How does UST TSPX Dart V compare to Mitsubishi MMT?

JS Golf

Reaction score
I would like to get some input/comparison between Mitsubishi MMT vs UST TSPX Dart V. Shaft.

For players who had chance to play both shafts how do they compare?
Which shafts is firmer assuming similar weight and flex?
How about feel at impact, shaft load and smoothness of the shaft.

In terms of MMT 105, I really can't say is smooth. It's very firm and stable a with touch of softness.

Is Dart V tip stiff shaft? I know that MMT is tip stiff shafts and it can definitely increase swing weight on the clubs. I know when I went from LZ 5.5 to MMT 105S. Despite the shaft being slightly lighter, I think swing weight has increased about 2 scales.

Looking for something little more smoother then MMT.

I would like to get some input/comparison between Mitsubishi MMT vs UST TSPX Dart V. Shaft.

For players who had chance to play both shafts how do they compare?
Which shafts is firmer assuming similar weight and flex?
How about feel at impact, shaft load and smoothness of the shaft.

In terms of MMT 105, I really can't say is smooth. It's very firm and stable a with touch of softness.

Is Dart V tip stiff shaft? I know that MMT is tip stiff shafts and it can definitely increase swing weight on the clubs. I know when I went from LZ 5.5 to MMT 105S. Despite the shaft being slightly lighter, I think swing weight has increased about 2 scales.

Looking for something little more smoother then MMT.
IMO, the TSPX V would definitely check your wants off compared to the MMT. I reviewed both shafts and the MMT are to this day one of the more stout options in terms of they’re simply very “there” with little flow or feel to them.
The V TSPX on the other hand are stout without that lack of feel and feedback, they’re shockingly smooth, even in the 125 F5 I play. They’re also not as tip heavy as the MMT when building in my experience.

So you are saying TSPX Dart V is softer, smoother shaft and not as firm as MMT?

These are the 2 shafts that I have been going back and forth on in my clubs.
I have found the MMT to be a slightly harsher feel, especially as you move up in weight. For instance the 85R was very smooth, but I had some initial concerns when I went to the 95S. Those have all been worked out now and I am very comfortable in my MMT 95S in my Apex Pro/CB combo, but there still exists a slight stout feeling especially in transition.

I found the Dart V to be quite the opposite. Just holding it, it feels like rebar. Yet in transition it loads so very easily, much much smoother IMO than the MMT. That said, I did soft step my Dart V 90 to get just a bit more smoothness out of it.

These are the 2 shafts that I have been going back and forth on in my clubs.
I have found the MMT to be a slightly harsher feel, especially as you move up in weight. For instance the 85R was very smooth, but I had some initial concerns when I went to the 95S. Those have all been worked out now and I am very comfortable in my MMT 95S in my Apex Pro/CB combo, but there still exists a slight stout feeling especially in transition.

I found the Dart V to be quite the opposite. Just holding it, it feels like rebar. Yet in transition it loads so very easily, much much smoother IMO than the MMT. That said, I did soft step my Dart V 90 to get just a bit more smoothness out of it.
Like this conversation as the MMT and the Dart V are two of the graphites on my list as I plan to transition my irons from steel to graphite this winter.
I can get quick in my transition and when that happens will turn it over too much and get the hard draw. Feeling aside would one of these be better than the other to help counteract the quick transition?
I am also considering the recoil dart in the graphite conversation but am going in with an open mind and may find something not on the initial list.

MMT definitely feels way less active. If you have a smooth transition then the Darts will definitely be the shaft for you

For me MMT 105S is a great shaft. Just that it wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. My main issue (although I am getting use to it) is the fact that after I changed the shaft from LZ 5.5 to MMT 105S, my swing weight has increased 2 or 3 scales based on my estimation so my club feels much heavier despite the fact total weight of each club has gone down a little. I think this is due to the fact that MMT shaft has steel mesh at or around tip section of the shaft. Also I read that MMT does make your club heavier.

I also have another iron set which has LZ 5.5 and the club swing weight is lighter despite the fact that over all club weight is slightly heavier which I prefer.

Maybe I will try TSPX Dart V 105 S or F4 and see. Just ordered set of TSPX Dart V 105 F4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010_233050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_233050_Gallery.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Like this conversation as the MMT and the Dart V are two of the graphites on my list as I plan to transition my irons from steel to graphite this winter.
I can get quick in my transition and when that happens will turn it over too much and get the hard draw. Feeling aside would one of these be better than the other to help counteract the quick transition?
I am also considering the recoil dart in the graphite conversation but am going in with an open mind and may find something not on the initial list.
If the feel helps smooth that transition for you, the Dart V could be nice. If you're going to transition quick regardless though, it can feel very active. Still blows my mind. Most people don't consider me very aggressive, but I can feel it a lot at the top even on partial swings. What you're used to will play a role too.

So I am pondering these shafts right now. @JS Golf just curious how this played out for you if you've tried the Dart V? Or if anyone else has anything to add.

My experience with Dart V is limited however I did get to test the 105S against MMT 105S. All measured launch monitor parameters were very similar. Feel was the biggest differentiator. Dart felt like a soft stiff whereas MMT felt like a stiff bordering on X flex.

Last edited:
I would echo this that the Dart felt a little more active or smooth compared to my time with the MMT. Personally I lean towards the MMT feel but thats a me thing.

So I am pondering these shafts right now. @JS Golf just curious how this played out for you if you've tried the Dart V? Or if anyone else has anything to add.
I put a post while back about the 2 shaft comparison.
Below is what I wrote.

I recently purchased both shafts. On Dart V 105 F4, I installed Muira CB 502 heads and on MMT 105S, I installed Vega VC-01 heads.
Based on playing around with both shafts, below are my personal opinions and thoughts about Shafts.

One thing I noticed is that MMT has heavier swing weights compared to Dart V. I would say it's about 2 scales depending on the lengths, grips and other potential factors. MMT shafts have mesh steel inserted at tip section of the shaft for stability causing the tip section of the shaft to be heavier (this is my assumption)

When comparing both shaft at ball impact, Dart V has more feel to the ball vs MMT which is bit more muted.

Both shaft are firm/stable and play true to flex.
In terms of dispersion, both are very similar based on my opinion. Both hit very straight.

In terms of smoothness of the shaft, I personally don't feel neither shaft are smooth. Maybe it's because I came from Modus 120 which is extremely smooth shaft despite being steel.

Kinda hard to explain but both MMT and Dart V is firm with hint of softness at impact with MMT being more of thud feel. I don't mean soft in a sense that shaft is noodles but I would say more of in terms of feed back on impact.

Here is the reason why I decided to put Dart V on Muira and MMT on Vega. Muira CB-302 heads in general have bit more bouncy soft feel vs Vega has clean soft feel at impact. When I had the MMT installed on Muira, the ball felt really muted with lack of ball feel. When I switched to Dart V, the ball feel came more alive. Vega VC-01 being (supposedly) less forgiving than Muira CB-302, it's more sensitive to ball feel at impact so with MMT, the muted feel definitely help on mis- hits while maintaining the soft feel (bit less on clean soft feel)

One thing I noticed going from steel shaft to graphite is that initially, both felt lack of ball feel at impact with more lacks of feel with MMT. As you use the clubs more, you will feel the ball more and more. I think it's just your body or brain getting use to playing graphite. Kinda like when a person can't see, your ears becomes more and more sensitive to noise. (sorry about corny example)

Overall both are good shaft and if I had to choose, it will be a hard decision and depending on which head I will use. If it's Vega, I would pick MMT, if Muira, it would Dart V.

Here how I would put it. If irons heads are more sensitive to ball feel at impact, I would pick MMT. If the heads are less sensitive or so called forgiving heads with wide or wider sole, I would go with Dart V. Example, I also have 2013 Onoff Forged Iron set with Modus 120S. Onoff 2013 forged irons is very very soft and forgiving iron heads. If I had to pick a shaft for the Onoff, I would pick Dart V but if had to pick a shaft for a Vega VM-01 which is a blade ( I sold few months ago) I would pick MMT.

Back