Hole you just can't play well.

cnl390

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have a relatively easy (or should be) hole that for whatever reason you just can't play well? Mine is #4 at Northern Hills here in San Antonio. 150ish par 3 slightly uphill, wide open, no bunkers or trouble in front. I can't remember ever hitting this green in regulation. I go way right, left, or chunk it 60 yards. This hole gets in my head no matter how well I'm playing.

9 on my home course.

180ish par 3 over a big ravine. In theory it shouldn't be that hard, but it's always on a major upslope.

The theory is to hit it left of the pin which has much less of a hill onto the green. If you land up to 20 yards short you're facing quite the slope.

I "should" be able to 3w my way close enough to chip on and 2 putt for a bogey and walk away, but somehow it often ends up far greater than that.

3 on my regular course. It’s basically a 90° dog left left with OB along the right side. Every time I seem to push one towards OB. Sometimes it makes it to the corner and sometimes it does not. Even if it makes it to the corner there’s a tree that blocks your path to the green.

#4 on the Hills nine at my home course.

According to the card, it's 367 yards from the white tees which means it should be gettable. From the tee to the start of the fairway (approximately 150 yards) is all downhill, and from the low point it's all uphill to the green. According to Shot Scope my average driver distance is 230 yards, yet I always seem to have 150 left into this green. But it gets better - not only is it all uphill, the green is hyper-elevated about eight feet above the fairway: you're not bouncing one onto this green! More often than not your approach comes rolling back towards you off the false front.

The green is maybe 10 yards deep and has a wicked slope in the front third which I've watched putts roll right off the green back into the fairway. Playing this hole you're satisfied just to make bogey. Par feels like winning the lottery and I don't know if I've ever witnessed a birdie.....

Local goat track that @Nerdy is familiar with- Thornapple - Hole #11 is a 230 yard par 3 over a creek. It's an in between club for me and I always choose the wrong one- Think in the 75 times I've played the course over the years I've hit the green maybe twice?

16 at Green Valley Ranch golf club lives in my head rent free. The trees fronting the green on the right make me way more uncomfortable than they probably should. I’ve tried being aggressive off the tee. I’ve laid back off the tee. I’ve never hit the green in regulation.

IMG_0174.jpeg

#2 on my home course, par 3 . Only tee box and green, big tree just left of green. Pond on the right and wraps around green. Green has slopes away from it, so if you don't hit the green your in the water.

#1 on my local at Riverdale Knolls.
Screenshot_20240329_074712_TheGrint.jpg
Not long, but struggle to play it well every time. Left is OB, right now with the drains dry you can play out of it (did that last time), right is bad. It's usually a long iron or hybrid of the normal tees. I'm lucky if I take a bogey here to start the round.

Hole 10 on Cog Hill course 2. 430yd par 4. Hazards right and left. Two tiered fairway splits bc of a ravine downslope at 240 yards. You have to stay left

Even if you’re on the right side fairway then you have overhanging trees all along the right side. You have to hit a 200 yard shot and fade it 50+ yards if actually wanna hit the green.

Green and surrounding area slopes HARD back to front. Right side front of the green is about a 30 foot ravine. If you miss the green to the left and catch a bunker you then have a downhill lie and have to keep it on a green sloping away from you down to that ravine

IMG_4437.png

Local goat track that @Nerdy is familiar with- Thornapple - Hole #11 is a 230 yard par 3 over a creek. It's an in between club for me and I always choose the wrong one- Think in the 75 times I've played the course over the years I've hit the green maybe twice?
That hole is just dumb for 95% of the general public playing those tees.

Holes 7 and 8 at Rolling Meadows trip me up every time.
7 is a baby par 3 at 115 or so, but for whatever reason I just can't find the green there and there isn't much room around it and you're in trees punching out on a par 3 :ROFLMAO:
8 should set up great with my fade but sooooo many trees if you are the least bit off line. And it's long. Always have a hybrid in even if I get off the tee ok

That hole is just dumb for 95% of the general public playing those tees.

Holes 7 and 8 at Rolling Meadows trip me up every time.
7 is a baby par 3 at 115 or so, but for whatever reason I just can't find the green there and there isn't much room around it and you're in trees punching out on a par 3 :ROFLMAO:
8 should set up great with my fade but sooooo many trees if you are the least bit off line. And it's long. Always have a hybrid in even if I get off the tee ok
Forgot about those two- had league at RM last year and #7 wasn't as impactful, but you're right #8 is a significant pain in the rear. Towards the end of the season I would just tee it high and try to take it over the trees on the right- 50/50 success rate.

The one at my home course I struggle with the most is the 210 yard 11th hole, especially when it’s a back pin where the yardage is about 225 yards or 240 yards off the back tees. The predominant wind is across from right to left. There is a large dip(Biarritz) across the middle of the green that often either stops your ball or shoots it forward over the back of the green. Putting out of the dip is also a real challenge. With a front flag it can play as little as 178 yards and it’s a much easier hole from that yardage but we rarely see a front flag especially on men’s league day.

This pic is from the back left of the green looking back at the tee. It gives you a good look at the severity of the Biarritz.

77895ECE-8AFE-4B6A-98F1-134705183ACD.jpeg

Not touching this one. Just staying away.

9 at my home course. This hole drives me absolutely crazy. It’s a 369yd par 4 that plays slightly uphill and pretty straightforward. There’s a bunker up the left side that really isn’t in play. The entire right side is a big hill that will funnel shots back down to the fairway.

Between that and the wide landing area, you think this would be an easy hole. For some reason, this is where my pole hook comes out every damn time, and I end up over the hill and in the backyard to the left. I hate this stupid hole!
IMG_4299.jpeg

#7 at my buddy’s club. if you bail right you have a very long second shot. too far right is ob. the carry over the water depends on the line you take. i have splooshed so many times on this hole i just cannot make a good swing off the tee.

IMG_0830.png

Par 5’s tend to be a thorn for me

Yes no 4 in Sewailo. I either catch first bunker, farther bunker or go too far right.

IMG_0610.png

Sadly the course closed but I could never play 10 at Evergreen in Baytown, TX. 500ish par 5, slight dogleg right with houses on the corner right and water on the left corner. Was still a huge landing area. Not sure I ever played it without putting one in the guy on the corners pool.

Lake Arlington GC - Hole #6 - the hole is beside a busy street. I always freak out on this one.

1711727539091.png

I have a long par 5 at my home course, with bunkers off the tee and I just can't ever seem to play the hole smarter, lay up short of the bunkers off the tee, play something to get into position for a wedge 3rd, hit the green and walk off with a par, it's in my head as soon as I get to the tee, as it will tomorrow when I play it!

Our Par 5 11th. Only 485 off the Gray tees, 520 Blues. But it’s uphill 120 feet, and the green is narrow left to right and falls off sharply left, right and front. I call it the easiest par 6 in South Carolina.
1711728292348.png

The 13th at my home course, Apple Mountain. I'll qualify this one by saying it should be easy due to being a mid-length par-3 for me at 154 yds from the whites (a stout 190 yds from the blues), but there is really no place to miss. You can see from this photo, left gets knocked down by the trees, right is dead, short will either kick right into the trees/hazard, or leave you with a terrible uphill lie and second shot, and long leaves a downhill lie to a green sloping away from you. I can miss any one of those ways. :banghead:

8SBauYSpvALNrdFGu89_F3wbdXmqSUIwAw4J3EbWNxRzqcKiUlwMwXszCqxlr9m2itolZym0S9tT8d_8nlX-H1F-Lx_rIDVpNj9as7DL4TUgrlzOLOsg8YSZAIYUdva9z5OZhrUJeQkDIA

Back