Hot Take: Spieth Is The New Duval

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
My Hot Take: Jordan Spieth is the New David Duval. Let me make my case.

Jordan Spieth is currently #77 in the world. It is crazy how fast he has fallen. It got me thinking, is there any other golfer I can remember who went from being on top of the game to just losing it so quickly. One name came to mind: Duval. So let's dig a little deeper

Spieth has 14 Career Wins, Including 3 Majors. All of his wins came in a 5 year stretch from 2013 to 2017. His last win was The Open over 3 years ago now.
Duval has 20 Career Wins, Including 1 Major. All of his wins came in a 5 year stretch from 1997 to 2001. His last win was The Open.

Now I'm sure many will say, well Jordan Spieth is only 27 years old. He's going to get it back and win a lot more. Well, interestingly Duval's last win came when he was 29 years old. He never won again. Now Duval had some injuries that Spieth has not had. However, in today's game, we are quickly learning that Off the Tee play is more crucial to success than ever before. Spieth last year was 165th in Strokes Gained Off The Tee and176th the year before. As of 14 rounds so far this year he is 229th. He simply is terrible off the tee. It becomes so much harder to win when you can't be good off the tee. His results show this: His best result last year was a T-9 at Pebble Beach, and had one other top 10 and only one top 25. He had 6 Missed Cuts. He is definitely heading in the wrong direction in a big way. Maybe he simply won't get it back...becoming the next Duval.

So, let's hear it. Do you think this take is crazy, or maybe could turn out to be very accurate.....

🍿 🍿 🍿

Just here for the #JordanSpiethMafia responses

(I thought Lions take is well researched and thought through and rooted in facts, unless someone has a crystal ball, hope is not a strategy)

Last edited:
🍿 🍿 🍿

Just hear for the #JordanSpiethMafia responses

It's still early in Texas, most of them are still asleep. The bat signal will be going off soon

It's still early in Texas, most of them are still asleep. The bat signal will be going off soon

Lol, I edited my response to include a more nuanced response.

you put some good effort into wanted to add more than my GIPHYs and/or emojis

I was thinking Luke Donald when I came in but I think your compassion is more accurate. Jordan looks like he is in the toaster.

This hurts, too:

Jordan Spieth and the Reverse Bounce Back (from Golfworld)

The PGA Tour keeps a stat called Reverse Bounce Back, which measures how often a player makes a birdie or better on a hole followed by a bogey or worse on the next hole. Basically, it shows who’s best at not sustaining success. In the 2019-’20 season, Jordan Spieth managed to make a under-par score on 235 holes. That’s more than players like Dustin Johnson and Webb Simpson, who had brilliant seasons. The problem for Spieth is that he followed up with an over-par score on the next hole 48 times, making him 183rd out of 193 players. He’s also one of just 14 players with a rate worse than 20 percent. Clearly, this is the kind of thing that sabotages a good round, and the stat probably does more to give insight to the strange nature of Spieth’s struggles than any other.

Lol, I edited my response to include a more nuanced response.

you put some good effort into wanted to add more than my GIPHYs and/or emojis

There are some pretty eerie similarities. Both had an absolutely dominant 5 year stretch, and then.........

Spieth Backers and Hopefuls could try to cling to Brendan Todd's resurgence..... However Todd hits every fairway now...

There are some pretty eerie similarities. Both had an absolutely dominant 5 year stretch, and then.........

I think this was the end for DD

For Spieth when you look at the following year you can’t pinpoint one golfer JT ripped off a ton of wins Koepka won two majors and BAD finished the year strong with two back to back wins

My Hot Take: Jordan Spieth is the New David Duval. Let me make my case.

Jordan Spieth is currently #77 in the world. It is crazy how fast he has fallen. It got me thinking, is there any other golfer I can remember who went from being on top of the game to just losing it so quickly. One name came to mind: Duval. So let's dig a little deeper

Spieth has 14 Career Wins, Including 3 Majors. All of his wins came in a 5 year stretch from 2013 to 2017. His last win was The Open over 3 years ago now.
Duval has 20 Career Wins, Including 1 Major. All of his wins came in a 5 year stretch from 1997 to 2001. His last win was The Open.

Now I'm sure many will say, well Jordan Spieth is only 27 years old. He's going to get it back and win a lot more. Well, interestingly Duval's last win came when he was 29 years old. He never won again. Now Duval had some injuries that Spieth has not had. However, in today's game, we are quickly learning that Off the Tee play is more crucial to success than ever before. Spieth last year was 165th in Strokes Gained Off The Tee and176th the year before. As of 14 rounds so far this year he is 229th. He simply is terrible off the tee. It becomes so much harder to win when you can't be good off the tee. His results show this: His best result last year was a T-9 at Pebble Beach, and had one other top 10 and only one top 25. He had 6 Missed Cuts. He is definitely heading in the wrong direction in a big way. Maybe he simply won't get it back...becoming the next Duval.

So, let's hear it. Do you think this take is crazy, or maybe could turn out to be very accurate.....
Accurate. Spieth is awful right now

That response is glorious

He's also putting the way Spieth used to.... Spieth used up all of his 20 footers for his career in only 5 years.

He gone...

As bad as he has been, his short game has kept him from falling further.

You may be right, phenomenal for a stretch and is doing his best to disappear. At least Duval got hurt physically, Speith got hurt mentally & that just doesn’t heal.

Just looked up the Sagarin (Golfweek) ranking which IMO is a lot better indicator of current form than the OWGR. There Spieth is #108. He looks and sounds so lost when you see him on TV, and I can't understand why he doesn't shake up things dramatically. He should go and play some Cactus Tour events to see what it feels to be in contention / winning again.

as noted by one person, Duvals issues started with numerous physical injuries. He had vertigo or something like it for a while that I recall thinking was very strange.

Jordon's drop is he simply has lost "It". Seems like when he started playing with his driver swing to get a few extra yards he started to falter.

Well thought out response @Lions81 regarding Spieth. I’ve actually thought about this a few months ago while watching a replay of the Woods / Duval duel at St Andrew’s.

It will be interesting what happens over the next year or two.

Back