Hitting someone else's club better than your own?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever hit someone's else's club better than your own?

This year a guy I played golf with often got fitted and one of the clubs he bought was a Ping 22 degree hybrid. I don't remember the exact model. Several times he has handed me the club during a round and every single time I crush the ball with it! I have not hit a bad hit with that club.

He just cannot get over how I hit with it and said, "You need to get you one of these." Well, I have not moved any further on that, but I have found it interesting that I hit that club so well. I don't hit my hybrids anywhere close to that well.

Does this ever happen to you and if so, share your experiences.

Not really, as feel and stiffness are usually different from my friends' clubs. Same reason they don't hit mine well

But watch, if you got that club there would be a drop off in how well you hit. Perhaps we make small adjustments with our equipment that makes strikes worse, and we don't do that dmfor someone else's club..

i feel like its all in ones head.
the moment i change clubs i hit them good also.. then its back to reality.. no but all honesty imo its probably in your head.
get that ping hybrid and rock it.

Only time I have done that was with a putter. Guy I golf with has a TM spider, left my putter in the bag to chip and just walked up to the green. He had his putter so I used and dropped the putt from 8 feet. Did it again on the next hole from 6 feet. He laughed as he couldn't believe I made both putts.

I think after ownership, it all goes downhill haha. I did hit my friend's new Mavrik driver the other day and smashed it, but when I was fitted at C.C. there was no driver I tried incl. Mavrik that hit the ball further than my old driver, so maybe it was a one off.

I think after ownership, it all goes downhill haha.
I this is probably accurate and there is probably some data to go along with this. The only clubs that I have constantly hit are my Mavrik MAX irons (fitted and purchased in February) and I have maintained very well with them. Probably the forgiveness on my bad ball strikes. :cool:

I had a second driver that I couldn't hit well and was able to sell it for basically what I got it for because my friends brother tried it and gained 30 yards over his poorly fitted for gamer. He swings like 110 and was using a 10+ year old driver with a stock stiff shaft.

Have you ever hit someone's else's club better than your own?

This year a guy I played golf with often got fitted and one of the clubs he bought was a Ping 22 degree hybrid. I don't remember the exact model. Several times he has handed me the club during a round and every single time I crush the ball with it! I have not hit a bad hit with that club.

He just cannot get over how I hit with it and said, "You need to get you one of these." Well, I have not moved any further on that, but I have found it interesting that I hit that club so well. I don't hit my hybrids anywhere close to that well.

Does this ever happen to you and if so, share your experiences.
The reverse for me is true with my Mavrik driver, anyone who hits it wants one

Reminds me of a buddies trip to FL a few years back. One of the guys in my foursome had the latest TM driver and was pumped about it, said it was the first time he'd paid that much for a club, but "it was worth it!" So after I had hit my drive on a hole, he asked me if I wanted to try it. Sure. So I hit a 2nd ball and it was nice, right down the middle and looked pretty long. I handed it back to him and he said, "hey for $400 it's yours!" I said "Haha, no thanks!" So we get out to our drives and of course my first tee shot with my 3 year old Cobra was 10 yards longer. :D I looked at him, "$400 eh?" :p

Only time I have done that was with a putter. Guy I golf with has a TM spider, left my putter in the bag to chip and just walked up to the green. He had his putter so I used and dropped the putt from 8 feet. Did it again on the next hole from 6 feet. He laughed as he couldn't believe I made both putts.
Well you do play pretty much the same putter in your TT Ten don't you..... :unsure:

When traveling a few years ago, I played one of my best rounds ever with my grandmother’s irons, my dad’s putter, and his closed-face driver. I used that same setup a second time a year later and it did not go well. But it was nice while it lasted!

Sometimes someone would have a club that was a better fit. I have had that happen and I wound up buying a similar club. When that has happened though I would want to try and take the club out for a complete round rather than hit it once or twice. At a minimum when a friend has a club I am considering I would play that club every time during the round the shot came up.

Well you do play pretty much the same putter in your TT Ten don't you..... :unsure:
For the most part, but this one had a big ole fat Super Stroke grip on it.

One of my playing partner bought a new driver and i swung it out on the course a few times and hit it really well, repeatedly. So....mine will be in tomorrow!

Last round I played I asked my playing partner if I could try out his Ping G400 Max with a Matrix Black Tie in stiff. I’m in love.......

I would love for this to happen. I usually have the newer/different club(s) though. And when I don't, or someone has something I've never seen or hit, people seem way weirder about letting others hit their stuff than I am. It's very strange to me.

I would love for this to happen. I usually have the newer/different club(s) though. And when I don't, or someone has something I've never seen or hit, people seem way weirder about letting others hit their stuff than I am. It's very strange to me.

We’ve played together for years, and both us us being club hoes we always hit each other’s clubs.

For the most part, but this one had a big ole fat Super Stroke grip on it.
:starwars: Oi.....there's nothing wrong with Super Stroke - I have a mid slim 2.0 on my putter

:starwars: Oi.....there's nothing wrong with Super Stroke - I have a mid slim 2.0 on my putter
Don't care for the feel of them. Tour SNSR 140 for me.

Today for a bit of a laugh I hit my wife's TaylorMade M2 on a few holes and spanked it right down the middle. I hit it as good as I've hit my Mizuno ST200.

The M2 is shorter, lighter, shorter and lofted 2 more degrees than my own, it had a lovely flight to it and overall just as long, but I felt a bit more in control with it, go figure :ROFLMAO:

The problem with club testing in general is that you hit like ten shots max and then buy the club you hit the best. However, which club you hit the best over such a small sample size is mostly dumb luck.

I think after ownership, it all goes downhill haha.

It’s called the honeymoon phase. Works exceptionally good for a week or so and then it’s back to business as usual.

I have a few times over my career but not too often. I do remember the times I tried it I hit the ball very well each time. I’m pretty sure I was more focused on good contact and taking advantage of making the most out of the swing. Also that thing about not wanting to sky mark their club makes me really make sure I put a good swing on the clubs.

I suspect the club you were hitting is the Ping G410. Check it the next time you are out with your buddy. If so, I totally understand! That head is so hot. I got fit for a hybrid early this summer at CC and even though I had all the club heads from virtually every brand available that head was so far above the others (with the exception of the Mavrik, which was close).

As far as the phenomenon of trying a buddy's club on the course. That is a scenario mostly foreign to me. I'm left handed.

Last edited:
Back