Have you ever sworn off a course?

There’s a course here in MN that I absolutely hate. It’s consistently rated one of the best in MN but I think it’s such and overrated and Mickey Mouse course that I seriously won’t play it again…(if it’s my choice).

Sworn completely off, No.

However, a course near my house used to be a normal every month course, but due to poor maintenance we just stopped going there and have no interest ever going back.

I have a couple here in the area that I'm loath to play, One is a muni in the heart of town, flat, nondescript layout, plays long for me and the greens are usually inconsistent. My big frustrations with it are the greens. I'm a decent putter, but I can't seem to read them and they all seem to play different speeds... (Randolph North)

The other is one of the oldest courses in town, and while I like the design, the conditioning is generally poor. It's like they'll go several days without mowing the tee boxes one week, and the next week they don't mow the greens. I've lived here 4 years and I've only seen it in great shape once or twice. It's a shame, because it's a nice, old school layout. Short, tight and small greens with some movement. ( Forty Nine'r )
I also played Dove Mountain, which was highly over rated and over priced. I would play it again for $50-60, but not their rack rate. I could see why the pro's didn't like it.

Kind of. I’ve sworn off Balboa Gc for the moment. It’s actually a great muni with a fun set up and amazing views of San Diego. It’s just a terrible fit for my game and I really struggle there on what should be an easy course to score on. It’s very narrow with OB right and left off every tee. My length doesn’t help at all there and I pay brutally for being inaccurate off the tee and lose a ton of balls. I will absolutely get back to this course in the future as I improve but for the time being I’m avoiding it as it’s just too frustrating for me.

Interesting take. I liked that course.
Played it twice on buddy trips. After the second time I told everyone that if they chose to go back there I would go bowling that day. Hate that place.

We have a rotation of courses we play within an hour's drive, and there's only one course in that radius that we absolutely won't play. It's a total goat track, they should pay people to come play it. One of the others we'll only play during the summer because it's not worth the price during prime season. Green fees right now are $120, which is at least double any other course we play - it's a nice course, but it's definitely not double the value of any of the others.

...I also played Dove Mountain, which was highly over rated and over priced. I would play it again for $50-60, but not their rack rate. I could see why the pro's didn't like it.
We played Dove Mountain in July so the price was reasonable - but what a frustrating course. I'd play it again (at the discounted rate) just to see if I could be a little less humiliated, but I agree that I can see why the pros didn't like it either! I felt a little bad about calling Jack Nicklaus all the names I called him that day. :LOL:

Cimmerone and royal st augustine are on my local do not play list here in NE FL.

NE Floridian here too!

Ill 2nd you on Royal St Augustine. That course was built like they had a subdivision already built that had a little space behind each house and they crammed 18 holes in there. Terrible layout. Had a buddy bounce a shot off a roof that somehow ended up on the green. Yeah that’s stupid tight. No clue who designed it. Nobody seems to want to take credit for that one. 🤣

Cimmaroony as we like to call it can be fun. But water on 17 of 18 holes is certainly a challenge. One of the players in my group has sworn it off as well but I’ll take it on if I’m feeling good about my game. David Poselthwait designed it.

I have not, but one ofy favorite layouts around here was in awful condition the last time I played it. Weeds growing in sand traps, long grass in the fairway, bare patches on almost every green. I have not been back, but I probably will at some point.

Thats a huge bummer! Weeds in the bunkers is always a bad sign for a course.

Kind of. I’ve sworn off Balboa Gc for the moment. It’s actually a great muni with a fun set up and amazing views of San Diego. It’s just a terrible fit for my game and I really struggle there on what should be an easy course to score on. It’s very narrow with OB right and left off every tee. My length doesn’t help at all there and I pay brutally for being inaccurate off the tee and lose a ton of balls. I will absolutely get back to this course in the future as I improve but for the time being I’m avoiding it as it’s just too frustrating for me.

Played there a long time ago but remember some funky holes.

Can’t say I’ve sworn off any courses…. however, there are probably one or two that i’ve stunk up so bad, they wish I wouldn’t come back. 🤣

Hillview in North Reading, MA. 18 hole munci. I actually don't mind the layout, but the greens are always horrible and it's always slow. Even if it was the only option, it would take some serious convincing for me to play it.

Have never sworn off a course entirely, but there are a few that will take some convincing for me to play and one is really close to me in proximity. decided to stop playing there so often once they raised there rates to the same as nicer courses but maintain it like a 20$ with cart course.

Played there a long time ago but remember some funky holes.
It’s actually a fun unique course with some cool holes. Just very brutal for me being long and wild. My friends who are short and accurate but struggle with length drop some of their best scores there since it’s pretty short.

Yes. Too many greens with a bunker smack in front of it that create a forced carry.

There is a course near me that I have stopped played due to the manager that runs the clubhouse. There is no customer service at all. Will not play there again unless there is a change in management.

Oh, absolutely! There was one course that was always one of our favorites in the area. Then the owner sold it to some outfit that seemed to have no idea of how to maintain and run a golf course, despite the fact that they owned another one somewhere that we'd never heard of before. The conditioning continued to slip, and then a new, upsaled daily fee course opened on the other side of town. It is gorgeous, and that was the old course's death knell. It was bought by the farmer next door and is now used to graze cattle!

And sometimes we'll swear off a course for a period of time. There was a local course that was owned by a nearby city. Very popular. They discovered that the guy running it was embezzling, so they fired him and looked for someone else to run the place to no avail. So, they just closed it for 2 years with absolutely no maintenance! Then they found someone who wanted to try to run it, but they didn't seem to have a very good idea of how to bring a course back. We played it, once, and there were broad leaf weeds growing in the greens! Crossed them off again.

Then, they found another outfit willing to take on the job, and they have brought the course back! And it's become quite popular again. When the courses reopened from the COVID, My main golf buddy would just drive up there to get a quick 9 in if he couldn't find anybody else to play. He began to notice the parking lot becoming more and more crowded. This Summer he did that and the counter person told him he couldn't get him out for a couple of hours! And this was on a weekday! They've had 2 record years in a row! It's an old, classic style course, and it's said that Hogan played here several times, and really loved the back 9!

Last edited:
I won’t say that it’s been “sworn off”.... but, there is a course in Marshville, NC.... that is just TOO difficult for me. (I’m interested to see if anyone on here will know what I’m referring to.). Anyway... the first three holes are almost diabolical! Several other holes are super difficult, also. My game is not well suited for hilly, almost mountainous golf... and this closely resembles that. Too much of a beast for me!!!

I have one in mind that we haven't played in years because it's always overbooked and a 5 hour round. Another is close to being blacklisted because the green complexes resemble a mini golf course, only missing the clowns mouth.

any course that is ridiculously difficult or in poor condition or where pace is slower than I deem acceptable -- ALL BARRED FOR LIFE

Yes I have sworn off a course but not because it was too difficult. It was because the management's treatment of the guys in the pro shop... and their subsequent decisions.

Quite a few. Some due to conditions, others due to 'design'. and one or two because of the staff who treat the 'non-member' public like the plague. At least one starter, as we (2 groups of relatives) were getting the 'first tee speech' about pace, cart rules, etc.. referred to visiting tourists as "Tour-ons". My cousin who is around 6'4 and 270 gets up and says: "Excuse me? WE'RE visiting tourists..." "Oh-... I didn't mean you guys, I saw you on the range...". After the round, besides the initial incident, we decided that we wouldn't be back. For what it was, the course was overpriced and underwhelming. We would rather drive the extra 30 minutes to the mainland to play somewhere else.

NE Floridian here too!

Ill 2nd you on Royal St Augustine. That course was built like they had a subdivision already built that had a little space behind each house and they crammed 18 holes in there. Terrible layout. Had a buddy bounce a shot off a roof that somehow ended up on the green. Yeah that’s stupid tight. No clue who designed it. Nobody seems to want to take credit for that one. 🤣

Cimmaroony as we like to call it can be fun. But water on 17 of 18 holes is certainly a challenge. One of the players in my group has sworn it off as well but I’ll take it on if I’m feeling good about my game. David Poselthwait designed it.
Cimmerone, its been a while but conditions are why it is on my list. Layout is actually great.

Cimmerone, its been a while but conditions are why it is on my list. Layout is actually great.

Yeah I like it too. But they have never been able to keep the greens there. I don’t know why. They redid them a few years ago. And now? Back to looking bad again. It’s a shame really.

Not that I can think of

Got a public course near me that I’m fine never playing again. So let’s start with the price, $25 18 w/cart. That should give a hint at its condition. Any shade, no grass. Traps are never maintained, they even have a sign at the clubhouse about removing you ball from a trap. Last time we played it, early this year, it looked like they mow the fairways about once a week and the greens were not mowed at all. Guy just never showed up, plus it took almost 30 minutes for the guy at the desk to get us paid out. So we were 10 minutes late teeing off, and we were the first group.

Back