How do you stay cool?

AndersonRains

Reaction score
Handicap
With the current heat wave hitting my area and two rounds scheduled for this weekend, I've been looking for ways to stay cool out on the course. Are there any cool (no pun intended) accessories you keep in your bag that you'd recommend?

Small misting fans, cold towels, umbrellas, etc.

With the current heat wave hitting my area and two rounds scheduled for this weekend, I've been looking for ways to stay cool out on the course. Are there any cool (no pun intended) accessories you keep in your bag that you'd recommend?

Small misting fans, cold towels, umbrellas, etc.

I'm old school. I carry a towel that I keep wet with cold water. Also, remember to drink plenty of fluids before during and after your rounds

I'm old school. I carry a towel that I keep wet with cold water. Also, remember to drink plenty of fluids before during and after your rounds

Bolded for emphasis. Start drinking water before you even leave for the course to help stay hydrated. A wet towel helps, as well as occasional squirts of water on the base of your neck. If it's hot, your shirt should dry fairly quickly.

Bolded for emphasis. Start drinking water before you even leave for the course to help stay hydrated. A wet towel helps, as well as occasional squirts of water on the base of your neck. If it's hot, your shirt should dry fairly quickly.

I would even go as far as to say to start paying attention to hydration the day before

Definitely ride in a cart. Try to find as much shade as possible to park under. Do not wait out on greens and other exposed places any longer than possible. Other than that I keep the sunscreen fresh because that at least reflects a lot of the sunlight. Not much more you can really do.

According to my 16 year old daughter, I don't keep myself cool. At all. In the slightest.

Poor some for water into my yet and flop it on my head. Cool moist towel in the cooler to go around the neck

I'm with @Bernoulli . Just start drinking, if you wait until you feel dehydrated you're already far behind. Stay up with drinking WATER TYPE BEVERAGES - don't think a 12 pack of coor's is going to keep you hydrated.

I'm getting a push cart, but when it's going to be that hot I'm going to be riding still - just to stay safe and healthy. I have no problem putting down 40-60oz of water in 9 holes (big flask with ice + another bottle of water once it's empty) if it's hot out.

Keep a hat on your head, stand in the shade if you can. I saw someone from Shaft Up 2 had a little Ryobi (iirc?) fan - that's a great idea if it's not windy.

I'm in the cold towel camp.

Anyone ever tried something like this?

I wear a wide brim hat and stay in the shade as much as possible, and drink plenty of water.

I recently started using a product called Liquid IV which is a powder you mix in 16 ounces of water. I drink 1 at the beginning of the round and 1 at the turn, along with several other bottles of water. For what it's worth, it's made a big difference for me in this 90 degree, 90% humidity we've experienced the last week.

I know how Canadan does it; he lives in Canada.

Cooling towel, my cart w roof and two fans, plus I have an Aussie Chiller hat. You can soak it w water and it can help keep your head cool.
1655408230717.jpeg

Drink enough water to pee clear and have to pee often.

Works in the desert wearing tons of gear, works even better golfing.

Wide brimmed hat, or sun umbrella.

Wet towel.

I will freeze a couple gatorade bottles of water to bring so I have nice cold water with me and when those are gone, fill them up and drink those. Wet towel, riding instead of walking, and hanging out under the trees where possible is all I tend to do, but it doesn't get that hot here very often (and even when it is hot for here, it's not like South hot).

I used to carry a cold towel.

Most of the time now I just make sure to carry plenty of cold water/ice water, a good wide brimmed hat, and lots of snacks like grapes or watermelon that are cooler. A clean towel doused in ice water does absolute wonders.

After getting sun stroke last year puttering around the yard, I never want to come close to that again. Dizzy, puking, unable to stand up.... and then people insisting you have Covid....... none of that was fun.

I use those white sleeves on my arms - noticeable difference

My late uncle had a terry cloth bucket hat that he’d soak and wear. August in Myrtle Beach he’ll play until you can’t take it anymore.

Cooling towel and neck gaiter. I drink a lot of water.

1) Wear light-colored clothing.
2) Keep a cool towel in an ice chest, wipe your head down and wrap it around your neck in between shots/holes.
3) Seek shade whenever possible.
4) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
5) ....and drink some kind of electrolyte mix to replenish what you're losing in sweat.
6) Ride, don't walk. It's less strenuous and you also get more shade from the cart roof.
7) Wear a wide-brimmed hat (preferably an Aussie Soaker type that you can wet). I take mine off while in the shade to let my head get some airflow and help dissipate the heat.

Mango-scented towels help, but not all courses have them.

I have used one of those chiller cooling towels around my neck - they work well imo. The key is electrolyte balance - a pinch of salt in every 4th water.

I played today. Temp was about 92* with the same amount of humidity and the dew point was 75! Wore a Callaway wide brim hat, drank a lot of water, and used a "cooler" towel. The towel is like a chamois and stayed wet and cool for the entire round.

water and gatorade type drinks...

Back