How Does Winter Impact Your Game?

i get busy at work. that’s about it.

You walk 9 miles/day and walking a golf course is the toughest part?
It’s just such a different type of walking instead of treadmill or local park. The hills etc give me a real workout. I definitely feel it for a day or two for sure.

Hitting the ball is easy. Finding them is the hard part lol.

Last edited:
Out of the gate it's pretty bloody ordinary.

It is NOT like riding a bike. Takes me a month to get any semblance of swing feel back

Winter effects my game a LOT.

I was in Lubbock this past weekend visiting my brother - due to the craziness of the flights I had, I didn't bring my clubs and instead borrowed my dads.

Combine not swinging a club since December with foreign clubs and no warm-up - it was a bit of an adventure.

Took me about 9-10 holes to feel like I was even making a decent pass at the golf ball.

Working Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Wedges especially it takes some time to get that feel back. Ballstriking is a close second. I usually spend a lot of time doing conference room swing work in the winter. It’s a crapshoot if that translates over to real improvement in ballstriking this year it has.

Huge impact for me. I lose a bit of distance, I feel like I lost a TON of wedge control. Those 20-40 yard shots I was hitting well at the end of last season are all but gone.

It wrecks the short game, and there is a lot of rust to knock off.

So many ways. Loss of a consistent swing, loss of feel or touch around the greens. Sure there are things you can do and its getting easier now to do things in the offseason but its not the same.

It makes an already bad game worse. Especially wedges. They’re always the first to go sour.

winter here is the occasional frost delay, cart path only if it rains and I may wear two pullovers first thing in the morning.

Usually I lose my hands in the short game. I don’t hit a lot of greens and usually my short game is pretty good. When it’s off scoring is bad

Short game is what suffers the most for me, like a lot of others. Anything that requires touch takes a bit to get back. I spend more time around the putting and chipping greens in March/April than on the driving range.

It usually combines wet conditions, wind, and punched greens so my short game goes fubar but I get a lot of practice with the long irons.

No roll with the driver and hitting into wind changes a lot of holes from a 9i in, to hitting a 4i or more just to advance the ball. Good times.

It doesn't affect it too much. I'm able to hit balls all winter as we have heated bays, along with Top Tracer Range. The only issues being the mats are more forgiving than grass, and you can't do much short game practice.

Normally I spend a lot of time with my SkyTrak during the winter but this year I tore it down and it took me forever to re-do it, we put a ball through the cheaper screen I had put in originally so I bought a bigger, better screen. Normally when I take this much time off I have a really sore back for the first couple weeks and then it goes back to normal except for a dull ache when I play a lot. Most of my game isn't too bad but like many have mentioned it takes a bit for my short game to come back, though I generally play pretty well while I'm not overswinging.

So back pain and short game inconsistencies after winter is the biggest impact.

It doesn't affect it too much. I'm able to hit balls all winter as we have heated bays, along with Top Tracer Range. The only issues being the mats are more forgiving than grass, and you can't do much short game practice.

Yeah i'm on trackmans or in bays so much my ballstriking is always fine too.

But the first rounds of the season are always the same
-Yardages look so much longer (like, i'm 150 out but i think it's like 200)
-The hole looks tiny
-The first bunker i was in last year i think it took me 5 shots to get out of it lol

First 2 iron shots were shanks sooo that should tell you 😂.

Also notice my flexibility isn't there but then I seem to start figuring it out.

Yeah i'm on trackmans or in bays so much my ballstriking is always fine too.

But the first rounds of the season are always the same
-Yardages look so much longer (like, i'm 150 out but i think it's like 200)
-The hole looks tiny
-The first bunker i was in last year i think it took me 5 shots to get out of it lol
And, don't forget the mud, lol.

My golf game goes to crap in the winter. After hitting my best ever of a 79, I have only broken 90 once since. The dormant grass and cold weather has taken its toll. My game is just starting to come back, but it has more to do with the warmer weather I think. My driver is in time out, and my 3W has been on fire, so I use that. My chipping on dormant grass is pretty bad, and that was my bread and butter. Come on warmer weather, but not too warm.

Living in Minnesota I usually don't get to play at all in the winter. It takes several outings in the spring to get even a semblance of a swing back anymore. Timing and solid connection are the main problems in the spring for me. This year I got to spend all of February in south Texas, near South Padre Island so I got to play a bit there. It took me
a couple of range sessions and three rounds before I started to feel a bit better about my swing. I remains to be seen how it works out for me when we get to play in Minnesota again. It may be fairly soon as the weather has been nicer than normal and a couple of courses are open already. We can't be too sure of the weather until at least the middle of April and sometimes into May. We usually get at least a little snow yet in April.

Just overall ball striking, it takes some time for me to start hitting the middle of the clubface.

Winter has always been the best time for golf, having spent 100% of my life in the southeastern U.S., Texas, Arizona and Mexico. After spending the last couple of years in Cabo, where it's really expensive, I didn't play as often as I had in the States. Ball-striking was always OK, but my short game suffered the worst.

Ironically, I sometimes play great my very first round and then I struggle with a few things for two or three rounds. I have always been puzzled as to why.

Back