High bounce Lob wedge

thehackingmurse

@mursesunited
Reaction score
Anyone gaming a high bounce Lob? Went in for a wedge fitting and was surprised they put me into a 12 degree lob. I've always gamed a 8 or lower.

Wanted to hear everyone's opinion. People who have went from low to high and vice versa. Can you still hit high flops with it? Haven't been able to test it out on the course.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Anyone gaming a high bounce Lob? Went in for a wedge fitting and was surprised they put me into a 12 degree lob. I've always gamed a 8 or lower.

Wanted to hear everyone's opinion. People who have went from low to high and vice versa. Can you still hit high flops with it? Haven't been able to test it out on the course.

Thanks!

I do have a high bounce lob wedge sitting in the garage. It works well for me in soft conditions, but practically useless for me in short hard conditions. K grind Vokey SM7.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unless it was a fitting for a specific wedge, I am not fan of a fitting to bounce, since so many soles are different. Between grind and how bounce is measured, that leaves far too many openings for a bad fit.

I do have a high bounce lob wedge sitting in the garage. It works well for me in soft conditions, but practically useless for me in short hard conditions. K grind Vokey SM7.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's what I'm worried about. I play some cheap Muni courses during the summer that are pretty firm with coworkers. I have my gap and sand in double digits. Wondering if I should exchange the lob for an 8.

Unless it was a fitting for a specific wedge, I am not fan of a fitting to bounce, since so many soles are different. Between grind and how bounce is measured, that leaves far too many openings for a bad fit.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'll go back. Haven't taken the new clubs out for the wrapper so I can always exchange.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'll go back. Haven't taken the new clubs out for the wrapper so I can always exchange.

Armed with the knowledge in that video, you will be able to have a clear cut idea of the reason for the fitting when speaking to your fitter.

Armed with the knowledge in that video, you will be able to have a clear cut idea of the reason for the fitting when speaking to your fitter.
Yeah it makes a lot more sense now. After years of guess work, I'm finally getting fit for things. Just started this week with a putter and these wedges. Ha I need to wrap my head around the idea that I'm going to a professional for a reason and should trust what they saw in my swing rather than what I think I need.

I went from 8 to my current of 12. I will admit I had to relearn the high soft shots a little but I’m finding more of what I’m looking for out of that spot.
I especially noticed a difference out of bunkers, in a good way. The extra bounce is making contact easier & I’m seeing quite a few more kick ins.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from 8 to my current of 12. I will admit I had to relearn the high soft shots a little but I’m finding more of what I’m looking for out of that spot.
I especially noticed a difference out of bunkers, in a good way. The extra bounce is making contact easier & I’m seeing quite a few more kick ins.
Just my thoughts.

Appreciate this. I'm just going to break these things out and just trust the fit. Thanks guys. I've been away for a bit (2 new kiddos) but glad to see this awesome community hasn't changed.

Appreciate this. I'm just going to break these things out and just trust the fit. Thanks guys. I've been away for a bit (2 new kiddos) but glad to see this awesome community hasn't changed.

I will say, tight lies & the high flop don’t mix, for me at least.

I’m playing a 58.12 and hate it. I have a shallow swing and it’s very difficult to do anything other than a low bump and run type chip with. I will always perform best with 6-8* of bounce. I’ve tried different sole grinds/widths and it’s made no difference on course - high bounce doesn’t work for me.

My son has a 58.06 and I hit it every now and then to check my sanity. It’s so much easier to use for me and my swing. I’m planning on buying a replacement wedge ASAP, but have tried to be more thoughtful on golf purchases this year and take some time/test more before making any changes.

My 12 degree D grind Vokey wedge has been a game changer for me. I know at the grandaddy I’ll be looking for something similar like the X grind.

I have no problem hitting flop shots, although personally I don’t think anyone should select a wedge based on that type of shot. With the right technique, you should be able to flop it with anything. Having the wider grind and larger bounce should give you more forgiveness in basic chips and pitches, and especially out of the sand. I’d trust the fit and go with more bounce.

I recently switched from a 58.08 to a 58.10 and it has really improved my grass game. I think I was a bit better out of the sand with the 58.08, but not enough to sacrifice my improvement elsewhere with the switch.

Bounce is just one factor. My New Level 60 that I played for most of 2 seasons has a bouncr of 14. But because of the grind I found it to be easy to play in all situations.

I solve the high/low bounce issue by having separate wedges for separate conditions

I'm hesitant to use a high bounce lob wedge. Scares me that I wouldn't be able to dig with it.

Back