Have you ever played through a group without permission?

I have regularly skipped over groups with or without permission, no matter to me.

But no, I'd never play through a group. I can't even conceptualize the reason for my ever doing so.

I've gone around slower groups, but never through them without permission. However, sometimes you "gotta do what you gotta do," so I understand the OP's dilemna.

I’ve told this before (and caught hell for it, as I should have). Was having a coaching round with my two oldest boys, then 13 and 15 the end of last summer. I wasn’t playing just teaching. I’m not really qualified to mold a swing but I can see what’s going wrong and generally fix it, particularly with my middle son who is now better than I am (as are most with my game this year). Trying to work on course management, good misses, low scores, etc etc.

As we tee off on the par 4 6th there’s a group we see on 7’s tee. We’re on pace for about an 1:20 nine. Two kids playing, one scoring mid 30’s the other mid 40’s. Me watching and wishing I was that good at that age, lol.

We finished 6 before they were even off of 7’s tee. WTH? Figure it to take 10-12 minutes and they’re not off the tee by then? An hour later we’re waiting to hit our seconds into the long par 4 8’s green and I’d had enough. I noticed that there’s be just enough light for the group in front to finish but not us. So I acted like a dick (I don’t generally and especially in front of my kids) and from 200 yards back yelled “hey, can you either hurry up or let us through”!!? Despite no other provocation one big tall fella flings his putter and starts to charge at me. Hello? I’ve got 2 kids with me. I tell them to get behind me and be ready to take the cart and go.

Long story short another guy made a big show of the “hold me back bro” thing with him and come to find out that one is my directly behind me neighbor and the one that mock charged me is my neighbor (a State Highway Patrolman, why??) that lives another house or so down.

I’d imagine that it may not go well if he ever pulls me over. They were all drunk as hell. So much for their “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign. We finished without being able to see our balls hit into 9’s green. I acted inappropriately, I wouldn’t sweat it but with kids with me I was wrong. I’ve since made peace with my direct neighbor and I haven’t ran into the mock charge Statie.

Chalk that up to a bad night by everyone, but they actually played a 3.5 hour 9. There was no one else on the front when they were on 7’s tee. They teed off almost 2 hours before we did. They were part of “The League” which I’ve since been told is something sacred that we should never ask to play through. Ok. But they weren’t out to golf they were out to drink and the longer they took the more they could drink. There were three open holes in front of them when we caught them. If the sanctity of not playing through “The League” is so important, the course shouldn’t have sent us out. There was a reason they were the last group. They probably had been all year.

I was in the wrong a ton and I admit it but there’s zero reason to play a 3.5 hour nine. Nor to not let a group through that can play an entire par 4 before you can get off the tee. I don’t care about this almighty “League” thing. I just wanted to enjoy an evening watching my kids play. Tough to do that when it takes 1.5 hours to play three holes and you run out of light. We had to go totally off of where they thought the ball went on 9 as we couldn’t see it at all.

Not sure the relevance other than slow play and I felt like typing....lol.

I’ll typically ask the group in front of me to skip this hole. It’s a polite gesture. They usually say “go on ahead.”

But I’ve noticed that sometimes I will tell the group in front of me I’m skipping them. That format raises eyebrows and more often than not they then recognize their pace of play errors. I like this method best vs hollering at them, and causing a ruckus.

You can also always pull the hit the drive to the other fairway then to the correct green and be done before they even get in range of said green.

Trying to do that would probably be the only way I’d hit the correct fairway. I so sucked this year in the 10 whopping rounds I got to play.

write down a bogey, jump a hole is my normal play

I’ll skip as many holes as it takes to get past the slow groups and then play those holes at the end. That works great when you live in the neighborhood and drive your own cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never have and never would, I would not be pleased if someone tried to do that to me if I was being honest

If the pace is that bad I would look to see if I could skip a hole or maybe a couple depending on whereabouts I am on the course and how busy it is. As I have a membership it doesn't bother me if I don't play a full 18 every time I go out

Obviously if it is a competition then you just have to suck it up and not let it get to you and disturb your round

I have definitely skipped a hole but never played through right behind them like that. Thats a bit aggressive.
This is my plan if I need to get going. And rarely jump them when I walk by them

I think I agree with the majority here, I would definitely skip round them as opposed to just muscling through, that will only very infrequently end well or amicably. Appreciate the dilemma however, but I would absolutely never just play through without asking.

I can't think of a situation where I would play through without permission.

Generally I don't skip holes either. I'm outside, it's a nice day, so I have to wait a bit... not the worst thing in the world.

I’ve just skipped the hole and went around them. Ballsy move.

I am not a confrontational person at all. But one day time, I was playing twilight golf, jumping around holes to get past slow golfers, I ran into a couple of guys teeing off on a par 3. I stopped oh around 20 feet from the tee box. These 2 guys saw me and proceeded to hit shots after shots. After they fired off 5 shots each that went no longer than 20 yards, I moved up before they can tee off another shot. I informed them that I will pass thru, one guy gave me this nasty look.

So I stopped and asked him if it was ok ? He did not say anything but continued to stare at me. I asked him again, until his friend told me it was ok.This is a rarity as most folks are cordial and will be happy to let you play thru.

That idiot had no business being in a golf course.

Yes, I will never play thru a group without asking or informing them.

Standing on the 4th tee 1.5 hours into our round. Slow. They have been searching in the rough for their tees shots for 15 minutes. Step Bro calls the pro shop. Pro comes out and talks to them (Members who don't give a ****, think they own the course) Pro drives back to us and says he told them to pick up the pace. We say "Why didn't you wave us through"? "The members don't like that".
We tore a strip off him, picked up our balls and left. Step bro left a scathing review on the web that devolved into a hilarious back and forth with the club manager.
Fast forward 5 years. The "Home of the 6 hour rounds" is hurting for attendance. All of the old guard has died off. They can't get new members and no one wants to play there. They have waived initiation fees and fired said manager.

Standing on the 4th tee 1.5 hours into our round. Slow. They have been searching in the rough for their tees shots for 15 minutes. Step Bro calls the pro shop. Pro comes out and talks to them (Members who don't give a ****, think they own the course) Pro drives back to us and says he told them to pick up the pace. We say "Why didn't you wave us through"? "The members don't like that".
We tore a strip off him, picked up our balls and left. Step bro left a scathing review on the web that devolved into a hilarious back and forth with the club manager.
Fast forward 5 years. The "Home of the 6 hour rounds" is hurting for attendance. All of the old guard has died off. They can't get new members and no one wants to play there. They have waived initiation fees and fired said manager.

Next year, I am seriously considering purchasing a yearly membership in one of the golf clubs where I reside. In my initial inquiry, I shared some of my motivations in doing this are to have available tee times specially on the weekends and be able to finish an 18 hole play under 4 1/2 hours. The gentleman gave me a couple of ‘guest’ passes to play on the weekends.

Price for a yearly membership is not ridiculously expensive, but perhaps worth it if I can play regularly and have a pleasant time doing it.

Back