How early is too early for golf?

Teed off at 7am yesterday, sunrise was 7:02. 3 groups went off before us, 1st group had their cell phone lights on while they teed off. That is too early. If I can see the ball and have a decent idea of where it is going I want to play golf.

We finished in under 3:30 on a course that 1 time took 3 hours for 9 holes.

If there's enough light to see the ball and the groundskeeper says go, I'm in. Love me some dawn patrol golf.

When the season is in full swing and we have an abundance of sunshine, I’m up at 4am on the course around 4:45 and pretty much have the course to myself.

Now I get to the course at 6am and there are already people there as well - today was busier than normal and I went and just practiced shortgame on 17/18 :cautious:

So how early is too earl for golf for you? For me it’s never too early.

Where do you live that you have enough light at 0445 to play golf? I don't think we had light that early when I lived in Germany and that latitude was pretty far up there. You in Alaska?

most of our courses don't open till 6ish....i would love to be one of the first groups out but talking my playing partners into that isn't going to happen. so 8am it is.

most of our courses don't open till 6ish....i would love to be one of the first groups out but talking my playing partners into that isn't going to happen. so 8am it is.

Would you forgo playing with your current partners to playing an earlier time slot based on other factors?

If the sun is up that’s all I need. Consider it good timing

If there's enough light to see the ball and the groundskeeper says go, I'm in. Love me some dawn patrol golf.

This. It's the light, not the clock, that decides.

When the season is in full swing and we have an abundance of sunshine, I’m up at 4am on the course around 4:45 and pretty much have the course to myself.

Now I get to the course at 6am and there are already people there as well - today was busier than normal and I went and just practiced shortgame on 17/18 :cautious:

So how early is too earl for golf for you? For me it’s never too early.
The golfers all learned to get out early to avoid the crowd, get done and have most the day left for other things in life.
However, when too many are using the same time, the early tee time had also become "prime time JAM ".
Used to be just a handful of golfers willing to get up before Sunrise to get to the golf course for the first few tee times. Now there are more and more golfers willing to do the same.
This time of the year, if the weather forecast is dry, the golf course will be busy.
I don;t know about your area, we had a cold spell over the weekend, temperature was 10-15 degrees below the average for this time of the year.
Mountain pass already seen snow and some parts of the low lands had sleet, hail and some snow. Frosted windshield and roadway were present in most of the places.
more traffic on the golf course when the weather man/lady says dry for the most part of the day.
I wonder if more people work at home or have flexible work hours.
Golf courses seemed to be filled with younger golfers whom should be at work during the weekdays.

The golfers all learned to get out early to avoid the crowd, get done and have most the day left for other things in life.
However, when too many are using the same time, the early tee time had also become "prime time JAM ".
Used to be just a handful of golfers willing to get up before Sunrise to get to the golf course for the first few tee times. Now there are more and more golfers willing to do the same.
This time of the year, if the weather forecast is dry, the golf course will be busy.
I don;t know about your area, we had a cold spell over the weekend, temperature was 10-15 degrees below the average for this time of the year.
Mountain pass already seen snow and some parts of the low lands had sleet, hail and some snow. Frosted windshield and roadway were present in most of the places.
more traffic on the golf course when the weather man/lady says dry for the most part of the day.
I wonder if more people work at home or have flexible work hours.
Golf courses seemed to be filled with younger golfers whom should be at work during the weekdays.

Good thoughts right there

As soon as I can see the ball to tee off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play early all Summer. Now I like to get a tee time between 11 and noon. 11:01 tomorrow, 11:52 the other day.

Never to early for me. Up at 4:45 everyday. We are the first group off which would be 6 am depending on the daylight and course restrictions. I like to play at sun up.

I never thought about it until yesterday; I played very early for an outing and wow I sucked. I think I needed a slightly later start.

Anything before 8:00 and it takes me several holes to get going. I’m just not a morning person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple answer for me, never to early. We have played many of times just at sun rise (5.25 am NY summer time) and most of those times teeing off in the dark at around 5 am, sometimes with glow balls :D

I prefer early but generally...not before 7am? Messes up my sleep routine.

Also, we bumped into a couple guys that started before the sun was up playing with these LED lit tracer golf balls. THAT'S too early.

I retired in 1990 so I have no interest in getting up early to play golf. My wife and I usually get out for a 9 AM tee time and as it gets into the fall and winter months we usually wait until the temps are up to at least 45 degrees. Getting up to play as the sun rises just makes it like a job to me and I play for the enjoyment of the game these days.

I’d rather be out there before the workers arrive. Golf has no defined start time for me.

I don't think I've ever had a tee time before 7am. Mostly due to when courses open... but not opposed to a 6am start.

Back