Homecoming: Back To Bethpage Black

What an awesome video. The Black Course is still my favorite course that I’ve played. I’m thinking I missed out on the egg sandwich though, so that’ll be something I need to rectify next time.

You must be riding home with someone else then haha

When is the best time to play the Black course without having to camp out in the car?

That place is awesome. 15 was a beast and ate me up. People underestimate the physical and mental strain this course puts on you. From personal experience I would not recommend playing the Black after you already played 18 earlier in the day(I would do it again however in a heartbeat). Awesome experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your low score on that course? How much is the "proper egg sandwich"?

76 is my low which i'm not sure if that's good or bad considering how many times I've played it.

$3.50 - 4 for a good one. If you get charged more you know it's sh!t.

Can you provide some WITB content beyond Truvis and Marxman? Did you make any club changes for this round? Did some of the guys adjust their driver lofts (up or down?)? Thanks.

The real question is, "Did you make club changes DURING the round?" (I actually didn't this time but I have been known to do that in the past).
I actually ditched the Marxman and went with the Stroke Lab R-Ball which I freakin' love! So easy to align and gives me so much confidence over the ball.

Ghee added a degree of loft (9° to 10°) and was literally carrying it 330 with standard Flash. Kid just CRUSHES!

THanks so much for sharing JB!

Would love to answer any questions anyone has about the course/process/best reguluh pizza in the area :)

Is it worth going to Jersey to play?

How bad are out of town rates?

Who do I have to beat up to get that hat?

When is the best time to play the Black course without having to camp out in the car?

Don’t go within the next month or so - excitement over the PGA will bring out a lot of folks. Forget weekends - focus on a weekday. Best bet is hook up with a NY resident that you can play with and book 7 days in advance. Otherwise, go as a single or 2some most weekdays and you can get a time - go in the morning and expect an afternoon time, and often you can get lucky with a early time. If thinking about a 4some, that’s a tougher ask...

You must be riding home with someone else then haha
It can’t be any worse than last time—walking a five hour round in 115° heat index—stink, stank, stunk.

What an awesome video. The Black Course is still my favorite course that I’ve played. I’m thinking I missed out on the egg sandwich though, so that’ll be something I need to rectify next time.

@ddec Looks like we need to play the green and the red

It can’t be any worse than last time—walking a five hour round in 115° heat index—stink, stank, stunk.

True. I had to leave the windows down for 3 days for that car to air out. Even Lexie was avoiding my car the next day.

@ddec Looks like we need to play the green and the red

Yes yes we do.

Really enjoyed watching that! I would love to play one of the other colors with AJ one day!

Awesome video.

Hour of sleep. Needing an early tee time. 10:20ish coming thru nicely. Hit some bomb drives with your friends.

Great stuff man.

I live about 20 minutes from there. I have never slept out but play it 1-2 times a year, and I used to keep my handicap there.

Hardest holes for me are 5 and 15. Just brutal. Just ridiculously long par 4s with significantly elevated greens and brutal rough. Even from the fairway, very tough greens to hit in regulation.

Overall what makes it hard are the length and the rough, and it’s physically demanding for even the fit folks. The greens are gettable - not tricked up and not too contoured.

Nice little shout out to the Nassau Players Club, which only admits real sticks. Whenever stats are pulled by a golf publication, they have the lowest average handicap across its members compared to any other club in the country. Good friend is a newly admitted member and he loves it.

Can’t wait to follow along the PGA.

That's awesome your buddy got in Nassau Players Club Bri. I think the stat is that like a quarter of the 100 or so members have a 3.0 index or lower ��.

And the rough was definitely up. I was impressed how thick they were able to get it so early in the season. Cuz when August comes around, fuggeduhboudit!

Sometime in the fall (late september/october). Also my personal favorite time to lay :)

But if you go during the summer and don't mind teeing off in the afternoon, you can go over there at like 8-9 a.m. and should be able to get out.

Is it worth going to Jersey to play?

How bad are out of town rates?

Who do I have to beat up to get that hat?

Haha this is the last black Customs hat known to man!

Non-resident is $150, which compared to other major courses, is a damn steal.

Haha this is the last black Customs hat known to man!

Non-resident is $150, which compared to other major courses, is a damn steal.

That’s a pretty good price really.

I’d be be all over the hat, but you’re a cool dude, so I’ll just settle for mild jealousy.

Great video, thanks for sharing your experience! I’m with you, the course and the score are a sideshow to the real important stuff, hanging out with friends and having fun.

I was really upset when I found out the DMV destroyed my license and I wouldn't be able to get the NYC resident rate and advanced tee times anymore. I miss this amazing course. Great video!

@AJVCG Better breakfast sandwich, Gourmet Deli near Bethpage or Hideaway Slider?

Homecoming: Back To Bethpage Black

Loved the video, captured all the perfect moments of experiencing bethpage. Course opens back up after the PGA on 5/25, gonna try to make it out there the following Wednesday/Thursday with some NYers I know.

Last edited:
Awesome video

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I played red quite a fees ago and that walk into the clubhouse just brought back so many memories. We didn't have to wait or anything, but it was a random Friday.. pretty damn hard course but just oh so gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That was really cool.

NY does make the best breakfast sandwiches.

THanks so much for sharing JB!

Would love to answer any questions anyone has about the course/process/best reguluh pizza in the area :)

AJ, loved the mini doc! What an awesome look at an iconic course! Thanks for taking us along! This is a bucket list course for me so just wondering the best time of the year to play it, weather and course conditions? Seeing some of the putts rolled the greens looked pretty fast, is that typical throughout the year or just pre-tourney?

Great video. Would be a blast for anyone to have that experience with a group of friends, especially just before a major.

Back