had a new R15 out to me the next day at no cost and label to ship the SLDR back.

I cracked a new M3 440. I'd hit it maybe 50 times, figured out it wasn't for me. I was cleaning it up to sell it and noticed there was about a 1" long crack about an inch behind the silver part on the crown about an inch from the toe. As far as I know it didn't effect the performance of it, but there was no way I'd sell it in that condition.

TaylorMade very quickly send me a new one as a warranty replacement, excellent customer service.

Its funny you mention this particular club. I was at the range one night and the guy beside of me just bought a new M3. He hit a few balls then it sounded really odd and the face was busted. He called the store and they said bring it back so they could see it. Not sure what DSG did with it

Cracked my Callaway Rogue and PGA Superstore sent it back to Callaway and was replaced for free.

I messaged and sent a photo to Harry and he said to contact customer service and they would send me a new one, i said thank you and im in NZ.
So i had to contact Callaway Aussie but they said we only have a 2yr warranty or i could take it to the Authorized Callaway dealer i brought it, but i didnt buy it from one and the closest is a 3 hr drive away.
Harry was quick to say about replacement but Callaway Aussie wasn't that helpful. Oh well ill have to save up and find a new one.

Nope. Don't generate the club head speed to crack or cave in anything.

Its funny you mention this particular club. I was at the range one night and the guy beside of me just bought a new M3. He hit a few balls then it sounded really odd and the face was busted. He called the store and they said bring it back so they could see it. Not sure what DSG did with it

Yeah apparently it's a known issue. I got about halfway through describing it and their CS Rep said something like "oh yeah, I've seen that before". Although it sounds like something different happened to the guy at the range with you. I didn't notice it with mine until I was cleaning it, it may have happened on my last shot or 10 shots before that. Performance didn't seem to be afffected either.

Shafts on the other hand, I have a long history of having issues with them. In the last year alone 2 almost brand new ones have suffered massive failures. One sent my favorite M1 430 head following the ball about 100 yards down the fairway.

I cracked the face on my Taylormade RBZ, I called Taylormade they asked if I had the original receipt, I didn't as I bought it used from a friend. They said the closest dealer was Dicks Sporting Goods. I called them, they initially said absolutely not, after telling then I had already called customer service they complained and basically gave me a bunch of crap, but replaced it with a brand new Jetspeed.

I cracked the face on my Taylormade RBZ, I called Taylormade they asked if I had the original receipt, I didn't as I bought it used from a friend. They said the closest dealer was Dicks Sporting Goods. I called them, they initially said absolutely not, after telling then I had already called customer service they complained and basically gave me a bunch of crap, but replaced it with a brand new Jetspeed.

Same thing for me with the same club and circumstances. Only mine was exchanged through Golfsmith. I’ve never had a jetspeed and I can’t remember what I got in return - either another RBZ or an R1.

I cracked a carbon fiber crown on an Adams driver at a demo day once. The contact was a little high on the face, but not a sky ball by any means. The Adams rep eventually let it go, but he clearly wasn't buying that all I hit was a range ball.

Years ago, a Macgregor NVG2 driver. The cup face tore from the body.

Two in the last year - both epic sub zeros. Callaway sent me a rogue sub zero this time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last on I cracked was a Cobra ZL on the crown. I've had it for a couple of years really liked it and then it cracked. Called Cobra, CS wouldn't do anything because it was more than a year old. Oh well!

Back