How Good is Your Short Game?

There’s a lot of room for improvement. My up & down percentage isn’t anywhere near where I need it to be.

Apart from bunkers, my short game is solid. No place to practice the sand game right now.

Not nearly as good as it used to be. In my opinion short game is the one area that needs constant practice. The full swing stuff is like riding a bike, but short game deteriorates quickly if if aren't putting in the work.

Won $240.00 today in our Friday afternoon bucket pitch. (Pitching balls into/at 5 gallon buckets full of water (so they dont bounce out or get knocked over) from 20-50 yards. 25 bucks from each player to can one. 10 bucks from each player to hit the bucket on its side..... I canned two and hit the bucket once. They quit after the 3rd round, backing up 10 yards per round, so we never got to the 50 yard.......
Did I mention I really like my CBX Zipcores?

I've been grinding short game (100y and in) for a couple of weeks. I've got a nice practice area at my club where I can hit wedge shots up to 100y.
I'll throw down 10 balls and start at around 30y. I have to get all 10 balls to 10-15 ft. Then I'll move back 15 yards until I run out of room. Most days this takes me around an hour to get back to 80ish. I'm starting to finally see some fruits of that labor. I had some really nice chips and pitches today.

This one on 16 this morning was so good..

yikes flared that five iron badly.
IMG_2832.jpeg

I’m glad I’ve been working on my short game so much. This was a beautiful 58 over the bunker nearly jarred it.
IMG_2833.jpeg

My round on Saturday had 1 pin hit and 3 lip outs from off the green. I'd love to say my short game is great but I think the stars happened to align. I have a family outting tomorrow at a par 3 course so my short game should get a work out. I'll know the truth afterwards...

7.-titanic-sinking-Screen-Shot-2022-04-14-at-12.10.37-AM.jpg

It needs more improvement than any part of my game. Been spending lots of time at the short game area. But the biggest thing to work on is shot commitment and contact on course.

Actually has come around. I'm solid mostly, but will still have some arrant shots

The sim game I play at the local driving range has made me so much better with the wedge. I try to get out there once a week and play one of the famous courses they have on the Top Tracer program they installed a couple years ago.

Obviously there is no putting. So every hole finishes with a 50 yard wedge shot. Like the putter on the course the wedge is the club most used in a round. Using it so much has really improved the wedge game when I'm on the course.

*Sigh*, If I could only hit a more consistent fairway shot with the other clubs. I'd be good at this game. Thankfully the wedge can save more holes.

Mine has kind of backslid this year. I think a large part of that is just trying to do too much. Really need to focus on starting the ball on my intended line and distance control. I've been trying to hard too create spin on both pitches and chips and it's led to poor results.

It's kind of my lifesaver. Batteries of things is that body or swing can be good or bad on any given day, but wedge in is what makes the score usually in the end. So I work at it more than the rest.

I've seen improvement, but I still need to be more consistent. Any time I flub a shot I can almost guarantee double or worse.

Still not consistent with my wedges yet.
i redefine my short game shots as
Balls that roll (putt/some chips)
Balls that check /lots of underspin ( some chips/pitch)
Ball that little/no spin ( flops)
I think that’s why chipping is hard to define. There so many ways to do it

What was once by far the best part of my game is now by far my biggest weakness. I am still pretty good at flop shots and out of the sand. I can't hit a simple chip shot with any consistency any more. I am working on it and it is getting better, but I don't have the confidence I used to have.

Last edited:
My short game is pretty strong. It has to be since I struggle to get GIRs. I probably have more one putt pars than anyone on the planet. That's not a brag, that's just showing how little I spin the ball. I am always coming up just short or just long of the green depending on the speed of the greens or how soft the approach grass is.
The approach shot is the weakest part of my game so my short game has had to shine.

For my index, above average from greenside bunkers, average for low to medium trajectory chip or pitch shots, and a bit below average for lob/high trajectory pitch shots from 30-50 yards. Knowing that is a weakness that I don't want to spend time practicing, I almost never leave myself in a spot inside 50 yards where I'm limited to needing to hit a lob shot. If I can't get to a safe spot closer than 30 yards from the green surface, I'm laying back to about 85 yards where I can hit a full LW, An example rom today is when I laid up with a 9 iron instead of attempting a par 5 approach shot from 234 yards that was risky with a creek short and right of the green. I made birdie after hitting my LW from 85 yards to 7 feet.

Last edited:
My short game (outside of bunkers) is greatly improved in the past year and I think why I'm scoring better overall! My bunker game appears to be getting slightly better, I'm really focusing on keeping my weight forward and finishing my swing, but I will still take 3 out of the sand from time to time. If I see too many traps, it just destroys my scores, every single time. :oops:

My wedge game is pretty darn solid. But today we were on a fairly challenging course 74.2/140, I found my CBX 58* lob wanting a few times for its lack of shot manufacturing ability.
I just couldnt open that wide azz sole on my lob wedge enough for some of the tougher lobs and pitches I needed on this course. And it has even made me not take some of the shots I wanted on my flatland courses. I still love the CBX Zips,and the 44. 50 and 54 are welcome to stay, they are automatic in square faced full shots, pitches and chips, but in the workhorse 58* position, the 58/8 M grind Vokey is back in the bag.

Last edited:
My short game seemingly is either great or awful, relative to my handicap. I don’t know why, but it always has been this way.

My short game could be the most improved part of my game.

Best part of my game. As a stroke survivor and a once full time caregiver I'm just happy to be out on the course swinging golf clubs!
Not only do I make a lot of up and downs but I have made shots I haven't practiced! I've always done well getting out of bunkers.

Short game is the best part of my game. Once I get comfortable in this season, I will be pitching and chipping with the best of them.. My approach shots are what needs the most work...

It is ok and getting better. I am realizing the simpler i keep it the better my short game is getting.

Back