Home Sim Build in Small Dangerous Places :)

I’m about to begin testing a mat from indoor golf shop that I was told is better than my fiber built at less money. The way they piece together rooms at less, blows places like Carls away.

What is the name of the company and when are you testing it? I have a mat for my simulator but I’m not too happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was one of my top 3 potential choices and love the fact that you can use a real tee with it.

Finally got the gaming laptop I had ordered yesterday and got it set up. Installed the Skytrak app and registered the machine. Downloaded TGC 2019 and got everything working. I will say this - the set up for the two together is not the most intuitive process ever. Took myself and my IBM-employed son a bit to figure out that you EITHER have the Skytrak software open and connected OR the the TGC 2019 software open and connected - but not both at the same time.

I did a few test shots on a course with a foam ball and all is working. I will confess, there is a 2-3 second lag time between shot and seeing the shot tracer on the screen. With a high-powered new laptop (supposedly with ideal hardware for golf simulation programs) I'll confess I was a little disappointed in that. I wasn't expecting simultaneous graphics or zero lag time, but it's a little longer than I was hoping for. I was hitting an orange foam ball with no markings in a dimly lit room - hoping maybe with an actual ball in a brightly lit hitting area it might be better but that may be wishful thinking. Not sure if there is anything I can do to improve lag time but would love to hear from folks who have accomplished that? I tried with the Skytrak wirelessly connected, as well as USB connected but didn't see any noticeable difference.

USB is marginally faster than WiFi generally, but the Skytrak delay is well documented and about 2 seconds is the best...it's a little frustrating, but most just come to accept that

USB is marginally faster than WiFi generally, but the Skytrak delay is well documented and about 2 seconds is the best...it's a little frustrating, but most just come to accept that

yeah, that sounds right - thanks!

When I had the Sky Trak system before, the Wi-Fi was too glitchy so I ran a hard line from the unit underneath the mat to the PC that I had a few feet away. That eliminated all issues. There was just a second or two of lag time. I got used to it pretty quick though.

A week from today my buddy comes down to help me finish my simulator room. Some signage in place and got some of my wall padding here - the rest to arrive soon.

Pumped!

sim1.png

22248CF9-B3BE-4B95-85E0-37B4284A1721.jpeg95A1F4B9-FE2E-427C-B03E-4CBA18B1C7D5.jpeg

sim2.png

Attachments

• A7599FC8-3446-41A2-B273-5DA108244D21.jpeg
    A7599FC8-3446-41A2-B273-5DA108244D21.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3F9DF298-3345-4FD5-88C3-D939A42C8FA4.jpeg
    3F9DF298-3345-4FD5-88C3-D939A42C8FA4.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So tomorrow will start putting my sim room together. Just had a quick question for you Skytrak vets.

My understanding is that the Skytrak works better (quicker response, fewer misreads, etc...) if it is connected to the laptop using it's wifi functionality (vs. hardwiring the Skytrak to the laptop with the USB cable). My plan is to connect the laptop I'll use directly to my router/internet source with network cable. But here's my question...

Should I use 'Direct' mode or 'Network' mode in this setup? I will be running TGC 2019 in addition to the Skytrak software. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I actually thought Skytrak worked best connected via USB, but when I've used them it's all been WiFi in network mode with little issues (unless the WiFi/internet goes out)

It’s counter-intuitive, but apparently there are a lot of powersaving timeouts built into Windows that impact USB ports. What I e read anyway…

My impact screen is only 6 ft from where I hit. The issues you should consider are:
1. Bounce back. Get a foam cover on the floor between you and the screen. Don't forget to protect the glass behind you as a sand wedge can come off the screen with some velocity and height. (My bay is about 14 ft deep).
2. Use a good hard cover ball. I'll spare you the math but it takes a golf ball about 10 feet to fully decompress after impact. Encountering another impact before then can really wear out the ball (ball cracks).
I started with cheap balls called 'bombs' from Dicks because I didn't want to hurt my "good balls". My logic was flawed. I now use TP5s or Callaways and they seem to hold up fine.
3. No matter how good you are, eventually you're going to hit a bad shot. Cover that glass and leave at least a half inch of air between whatever **solid** protection you use and the windows. Suction cups on the glass... bad idea.
4. Do you have kids?... see #3

Finished the sunroom to sim room conversion this weekend with a buddy’s help. Some before and after pics:

Before

1EB02E63-C0D2-4C7F-B05C-DFA762C89379.jpeg

After

1CE9BD39-B26C-4C22-9803-060DD430757C.jpegAC2AE929-3CF6-4F40-B48A-1F32D8A0B1F4.jpegDE2491E1-CC60-43B5-B734-BAA43753C9E6.jpeg

Pretty much went according to plan. Took more time to get the pads up over all the glass than I thought it would - some of them were custom cut shapes and we had to make some adjustments to make sure everything fit. We used velcro tape for everything and it worked great. I didn't pad the windows behind the hitting screen because I figured the enclosure was padded well (premium hitting screen and then memory foam and an archery net holding it all together) but after we got it set up, light was leaking in during the day.

We decided to hang black tarps over the windows behind the enclosure with more velcro tape and that worked well.

The DIY enclosure kit from Carl's was easy to set up but we couldn't figure out how to install the tubing padding that came with it so we just ditched it. We also didn't use the nets as due to the short length of the room (only 16') the nets actually interfered with the swing space. Really not necessary as we are probably on 6' from the hitting surface to the screen but it deadens the ball enough not to be an issue.

Only real unforseen issue (other than the light leaking through the hitting screen was that we lost half our balls the first day, lol. Anytime you hit a high lofted wedge (or skyed a shot) the ball ended up going over the enclosure and falling behind it (we originally secured a black mesh net that was hung on a center ceiling beam via hooks in the front by securing it with bungees to the rear bar of the enclosure frame. This morning, we used velcro tape to secure it to the underside of the front top bar so the balls would funnel into the net. Working well.

What a fun project - but a lot of planning and work to get there.

I am super happy with the tech side - short throw projector is working great with a wireless connection, Skytrak and TGC 2019 working well (learning curve with getting it to consistently pick up driver shots though).

Really going to enjoy this thing!

Last edited:
Looks great - I am moving from a net and tv to an impact screen and floor mounted projector. Can you share the projector you went with?

I got an Optoma short throw projector - 4100 lumen (not sure on model #)…

4100 lumen wow...can you check the model? I need a higher lumen for the amount of light in my garage...or I make it pitch black with a small spot light over the hitting area

It's actually 4000 lumens. Optoma EH412ST. I found it a lot cheaper than this but this is the model.

Thanks Boone - project came out very nice.

Looks great: have fun with it!!

Back