How do You Decide? New Irons

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
How do YOU decide it’s time for new irons?

Mine are 3 yrs old (Played / Practiced monthly, no Seasons off, desert golf) and looking pretty worn on the faces. Grooves are pretty dull. But they play great still. Starting to contemplate new irons.

That is so true that it hurts :LOL:

I was all on board to get new irons and had a fitting. I am currently in JPX 900 F and the fitter was honest and said there was nothing out there that I was hitting better. He did say if I really wanted a change I can switch from the Project X LZ's to Modus Tour 120's. He said that would help dispersion. All of that was based on data.

My set from late 2016 early 2017 is still keeping up with current tech so they stay in the bag for now. I would love nothing more than to get some new shiny irons that I won't put headcovers on and devalue them but the value isn't there. I can always spend that money on a new driver or hybrid instead. That is where I see differences in performance. :)

I decide to get new irons when my wife tells me I can afford to get them. So far, I don't have them. I'm trying to get her to realize golf clubs are like purses and shoes... the more the better, and they improve yearly!

It still hasn't worked:LOL:

For me it was easy. Win a contest then have a live stream with @JB and @mrparthree
Life is good 😎

I just ordered new irons, my current set is a bit over four years old, I still hit them well enough, and I was figuring on keeping them five years or more. Then Uncle Sam decided I needed to help stimulate the economy, and sent me some money to buy new irons with! :drinks:

Went to Club Champion for a fitting, didn't buy their #1 recommendation, but did go with the shafts I was fit into, Aerotech Steelfiber i95, custom ordered in the amazing Mizuno JPX 919 Forged. So a little ahead of schedule, but what the heck, these are on the way!

reviewsethero.jpg

I generally bought irons when I felt like a change. If i had them for 3 years I would be looking unless I was playing really well.

Coming up on 5 yrs for mine. I still love them but those younger models keep smiling at me, lol

How do I decide? The second I see something new that I like and want. I do research on them (if any is available). Wait for the THP review. Find equipment I need to sell to make room/funds for the new irons.

Second. Don't tell the wife.

I hate Visio....

I'll admit that Im guility of buying new irons just because I feel like getting new irons. I dont have any real logic or reason for it and its something I really need to stop doing.
Even now, Im considering replacing my Tommy Armour Atomics with some Tommy Armour 845s. I tell myself that Id like the more traditional lofts of the 845s better but the reality is that instead of carrying the 7, 9 and AW; I would simply put the 6, 8 and PW in the bag, so the lofts really wouldnt be much different (the 845s would actually be a degree or 2 stronger than what I currently have. LOL)
Realisticly, you would probably want to upgrade irons every 5 years if you want to stick with current technology but even then, Im not so sure that new irons are much better than older irons, they just hit the ball farther because of loft jacking. What you gain in distance you lose in control and spin, so older irons may actually be better if you want to hit more green. 🤷‍♂️

Back