Help me pick a new (ish) driver!

If you're considering new... i'd suggest the Ping G425 Max. (I change drivers so infrequently, i bite the bullet and usually will grab the newest model.)
I picked one up this year after 6-7 years with my previous driver and, simply put.... it has completely changed my game off the tee (for the better).

If looking for a gently used club.... maybe the G410 would do the trick. I've read great things about them also.
Whatever you decide on, please be sure to get fitted with the correct shaft for your swing. Good luck!!

So I just bought the Mavrik Max, second hand. £225 ($312) delivered.

Just over 3 months old, still looks immaculate, and the Evenflow Riptide 6.0s shaft should suit my swing down to the ground. Mid launch, mid spin and works well with smooth tempos, which my swing generally is.

I could have got one from Callaway pre-owned in the US thanks to a kind offer from a member here, but after customs fees (approx $50-60) it would have ended up costing me more.

IMG_20210727_215308.jpg
IMG_20210727_220543.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever you decide on, please be sure to get fitted with the correct shaft for your swing. Good luck!!
Youre right but I can't afford any of these at full retail price. I wouldn't feel comfortable going for a fitting knowing I wasn't going to purchase from them.

Plus the driving is the weakest part of my game at the minute, and I'd be a little self-conscious too! Irrational I know as they see all sorts of handicappers, but still true.

I've made sure it's a shaft based on my swing to the best of my knowledge. That will do for now. If I have issues then yes I'd bite the bullet and get fit.

Just over 3 months old, still looks immaculate, and the Evenflow Riptide 6.0s shaft should suit my swing down to the ground. Mid launch, mid spin and works well with smooth tempos, which my swing generally is.

I could have got one from Callaway pre-owned in the US thanks to a kind offer from a member here, but after postage and customs fees it would have likely ended up costing me more, and taken longer.

View attachment 9019146
View attachment 9019147
Congrats and let us know how you like it. The Mav Max is a great driver!

I was going to advise you to get the 6.0 S flex and 60g. Looks like you did it. Good job. The 50g is too high torque for my taste.

Try switching the weights around, too. I put the heavy weight in the center on mine.

Yeah, congrats and make sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Callaway, Cobra and TaylorMade will have plenty of options that are 2-3 years old well inside your price range. I would lean toward Callaway options others have listed in the thread first then Cobra, but that’s just me. Ping makes great gear too that generally fits your profile.

I could have got one from Callaway pre-owned in the US thanks to a kind offer from a member here, but after customs fees (approx $50-60) it would have ended up costing me more.
Awesome driver and shaft combo…. Best of luck with it. Have fun!!

Callaway, Cobra and TaylorMade will have plenty of options that are 2-3 years old well inside your price range. I would lean toward Callaway options others have listed in the thread first then Cobra, but that’s just me. Ping makes great gear too that generally fits your profile.
Funny you should mention that.... I just went for the Mavrik Max. Cobra Speedzone Xtreme was second choice. Ping G410 SFT not too far down the list either, though they are a little pricey if still in very good condition.

I got a Sim Max a month ago for $375. I love it, was huge step up from my old Ping G30.
I was just checking the SIM range just in case last night! The lack of adjustability in the Max and Max OS is what what turned me off it though.
I need a bit of draw weighting to help reduce sidespin when I fade/slice.

I was going to advise you to get the 6.0 S flex and 60g. Looks like you did it. Good job. The 50g is too high torque for my taste.

Try switching the weights around, too. I put the heavy weight in the center on mine.
Thanks, about time I got a decision right! My current Cobra M-Speed is an Aldila NV-M 50g Regular. I do find it a little light and whippy at times. Goes too high for my tastes.

I need some draw bias so it'll be weighted in the centre for a few shots, then the heel to see what difference (if any) it makes.

Thanks, about time I got a decision right! My current Cobra M-Speed is an Aldila NV-M 50g Regular. I do find it a little light and whippy at times. Goes too high for my tastes.

I need some draw bias so it'll be weighted in the centre for a few shots, then the heel to see what difference (if any) it makes.
Use lead weight tape if you have too , cheap an easily removed and repositioned

Back