Has anyone heard of "Florida Water" for golfers in hot, humid areas?

The one part of my body that absolutely does not sweat, are my hands. For general heat relief, the snap towels are great. For a lower tech solution, my buddy, who provided gas well services, would keep a couple of bandanas in his cooler with his lunch, and a couple frozen bottles of water. Tie a cold bandana around your neck, which cools the blood flowing to the brain, keeping you head cool. If your heat is cool, you will be cool.

OK with all of this talk about Florida water it reminds me of a discussion I had with my Dad. I noticed that he always carried a small cooler with Ice in it and some cloths he kept wet. I asked him what the deal was and he said the cloths helped to keep him cool in the Florida heat, fair enough I understand how the cooling process works with the head acting as a radiator of sorts because it is very vascular. Then he began to tell me that he only uses "Old" ice because it is harder and it melts slower than "Newer" ice. Hmmmm, I don't know but I was taught that water freezes at 32* F and begins to melt when the temp rises above that. Well as you can imagine Father / Son discussion followed and I'm sure you all know how that ended. Anyway when I got home from my visit I decided to try something. I got two small soft sided coolers similar to his, I found a bag of Ice in the basement freezer that had been there since the summer before "Old Ice" and put it in one cooler, then put "New Ice" in the other, both bags of Ice were made from my freezer Ice maker so they were identical in size and composition, placed them on my Deck in the sun, I live on a lake in the Adirondacks and on a good hot day with no clouds it can reach a good 95* and humid. Well after about 6 hours in the sun I came up from the lake and sure enough both the New and Old Ice had melted pretty much the same. Plenty of cold water and a few cubes floating around in both coolers. Sorry Dad, science wins this one.

My understanding was always that it was a bucket or cooler of ice water or both with the Florida water cologne mixed in. No idea the ratio. I have the cologne precisely for that reason. If i remember I’ll bring it to Myrtle and report. Can’t be any worse than mango towels!!! 😜

Never heard of it, I use 2 authorized towels from my wife. Apparently she classifies them for me.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

While I never used "Florida Water" for golf we did use it for hot, 2 a day football practices. Works like a charm. Cools you down and also provides a nice pick me up from the ammonia/smelling salts. Also, I never knew it was called "Florida Water" we called it the smelling salts bucket...haha
I had dinner with another friend last night and he knew all about Florida Water. He played tennis in Houston for years and said they couldn't live without it (why he never used it on the golf course just boggles my mind...). He said they sell "spirits of ammonia" at the drug store (or will order it for you) and that's what you add to the ice water. And the pick-me-up must be a thing too because he told me his brother was in a long tennis match with a guy, and in the 3rd set, that guy tells him he's going to have to forfeit because the heat and humidity is too much for him. So the brother lets the guy use his Florida Water and the dude comes back to life and wins the match!

I just bought 2 x 2-ounce bottles of Humco Aromatic Ammonia. Looks like the proper mix is 1-ounce per 1-gallon of ice water. Can't wait to try it!

As an actual Florida golfer I have to say I have never heard of this. I do carry a cool snap towel and keep it in a mini-cooler to use throughout the round. Never added alcohol to the water though. Interesting. I have separate towels for everything. One for my glasses. One for my face. One for my clubs…..
I lived in Florida pretty much my entire life and I have never heard of that before.
Add me to the list of long time Floridians that has never heard of this. But to combat those sweltering conditions, I recommend using a Claw glove from Caddy Daddy, having an extra towel, and using Carpe hand lotion the night before, and in the morning before golf.

Alcohol goes on the inside and water goes on the outside. Both fluids work to cool the body.

Add me to the list of long time Floridians that has never heard of this. But to combat those sweltering conditions, I recommend using a Claw glove from Caddy Daddy, having an extra towel, and using Carpe hand lotion the night before, and in the morning before golf.
I actually bought one of the Claw gloves for those days where it's impossible to stay dry. They do work!

Never heard of it, I use 2 authorized towels from my wife. Apparently she classifies them for me.
"Authorized towels"?

Never heard of any oft the concoctions mentioned , live in Australia , southern end where humidity is dry , sucks the life from you , feel like piece of toast after several days of it .... no matter how much or what you drink. So the inverse is true lots of wet towel or at to keep cool.

I know right
She has the misconception that I tend to ruin or break things.

I know right

l think you should run amok , and soil the towels ,go radical even, wash the white towels with coloured , and do it on short cycle hahaha. Just say they were unauthorised and your treating them with contempt lol or other fabric conditioner hahahaha )

I
I know right

l get the misconception line , had a previous partner, married some 20 something years, no matter what l did, was never good enough etc .... to quote a line ‘ that’s a round best forgotten ‘ .....

Found here on a google search.

RECIPE FOR FLORIDA WATER
Ammonia spirits, water, ice, washcloths, are all it takes to make the summer heat tolerable. You should buy this stuff now because once the secret is out, you are going to have a hard time finding them once the heat hits.

Fill bucket 1/2 full of ice, pour 3/4 bottle of “spirits of ammonia” into the cooler for each gallon, fill the rest of cooler with water and mix. Place washcloths into the cooler and stir around a couple of times.

HOW TO USE FLORIDA WATER
When a player comes off the field and into the dugout area, pick up a washcloth, wring out the excess and then wipe down arms, face (DON’T suck on washcloth), neck (front and back), shoulders, chest, etc. It really is effective while held on the back of the neck, especially for catchers and pitchers. Believe me when I say everyone will benefit. Don’t inhale to a great degree, only mildly. Do this between innings and the next day, the team will be begging for it.

I use this product that I got a sample of last year.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/dry-glove.8919402/

I still have some and have used it recently. Just a small dot on the hand and rub together, let dry just a bit and it's fine for just about the entire round. In really bad humid conditions, may need to reapply at the turn. I think I remember doing that a few times last year.

I know right

Walmart sells hand towels for cheap. Pick up a couple and use them... then your wife won't have a problem with you using towels.:confused2:

And I'm sorry, I don't care how well it's supposed to work. Ammonia isn't going near me intentionally on a hot day. I'd imagine even a small dose of it on water isn't exactly good for skin.

Back