How do you invest in yourself?

Long time vegetarian, but that's it for the ol' body. Stopped smoking decades ago, so I don't count that.

Basically, I adopted a laissez faire attitude about many things in life, and am much less stressed out. Zen philosophy says stressing out about life isn't going to change anything, so I don't.

Prior to my civilian family, and working life, my self investment was making good decisions to stay alive.

When I became a working stiff, I had not only my family, but several employees who depended on me. Making good decisions for their current, and future well being was my self investment.

After retirement I still invested in myself by staying healthy (?) and keeping busy. Again, making good decisions.

So for all of my adult life, my self investment has been all about making good decisions.

Oh yeah, there were some bad decisions along the way, but those were investments for future, better decisions.

Interesting question, that I struggle to find an answer for.
For the last couple years as a result of COVID, I worked to work as there wasn't anything else to do.

Now, coming out of COVID, I don't know what I have. I struggle to decide where my career might take me and continue to go where I am taken rather than forging a path as I am successful enough and there is a chance to move things along on the path that I am on. Now, how do I find a way to find enrichment in my life? Do I buy myself a fun car to blast around in, do I go and travel (but am single and all my other friends are married w/ kids). Who knows. I sit in a state of flux.

How do you invest in yourself to get on track for current and future success?

This could be anything from worrying about the future and quite literally investing, buying a Theragun to invest in your body, or investing in some soda, junk food, and a cheesy movie to forget about a rough week.
Health.

It takes work to be in shape.

Be in shape.

Health mostly. After reading about and having family pull or strain muscles, I am mindful that I am not a spring chicken and have begun stretching and yoga to keep the body (lower back mostly) working and flexible. I have begun eating better, not differently, just less of. My high school metabolism is long behind me (I miss it). Lastly, finding time for myself, even if a few minutes only, helps keep me calm. Physical, dietary, and mentally stable.

Golf tries to take all of that away :p

I am taking a concerted effort to work on my physical and mental health. I've neglected both for a long time and it shows. I'm trying to golf more as it helps me with both I feel, a bit of exercise and time that I don't worry about anything. I need it more often.

I've always tried to work on certifications related to my work field, so I could stay on top of things and better myself. I've landed in an odd spot for me work wise, so trying to figure out where I go from here, and work towards that as well.

My mental health is key to a lot of this though. It's not been great for a while and I've been stuck a bit and lacked motivation to do anything. So, that is being worked on and hopefully that will lead to more/better on the other fronts as well.

Interesting question and one I’ve never thought about. At times when I feel like I’m “unbalanced” I lean on my faith and prayer to help me get back to center. I’ve done a great job of taking care of my health and in turn it’s allowed me to take care of my wife and daughters.

As I’ve gotten older I try to stay centered and not get too high or low. Focus on what’s important and in my immediate control, let the rest play out.

Some interesting replies here, really liking some of your thoughts.
Golf - new clubs, lessons, a pile of practice (might not show all the time), and bringing a better attitude to the course/range/putting green.
Work - trying to be more engaged and less engaged all at the same time. It’s hard to explain but I guess I’m trying to make A’s in 3 subjects instead of B’s and C’s in 12. I have a great team of people and I’m trying my best to be the leader they deserve. I’ve taken opportunities to do as much PD as I can to continue to grow and improve not only as a leader but as a tradesman and a professional.
Family - a year and a half ago we moved closer to the city, it was a stressful period but we are in a great spot now and not spending a ton of time driving to and from a small town on the outskirts. I’m trying to get myself into a spot where I can focus less on work and more on my kids. My relationship with my wife keeps me grounded, she’s an amazing person and is always there for me and I try to always repay her in kind.
Myself - I have always tried to make an effort to take care of the physical end of things, that’s nothing really new to me, but shortly after we moved I finally admitted I needed some professional help. Was carrying a ton of baggage and unneeded weight left over from Afghanistan/the military/other personal events and wanted out from under it. Started seeing someone through the VA and was probably the best decision I could have made as I’m in a much better headspace now. Still struggle to find the balance in all facets of my life but like everything above it’s a practice.

I have a treadmill and weight set in my garage. I work out at least 3 time a week to help my physical well being.

I’m on the road for work sometimes 3+ hours a day because of traffic. I use this time to listen to podcasts or audiobooks for self help, to learn new skills, or anything non-fiction

I got depressed. Lost my appetite. Lost weight. I'm less depressed than I was but I haven't gone back to eating as much as I used to. I don't want to do that anymore. I've got more weight I want to lose. And I'm back in the gym. I don't know that's an investment in myself... but I guess it's something.:)

I want 80% return on 20% effort and don’t like fluff. Don’t care to be out on Friday nights and would rather cook and nice meal with my honey and share a bottle of wine. I don’t get wrapped up in Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I actively watch my kids in their chosen sports and prefer not to make it a social outing to talk about this person or that person or how I’m sooooo busy and important and blah, blah, blah. I enjoy the banter here as it’s pretty low key. I don’t have excesses of anything, collections, trinkets, Knick knacks or useless things around the house. We like things simple and clean. Good friends are good friends for life and don’t need weekly reminders that we’re good friends, just see you next time.

Stress free living.

Back