Have you ever broken a graphite driver shaft ....

Never have in 27 years of golf. Never broken a club or had a head come off. Probably will happen when I play today since I said that. :oops:

Last round with a buddy his driver shaft snapped at the adapter and I've seen a few snap over the years. The best was when a friend shanked a shot into his own bag and it snapped the driver head off.

I've seen 1, A project x hazrdus yellow handrolled snapped about 4 inches down from the grip.
It was not abused or smashed and it broke during a swing.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

yes. an accra shaft. my bag fell over and it snapped. it wasn't even a bad fall, but must have impacted at the perfect spot to break it. i did ask for a replacement, which was originally denied, but i asked again (i think respectfully) and was eventually granted i just had to pay the retailer a restocking fee.

I had a graphite driver shaft break on me a couple of years ago. The thing was it broke just under my grip, so it wasn't visibly apparent. There was an obvious loss of distance and the tendency for an open face due to the deflection from the load. Of course, there was also a feel like the shaft wasn't as stiff. So, it didn't take long to find the problem.

Yes Evenflow blue in my F8 and I'm expecting it to break in my fairway was well since it's a known issue.

I remember 3. Two were in my OG DCIs. One broke at the hosel and the other broke inside the grip. No abuse and Titleist replaced both, no questions asked. The other was in a friend's M1 driver that I had borrowed. It broke 6-8 inches below the grip as I hit a ball. I'm pretty sure it was a Mitsubishi. He was able to have it replaced within a week or so.

Broken 1 graphite and 1 steel. The graphite was the driver that I bought when I started learning golf. Broke near the neck area during a lesson. The head flew on to the range and my coach had to stop everyone :LOL::LOL:. I didn't even know what happened too.

I broke a Modus 105 shaft doing the Rory pump drill. The shaft broke off near handle. Had cuts on my hands and almost smashed a window too :poop::poop:

My girlfriend just broke her senior flex shaft on her G20 right in the middle, it was the stock shaft but I bought that club for her with no marking or damage whatsoever. I am not sure what happened but she said it felt like a normal swing and didn't make contact with the ground. I will not that I DID cut it down a bit to 43.5" to make it a little more manageable, that definitely could have contributed to how it disperses load.

Paging @wubears71

He'll be along shortly, probably breaking, or having someone else break, a HZRDUS yellow.

I kid, but he probably did go through 7 or 8 of them.
I’ve broken a few shafts. Project X replaced my yellow when an errant ball hit the shaft on a fly and broke it in half. CC has always been great to me getting new shafts.

I’ve broken a few shafts. Project X replaced my yellow when an errant ball hit the shaft on a fly and broke it in half. CC has always been great to me getting new shafts.
That is still one of the craziest stories I've read on this forum.

Just one despite being a recovering tomahawker. 975D snapped off right above the hosel at the driving range on a normal swing.

Yes. Through rage.

That is still one of the craziest stories I've read on this forum.
I am fairly certain that I would have a better chance of hitting the lottery than that happening again.

I’ve broken two, one was a a manufacturer defect as it broke under the grip on the 4th swing at the fulcrum point on the swing, and the other was a build issue as the adapter had to much epoxy up the shaft and created a shear point which got me into the extreme hobby of club building. So in a way I’m sorta grateful for the one.

Previous to Wednesday, the only shafts I broke were in what was obviously a defective Cobra Encore ZL head because I broke three of them, all at the tip. Not sheared off, just a split within the shaft within the adapter.

But Wednesday was a first. Shaft (Aldila Tour Green ATV 65X) bought new with adapter installed, probably had 15 rounds on it and never hit fat.

I’d noticed that the ferrule was creeping, or so I thought. Club head passed the hard twist test. But on #12, after hitting a great tee ball, putting the headcover back on as usual, the head snapped off within the cover.

A portion of the broken tip is still stuck in the adapter but I was able to swap shafts without issue. Another Tour Green on the way, just through a different seller.

Yes Evenflow blue in my F8 and I'm expecting it to break in my fairway was well since it's a known issue.
What do you mean a common issue?
Maybe I've gotten lucky since I have them in both driver and 3w going on 4 years.

Thank you all so far for sharing with or without details, it really seems quite rare for shafts to break anywhere but the grip or the tip/adapter area. This makes me wonder if the 'only' way a shaft can break in between is from abuse/misuse - and I for one don't think that to be the case. I believe that when they do break there it's from a breakdown of the material or a defect more than abuse (unless snapped over a knee or swung at a tree or pole (object, etc). I wish the manufacturers would do a bit of research (or perhaps share it) as to why they break.

I went to the range today - ALL my clubs are graphite and the putter is a stroke lab. I did not do anything out of the ordinary - and I was hitting off mats, hit a few fat - my wrists will both hurt for a couple days, but no damage. I hit about 35 driver swings and I use a range tee that accepts tees - so I was bending down after each shot, hit maybe one or two sorta fat, and few off the heel (or towards the heel), but again nothing out of the ordinary. I then putted a bit, etc. At no point did my use of the putter or driver for support cause any damage, nor (once I began to pay attention) did I believe that I could have done any damage - at least until it happens to me. On that other thread, I still maintain there had to be some other issue in play - and an examination of the shaft by at a minimum CC should be in order, if they see anything, they need to make Fuji then look at the shaft.

I believe the OP (Mike) from the other post, in that others have commented on him as well, plus the age of the club. I'd really like to see if there are more issues with model shaft or the Fuji brand going forward. There had to be some kind of abrasion - how deep, no idea, or just that the material broke down for one reason or another.

I have broken 3 in my life time.

One I snapped on a drive back when I swung as hard as I could. Head went flying. Snapped right at hosel.
One I snapped on a drive about 2" above the hosel. I then got pissed and snapped what was left of it over my knee. I still have the scar to prove it.
One I snapped throwing it at a cart after my 3 shank in a row in match play. Hit the cart and fracture the shaft way.

I know break shafts any more.

I broke a few on the Big Berth back in the mid 90s but it was a know issue.

I also broke the head off a well used Cleveland VAS 3w. The head went farther than the ball.

It's been a long time but I had one snap down near the hosel before. It was before I really knew much about equipment or club building, and I'm pretty sure I just used it as an excuse to upgrade. :LOL:

Been pretty smooth sailing ever since. Knock on wood. I'm still playing one of the OG handcrafted HZRDUS Yellows in my driver right now. Had it since I won my XR16 at the Club Clash. Ferrule is cracked but I'm afraid to touch it. Don't want to mess anything up.

I was demoing a used 3w from the local golf shop a few years ago. Striped it in the bay nice and fairly high for me. Trying it on the course and I hit several really bad shot in a row and gave it a little slam into the ground out of frustration. Needless to say I was the new owner of a 3 wood head and learned a lesson. I did break a shaft on @H8tobogie's Speedzone 4I when trying it out about a year ago. Not sure if it graphite or steel shaft though. Luckily the head didn't go any further and end up in some heavy brush and get lost.

What do you mean a common issue?
Maybe I've gotten lucky since I have them in both driver and 3w going on 4 years.

There's several reports in a Google search and even Project X acknowledging the issue.

I have had one shaft break on me. Well that is a generous way of saying it. I was hitting my 7 iron at the range and my driver was on a bag stand with some other irons. A strong gust of wind mid swing knocked the clubs over resulting in my downswing the 7 iron crushing the driver handle and breaking it in half. So if you ever see me at the range and wonder why my clubs are laying on the ground thag is the reason.

I have, but it was self-inflicted. I smacked the side of my bag with an iron, and the next time I pulled the 3 wood it folded in half.

I personally don't believe that a quality graphite shaft should break under normal use. Either a manufacturing defect and/or physical damage should be the only reason(s) to break.

Twice. Both near the hosel. Most recent one was a new PING G400 2 hybrid. Was only my 2nd round with it and the only reason I even played that January day was to get in some reps with my new toy. Since I was alone it took me forever to find that matte grey and brown head amongst all the dead leaves. The other was in an old one iron I'd had forever. Again just above the hosel.

Back