How does your public courses handle slow play

A. They watch a group tee off and play the first hole. If it is obvious the group is very inexperienced and/or slow, they drive out, advise the group to return to the clubhouse for a refund and direct them to our city executive course.
B. Rangers check groups with respect to the pace rated time. If the group is on pace, they typically can’t do anything. If there is a large gap, they may ask a group to wait on the next tee and allow a faster group through.
C. If a group is off pace and there is a gap, they will require the group to allow the trailing group to play through. They will also advise the slow group to pickup the pace to close the gap. If a group is clearly unable or unwilling to move at the rated pace, the ranger may ask the group to return to the clubhouse for a refund.

All this drama does not occur frequently. Rangers are also able to dispense advice on playing more efficiently (drop off the passenger and a couple clubs at his ball, then drive to yours while he hits. Then you hit and you go back to get your buddy while he walks toward you).

200.gif

The rangers try to speed things up, but that often doesn't help. Weekends can be brutally slow. If I can't get an early tee time, I usually just don't play

Haven't seen many at the courses I'm playing around here. Very seldom do you see them anyone from the course after the 1st tee.

Public courses around here do absolutely nothing all they want is your money. And they’ll be glad to take more and more people and stack them up

Most of our public courses don't really bother but the nicer public courses we play usually have a Marshall who pushes some

Is it April 1st? Lol. They do nothing. Maybe even less than nothing to somehow make it even worse if it looks really really crowded.

I sometimes feel we are in a social experiment.

Pack more players on to slow it further?

Every once in awhile you’ll see someone from the course driving a golf cart checking in with groups. They’ll mention something if pace is a serious concern.

One course has clocks on the 1st, 4th, 10th and 13th tee boxes with notes saying something like “this should be your time if you started at…”

When playing solo, and following a different league night, my home course has from time-to-time softened the blow of slow play by bringing the drinks cart around and very generously offered me something on the house.

Most don't. There are 2 or 3 with really good rangers that make them speed up. 1 will pull them off the course but it's very rare.

A good starter can do some things. 1st remind everyone about pace of play & ready golf. 2nd, tell everyone to pull down the cart paths, past the green whenever possible. Never leave a cart in front of the green. Write your scores down when you get to the next tee. And remember to have fun!

They don't do anything. But the clubhouse guys do the bare minimum all day, so I don't expect anything else.

They don’t get too wound up about it and neither do most of the people playing. It’s country golf, Bubba.

My home course had rangers but stopped using them 2 years ago. They let individual players and two-somes go out on a regular basis. They do nothing to improve slow play problems.

We just keep hitting balls at the slow group until they let us thru or end up in the ER.;) JK, we do nothing.

I have not seen a marshall that cared on a municipal course in 20 years. On daily fee courses I have seen them work on getting things moving - though the success rate is not strong. Basically they asked that we (of all the groups) pick up mid hole and go to the next as there 'was a full hole between us and the group in front of us.' We did and were waiting at the hole after that - the marshall would not make eye contact with any of us from that point on. We had tried explaining but he would not hear it, so when we 'caught up' and waited - on every remaining hole he pretended we didn't exist I guess. Assshole.

One course sends out someone who has no clue how to find the bottleneck. Another course told me from the first tee to push the group ahead. The group was obviously going to be painfully slow. One hole behind after 2 holes type of slow. Most public courses do nothing. Rarely do they even acknowledge there’s an expected pace of play.

Not a thing. Actually they don’t even monitor pace of play.

Nothing is done on the muni's here.

Basically nothing like so many others have said.

Short answer? It doesn't.

Back