Have you ever played in a horserace?

Played in my first one this afternoon. Eliminated on the third hole. I hit an awful tee shot, and my partner and I made bogey. I thought there would be a chip off, but no straight cut. Really fun would recommend people to play in that format given the opportunity.

Yes, and we won it.

Played in many of them and was fortunate enough to win 2 and come in top 2-3 on a few more.
By far the most nervy golf I have played. There were times where there are 150-200 people watching and following with all sorts of smack talk, spouses having cocktails etc. All the while our pro is right there with a PA system doing the play by play of each shot. You better have your head on a swivel too, s***s are coming in from all over the place.
Super fun!

Our member/guest is this weekend and we are kicking it off today at 3:00 with an aggregate score horserace. Flights 1-3 will play holes 7-9, flights 4 and 5 will play holes 1, 5, and 6, and flights 6 and 7 will play holes 2, 3, and 4. It will be a true alt shot with the member teeing off first. Lowest aggregate score in each flight will win $500.

We will then have another horserace for the flight winners and two wild card teams on Sunday after the final match. In this one flights 1-4 will play the blue tees and flights 5-7 will play the white tees to make it a little more even for the difference in handicaps. In this one we play holes 5-9 and 2 team will be eliminated on holes 5,6, and 7. One team will be eliminated on 8 and the final two will play hole 9 until there is a winner.

One new thing that we are doing this year is changing up the way we eliminate someone due to a tie. In the past I've played in them and there has been a chip off with the closest to the pin moving on. This year we are going to go a little farther but within 100 yards and play it out alt shot from there. I like this idea better than relying on one single chip.

my club's Men's Invite uses this format as the final playoff between flight winners.
the amount of nerves on that first tee with 10 other teams and 50 spectators watching is unbelievable.
fun!

I was pulled for one in a member/guest a couple years back, they play it as alt shot A/B/C/D players on the team sorted by handicap, it was a ton of fun, we played 1, 2, 3, 17, 18 and won it on 18.

I was pulled for one in a member/guest a couple years back, they play it as alt shot A/B/C/D players on the team sorted by handicap, it was a ton of fun, we played 1, 2, 3, 17, 18 and won it on 18.
So it was a 4 person alt shot?

Our member/guest is this weekend and we are kicking it off today at 3:00 with an aggregate score horserace. Flights 1-3 will play holes 7-9, flights 4 and 5 will play holes 1, 5, and 6, and flights 6 and 7 will play holes 2, 3, and 4. It will be a true alt shot with the member teeing off first. Lowest aggregate score in each flight will win $500.

We will then have another horserace for the flight winners and two wild card teams on Sunday after the final match. In this one flights 1-4 will play the blue tees and flights 5-7 will play the white tees to make it a little more even for the difference in handicaps. In this one we play holes 5-9 and 2 team will be eliminated on holes 5,6, and 7. One team will be eliminated on 8 and the final two will play hole 9 until there is a winner.

One new thing that we are doing this year is changing up the way we eliminate someone due to a tie. In the past I've played in them and there has been a chip off with the closest to the pin moving on. This year we are going to go a little farther but within 100 yards and play it out alt shot from there. I like this idea better than relying on one single chip.

Sounds too confusing to me.

Sounds too confusing to me.

As long as somebody who knows what they're doing is keeping score, I'd just go out there and play golf. The premise is the same, finish the hole in as few strokes as possible.

We ended up winning ours in a playoff today! $250 Each!!!

Back