How do you convince people that THP is not only real, but that they should join?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A common theme that pops up lately, is when discussing THP, and THP events, that people don't believe us. Often we are met with "that sounds like a scam".

I've tried talking convincing friends and other golfers that they should check out THP, or join the forums...... and am met with crickets (to quote @brians)

How do you talk to people about THP, but also get them interested enough, that they join the forum and participate in the madness?

Last year when I explained to people at my club that I was playing with Mizuno and would be returning with clubs that weee days old on the market I got some interesting looks and heard the whispers behind my back about how full of 💩 i was.

It was very enjoyable returning with brand new 923’s and pictures. I still haven’t convinced any of those wet farts to join (crazy to me).

But at least this year they believe me when I told them I got to head back to play with Mizuno again at another incredible course.

It's true it IS kind of funny to explain to people that you're going to TMAG or Callaway or whomever with a bunch of dudes you know from the internet. My first time, my wife didn't really believe me ....I was like "you know that site i'm always on....ummm, they invited me to California"

It sounds like how most disappearances start.

Fortunately, here there are active threads discussing said trips you can show people and it's clearly a reputable place for anyone that would spend 5 minutes here.

Playing as a single a lot with a bunch of random people golf talk comes up quite of bit and I have told many people about THP and if you like golf it is the place to be. I have also told them about some of the awesome experiences. Sometimes I get the what's the catch or that has to cost a lot, or what's the tax bill on that or things of that nature. Sometimes people are like that's awesome and you must be really lucky for getting picked, to which I say I am lucky but everyone has a fare shot if you enter and are engaged on the forum. I always say if you want to know anything golf it is the place to be, not sure if any of them have joined or not. I always give them my username and say let me know if you join and I can give you some pointers if you wanted but never receive messages. I also tell them you can join for free but if you want a shot at some of the awesomeness a small donation to St. Jude's is required and some experiences are all inclusive and others you have to pay something but it is way less than what you get out of the experience and these are once in a lifetime things. I have played with some of the same people that have doubted things but showing up with new equipment kind of proves the point. Always tell them it is worth checking out if you like golf.

when I tell people about THP the response is always "i need to check that out" but they never do.

I don't try to convince anyone to join - If people ask I will explain / share, and give any information they want to know, but I am not trying to convince them to join me.

I've thought about this many times. Since I've been a member here I have talked up THP every chance I get on and of a course, it's just become part of my golf vocabulary. However, I don't have any friends here who have joined. One friend did a few years ago but he went inactive after about two weeks. I just don't get it.

It really is strange. They aren’t strangers to Facebook etc either so it’s not a phone thing. A few have followed up and one other “found it on his own” looking something up. Of course It was well after I told him about it lol.

I show them pictures of Ballyhack and/or my full bag of :srixon: & :cleveland: equipment. Then I explain how awesome the site/community is. At that point it's up to them if they want to participate.

I have had a few friends join but they are mostly people I know from other discussion boards. Even my golf junky friends don’t generally wind up here even though I have suggested it.

When I had my full Morgan Cup bag it was this method.

See Larry David GIF by Emmys

I've tried so many times and they all say how cool it sounds and love my new gear but never go through with joining up

I don't try to convince anyone to join - If people ask I will explain / share, and give any information they want to know, but I am not trying to convince them to join me.
Same here. I’ll tell them the Kool Aid is great but I’m not gonna force it down anyone’s throat. I won’t say a word about THP to the randos I don’t want to be paired up with again. I don’t need that kind of negativity.

I got two friends to join...one participated here for a bit but fell off. The other never did anything other than lurk for a few days. A lot of my friends don't feel the way about golf that I do though. Don't see many of them as forum people either. Sometimes it just doesn't work out but I'll never stop talking about this place if people want to finally give it a shot

I've talked about this place to others and just amazed at their indifference 🤷‍♂️

I have never suggested that anyone actually join, by that I mean I have told playing partners everything about THP, how it has helped me, how I have had the chance to play with industry people and shown them clubs I have been lucky enough to obtain. I also tell them about unofficial events where people just meet to play or have a drink (or 2).

I have mentioned that there is no cost but to participate in most contests one need to pay a small fee part of which goes to charity.

I have given the above talk to many people, all are astonished, most say they will check it out and plan to join, thus far I am aware of only one person who did join (so he's tole me :) ) but I have no idea who he is on the site. No idea if any of the others joined or not.

My wife still doesn’t quite understand that I am flying to Texas to go play golf with a bunch of guys I don’t know even though I got a complete set of clubs.

I explained the Morgan Cup and the Grandaddy to her and she was amazed by the number of posts about it. Now she does understand what I do most nights when we are sitting on the couch watching TV though.

My wife still doesn’t quite understand that I am flying to Texas to go play golf with a bunch of guys I don’t know even though I got a complete set of clubs.

I explained the Morgan Cup and the Grandaddy to her and she was amazed by the number of posts about it. Now she does understand what I do most nights when we are sitting on the couch watching TV though.

That is sooooooo funny. My wife was the exact same. We would be sitting on the couch watching TV and she'd be like "who are you texting, or are you on that golf thing again" LOL....

Then one day I was like "ummm, I'm going to California with some people from the Internet and it's all paid for" and I swear the look on her face was like "THATS A REAL THING!" ....lol

A common theme that pops up lately, is when discussing THP, and THP events, that people don't believe us. Often we are met with "that sounds like a scam".

I've tried talking convincing friends and other golfers that they should check out THP, or join the forums...... and am met with crickets (to quote @brians)

How do you talk to people about THP, but also get them interested enough, that they join the forum and participate in the madness?
This is a good one. After being incredulous, I generally bring up the website and suggest they lurk for a bit and join when / if they feel comfortable

It’s not easy. My wife thought that it was a scam the first event I went to.
My wife and friends thought the same. Then they saw pictures and the cool items I got.

It’s not easy. My wife thought that it was a scam the first event I went to.
Same. And then by the third event, she went with me :oops:

I started telling everyone that I play with about it shortly after joining and being selected to the Morgan Cup. I was met with funny looks and the occasional “oh ok I’ll check that out” but I never see or hear from them on here. I finally convinced one to join and he became and AC member but he hasn’t jumped both feet into the deep end yet. I’m sure it will happen sooner than later. I won’t stop telling golfers I come across about this place.

Honestly most pitches won’t work. I think most people see it as a gimmick or a pyramid scheme when you talk to them about it. Like it’s too good to be true. The others are just Luddites that think it’s too much effort.

I might just start asking ppl if they like golf and the internet and go from there

Back