Have you attended the "GO TO" things in your area

I have lived in Louisville for 23 years now and still have not visited the Louisville Slugger Museum. It is 4 blocks from Humana's corporate tower too so I have walked by it 100's of times. Even stopped and helped tourists take this exact photo with their families several times, but never been in the building or on the tour. View attachment 9048499
That's a good example. I am originally from Frankfort and have never been there. Have been to many Derby's and hit Buffalo Trace and Keenland with the family this weekend.

When I was living in No Va. and working in DC, I had people visiting practically every season, so we would do the whole touristy thing--see the monuments and museums, go to some different restaurants, etc. I do not think I would have done that myself, although I did visit many Civil War battlefields with another friend living in the area like Fredericksburg, Manassas, Ball's Bluff, Chancellorsville, Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, etc.

Brewer games, Bucks games and occasionally a Packer game, plus Summerfest and just dozens of various festivals during the summer. WI is a fun place to live, plus New Glarus beer :cool:

In the NYC area… I’ve done almost all of the touristy / must do things.

Statue of Liberty — have only been there once, when I was 10 years old. I try to avoid Times Square if I can, though I walk by it almost daily pre-COVID when I went into the office. Knicks games, Yankees and Mets games, and Nets games. Coney Island. The museums by Central Park. Porterhouse steak at Peter Luger’s.

There are some winter specific things that are unique to the city. Rockefeller Center Xmas tree is great. The ice skating rink in Bryant Park or Central Park are worth a visit. And walking down Fifth Avenue during the holiday shopping season is a sight to behold… at least once in your life. And the Radio City rockettes.

THINGS I HAVEN’T DONE YET: a horse race at the Belmont Stakes. The Northern Trust at Liberty (hoping to attend next year). And dinner at Le Bernardin (somehow a $400 meal doesn’t really entice me when there are so many tastier and much cheaper options around town).

I have lived in Louisville for 23 years now and still have not visited the Louisville Slugger Museum. It is 4 blocks from Humana's corporate tower too so I have walked by it 100's of times. Even stopped and helped tourists take this exact photo with their families several times, but never been in the building or on the tour. View attachment 9048499
I think it's a "proximity effect" or something along those lines. Because a significant landmark/attraction is so close to home, there is really no sense of urgency to visit it, because it's always "right there". I'm 46 and have lived an hour from the CN Tower for my entire life, but it was only two years ago that I finally went up in it. Every year I vowed that "this will be the year" but it never happened. Finally one day I found myself in the city and done work for the day so I grabbed the opportunity.

Been to the Grand Canyon so yes

I've attended Washington Football games (including the NFC Championship vs Dallas in 1973 - I think it was final score 24-3), several Inaugurals, volunteered to do whatever for Inaugural Parades. Went to opening day MLB when I was kid (with Presidents tossing first ball from the stands), and took my kids to the Nat's Opening days. I've sat in on both the House and Senate, attended the Watergate Hearings and the 'vetting' for then VP to be Gerald Ford. And a bunch of other lesser things involving famous pols seeing them and chatting with them at events, by and large (at least then) they were good people, whether you were/are a R or a D, or male of female. But, as we know things change.

Seaside for the beach and fist pumpin..... Check

Atlantic City for some gambling... Check

Philly and NYC..... Check x2

I live in a county with only 15,000 people so there is not many things to do in general.
I live about 2 hours outside of Atlanta but only go to that place when necessary.

Never been to Christmas story house or rock n roll hof

I've lived in Arizona for 12 years now, never been to the Grand Canyon.

Locally, we have several events every year that are "go-to" events, but not really on a famous/big time scale unless you're really into those particular things (Desert Storm performance boat races; World Off Road Championship Series off-road racing; IJSBA watercraft world championships; Rockabilly Reunion, a three-day Rockabilly festival; Balloon Fest, a multi-day hot air balloon festival). The only real tourist attractions our city is known for are the London Bridge, which originally spanned the River Thames in England, and Lake Havasu itself, which is a well-known Spring Break hotspot and a great lake for boating, skiing/wakeboarding, fishing, etc.

I lived in LA for years, so I did most including :Disneyland, Knotts-scary farm (on Halloween of course), the Long Beach Grand Prix, the Sequoias, San Diego zoo, Laguna Seca MotoGP, Rode up Hwy 1, been to the famous Rock Store in Malibu, Rode Angeles Crest, the Snake in Malibu, Yosemite National Park, Kennedy Meadows (dirt bike riding), and got stuck in traffic during the LA marithon (almost like running it Lol), but I have never been to a Nascar race (was I missing anything?)

Really not a whole lot of stereotypical touristy things here, but I think I have checked off the main ones from the list:

NASA
Rodeo
Galveston
Local sporting events
Museums
Galleria

Probably missed a few things...

yes, i went to a home goods store. once

I’ve played Pebble Beach
I’ve attended races at Laguna Seca (haven’t driven or ridden it yet)
I’ve driven and ridden down the Hwy 1 to Big Sur
Whale watching is about the only on the list thing I haven’t done, and as I’m not a huge fan of rickety old boats like the one seen in jaws, I don’t ever intend to.

But you're watching whales, not great white sharks.

I live in NE Ohio with the Rock and Roll and NFL Halls of Fame about an hour's drive away, and I have been to neither of them. I have also never been to the Polka and Softball Hall of Fame in the Cleveland suburb of Euclid!

I've been to some things the Saratoga Race Track. But I haven't been to things like the Tulip Festival. There are some other historical places in the area I haven't been to places like Ulysses S Grant's Cabin, which is only like 5 minutes from where I usually camp, or the Schuyler Mansion, which has ties to Alexander Hamilton.

Been to the track but none of the other places. Gotta get to them. In the early nineties it looked like we were moving so we made a point to visit Lake Placid. It’s one of our favorite places.

I've lived in AZ for 22 years and still haven't been to the Grand Canyon. 🤷‍♂️

But you're watching whales, not great white sharks.

Right. But when the boat goes down, I’m still gonna die. I’ll just drown rather than get eaten.

My wife and I have done all the MN stuff having grown up here, but my kids haven’t as we just moved back here 3 years ago after 20 years in CA. They’ve all been to the 4 pro sports(5 if you count soccer, lol) and have seen concerts here but Covid limited how much we’ve done the last couple of years. There are lots of places they need to see and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and them experiencing a really amazing night with full blown northern lights are at the top of the list. I need to get them up to Lutsen for a ski trip this winter as well.

D1015AD9-E489-4C09-9231-3B88EF8C2430.jpegFD1D348B-DBB4-40B8-BF92-2FDE8299BB65.jpeg

2DF2563C-5E1F-4D9B-9915-5D75D017972B.jpeg

Last edited:
I eat at Skyline Chili often.
Is Kings Island a 'go-to' Cincinnati place? Been there plenty.

Been to the track but none of the other places. Gotta get to them. In the early nineties it looked like we were moving so we made a point to visit Lake Placid. It’s one of our favorite places.
We used to take two trips to Lake Placid every year. In July for my dad’s birthday (we’d go for a long weekend and play Craig Wood, Saranac Lake Country Club, and the Lake Placid Club on consecutive days). And then the week between Christmas and New Years. As beautiful as the lakes and mountains are in the summer, there is something magical about being there in the winter. Despite 50 trips up there, I have never been in the hockey rink, and I have never played Whiteface National. Two things on my to do list for 2022.

We’re about two hours from Cooperstown and I went with my son on his fifth grade field trip. My parents stopped there on their way to visit us and my dad loved the Farmer’s Museum there as much as the HOF.
We used to take two trips to Lake Placid every year. In July for my dad’s birthday (we’d go for a long weekend and play Craig Wood, Saranac Lake Country Club, and the Lake Placid Club on consecutive days). And then the week between Christmas and New Years. As beautiful as the lakes and mountains are in the summer, there is something magical about being there in the winter. Despite 50 trips up there, I have never been in the hockey rink, and I have never played Whiteface National. Two things on my to do list for 2022.

I tell people parts of Heaven must look like Lake Placid. We went to the rink in 2005 for a 25th anniversary celebration of the 1980 Games. Herb Brooks had died by then but it was amazing to see so many of the athletes from those Games. All of the Olympic venues fascinated me.

When I lived in San Francisco I loved playing tourist, going to all the famous places, riding the cable car to work, bike riding in Golden Gate Park.
Now that I'm in SC I've been to a couple here and in Charleston. Night of a Thousand Candles at Brookgreen Gardens was a real treat. I have not been to the Carolina Opry Christmas Show and I'm not really interested in it.

I eat at Skyline Chili often.
Is Kings Island a 'go-to' Cincinnati place? Been there plenty.

No trip to the Nati is complete without going to a Reds game to watch them lose when they go into the bull pen. Love Cincinnati, but I'm in MLB purgatory with the Reds!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most things, yep.

But there are definitely some activities that I’m disappointed not to have done. Tops on my list would be hiking the Chilkoot Trail.

Back